It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
(female)

ad434 HB User
possible leukemia

Hello,

So since May of this year my 3 year old daughter has has mastoiditis (infection of the bone inside her ear) requiring emergency surgery (to drain the infection and place tubes in her ears) and IV antibiotics, about 15 ear infections, pneumonia, 2 skin infections, 4 or 5 yeast infections (mouth and genital), a UTI, night sweats, fatigue, recurrent right sided facial paralysis and random fevers (appears fine but has a temperature of 102-103). All of my daughter's infections were bacterial, not viral. I had taken her to her GP and called her ENT every time she developed a new infection and everyone said it was bad luck, as a 3 year pre-med student I had some concerns so I asked her allergist about it on Monday who was concerned as well so he set up an appointment for my daughter with the immunologist the next day (yesterday).

The immunologist suspects something is wrong with her immune system (thank-you captain obvious!), the doctor suspects a secondary immunodeficiency and one of the possibilities is that the immunodeficiency is caused by a malignancy, leukemia, lymphoma and disseminated neuroblastoma were mentioned. She had blood drawn today for a CBC + diff (and peripheral blood smear), antibody levels, C3 and C4, and titers for things she should have immunity to (reubella and tetanus), the results should be in in a week or two...

So, to placate my own anxiety, did anyone else's children have recurrent infections as their major symptom? My daughter has bruises all over her legs, but she is very much a tom-boy and I think that the bruises are normal for her, she's always climbing and loves to play rough with the other kids (wrestling and whatnot), she has no petechial rash but she does take a while to stop bleeding (she scratched her ankle a few days ago, a tiny little scratch and the sucker bled for a good 15 minutes, even with direct pressure using a cold compress)....

I suspect that I may be a tad neurotic, but I spend all day reading about "worst case scenarios" that all of this is really scary. If you have a child who has or had any type of cancer, how did you come to suspect that something was wrong? Was recurrent infections his/her only symptom? How long did it take from when the infections began to when they were diagnosed (my daughter began developing these infections in late May, seems like a long time to go with no other symptoms??)...

If anyone can answer any of my questions I would really appreciate it. I'm sure this forum is visited a lot by nervous parents and I am sorry if I made anyone roll their eyes, but I don't know where else to go for answers...I know you guys can't tell me if something is very wrong with her or not...I guess I'm kind of hoping for "nope, no way, there would be way more symptoms"...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

FastUno HB UserFastUno HB User
Re: possible leukemia

Has your daughter been playing a lot in the grass outside? †Does she like to go outdoors often? †Do you live in a wooded area, or area where there are many outside animals? †Do You have a dog or cat?

My niece has constant eye infections, ear infections, throat infections. †She is tired at times but also energetic. †She is emotional at times, but also very quiet during others. She looks sickly at times and revived during other times. †Her lower tummy hurts at times, but she has many more good days. †So what does she have?

She has Lyme disease! †I have gotten sick as well starting April 2011, but have different symptoms. †Since then I was shocked that 13 people in six adjacent houses right next to me have gotten bit or have health issues. †I have discovered that people and family all around my connection have it, from state to state. †From my best friend who got bit years ago and just now 20 yrs later got tested. †I have done hours of reading and I am completely amazed at what I have discovered. †Dear medical student, it would behoove you to read voraciously about this disease. †Take everything that you think you know about it with a pound of salt.

I know you will think that this cannot be with your daughter, just as ill informed and Ignorant I have been. †Your biggest weapon now will be your desire to peal the layers and uncover the truth.

Lyme and confections cause autoimmune symptoms and lowers ones immunity. †We are dealing with a Spirochete that burrows into any organ and tissue, causing symptoms and damage as much as there are functions within the human body, which basically boils down to vast quantities!

This is a growing EPIDEMIC, for which your med school, hospitals, and general practitioners will most likely not be able to provide answers for. †

Your daughter has Lyme. Like I said, if you need my help for some sense of direction I am here.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
(female)

Sombrita86 HB User
Unhappy Re: possible leukemia

I am ne to this, I hope your daughter has been diagnosed properly by now. I hope that it is not leukemia. I saw my late husband go through a battle with it for 2 years. I lost him in 1986. He was 39 years old. He was told by his doctor that he could try a bone marrow transplant. He turned it down. I wish he would have done it. Who knows if it could have been successful. Since that time, the prognosis for leukemia patients has gotten better. I understand there are better medications and treatements. Wish you the best for your daughter and you. My prayers are with you both.

Closed Thread