It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
(male)

Daddy good HB User
Low platelets and high red cell count-is this early leukeamia

Hi my name is Paul,

I am a 37 year old male.

I was working as a spray painter using paint containing xylene and ethyl benzene.

8 week ago I was overly exposed by given a pair of latex gloves to spray in, the solvents contains the xylene and ethyl benzene eventually dissolve the gloves and then passed through my skin carrying the latex proteins with it. I then reacted , with my hands swelling to 3 times their size and turn into sort of open sores with liquid oozing out of the, as I had touched my face my face also swelled to 3 times it's normal size - I looked like the elephant man, I was subsequently rushed to hospital and they said acute contact dermatitis. Over the last 8 week I have regularly seen a dermatologist regarding my hands and face and have been taking - prednisolone, chloramphenamine, atarax, as well as using several topicals, anyway I began getting bruising- what I call none contact bruising - in other I can't remember banging myself there plus they aren't painful, and some have been pretty big. I have also had a sharp pain in the bottom of my left ribs, I am very fatigue, I also have pain -dull pain at the base of my neck - feels like cramp all the time, have been feeling malaise- and snappy.

I went to my gp and he sent me for blood tests, Everything went fine I though, I received a letter asking if I would phone the doctor for results, anyway phoned and he told me platelets low - 65 and red cell count is high, but white is within range. So sent me for a second test, said it is routine, anyway had the second test and the amount of bruising on my arm is alarming - normally blood is fine, but even where the very none tacky tape was holding the cotton in place has whelmed up and is dark purple.

I have bad rashing on the top of my arms and rear of shoulders, have bad rashing at base of back on both sides, have a rash on my shins and back of legs in calf area, having scratched these they are sort of pox holes that bleed very easily.

On top of this I have a heavy feeling in the rear of my head on right hand side.

Anyway I have educated myself in xylene and ethyl benzene, and even to the point were I ended getting health and safety executive involved at my works before they sacked me.

Cut a long story short, I was exposed for over 5 months to the tune of 10,000 ppm, then the way I look at it, the latex has brought it to an head, or giving me a warning, and that has triggered what happening now. Anyway the acute dermatitis lasted for 3 weeks at its worse, with liquid seeping out of my extremely swollen hands and face, then stabbing then leaking.

Since my skin on hands and face have got better though it seems I could now be sensitised to the sun unless what's happening can cause my skin to flush and itch and swell if heated or exposed to sunshine.

My question after my self education is, I have caught this early, my belief and I know this is before it has been diagnosed - but I like to look at possible worse case scenario and anything better is a bonus -but I believe due to the ethyl benzene and previous reaction that I have suffered some sort of bone marrow damage, possibly fibrosis inside my bone that has affected my production of my cells, this could possibly be leukeamia of the aml class or damaged stem cells.

I have. 3 children, 2,3, and 9 and want to ensure I am fully aware of all possible outcomes so from what you have read and knowing I am not just some scared uneducated sufferer, is your opinion the same as mine.

Also and I know this one is bait out there, but I am a casual smokers, though as of lately I have been quite heavy, and I know that thc has a remarkable effect on leukeamia cells, would it be possible to smoke enough cannabis to destroy enough for them not to show in CBC.

Also if it is not leukeamia, but simply fibrosis in my bone marrow, how long before this turns into leukeamia.

Any help or input would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread