It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
(female)

neochiq HB User
Please read...

I posted on the mono board and lymphoma board.

Ok so I have had a fever (99.1-99.6) for a couple weeks now. I didn't really notice it until very recently. Then I got a mild sore throat that I kicked in a couple days. No biggy. Then I started to drop weight. I dropped about 9lbs in a week or less. (now, granted, I wasn't eating as much due to being anxious) but still dropped weight.

So I went to the ER and they did a mono-spot test which came up positive.

My liver enzymes were VERY high (6x the amount it should be) and my alkaline phosphotase was elevated too...

I also just found out that some blood work I got done for another office a week ago that my liver was elevated but not as badly as 3 days ago (when I went to the ER)

Anyhow--I read that a mono-spot test could come up as a false-positive if you actually have leukemia or lymphoma.

What are the chances for that? Do my symptoms mimic leukemia? I just had my first child and I am so scared that I have something bad :-(

so- fever, weight loss, and yes, I am tired...liver enzymes (also they spotted a fatty liver)

I'm waiting on my CBC results...just so scared!! So with the positive mono-spot test is it likely that it is in fact mono? (at 30 years old???)

Thanks a bunch

Old 09-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
(female)

kikijean HB User
Re: Please read...

Relax.......you definitely have mono. Rest as much as you can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
(female)

neochiq HB User

Why do you think I definitely have mono?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

There are things that can cause false positive mono test results, but you describe the typical symptoms of mono, with low grade fever, sore throat and fatigue, and elevated liver enzymes. Since your liver enzymes are so high, perhaps you should ask to have a hepatitis blood test, as that is one of the things that can cause false positive monospot. Just a suggestion to be thorough. Leukemia and lymphoma does not cause a sore throat, so I think you can relax about that. Your CBC results will be helpful to confirm a viral infection, but mono and hepatitis will cause similar CBC results. Any known exposure to hepatitis or foreign travel, unprotected sex, etc?

Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
(female)

neochiq HB User

The sore throat only lasted 2 days... can that be normal?

No unprotected sex, no foreign travel, etc.

They are already testing for hepatitis too.

They are also doing the EBV blood work.

So you all don't think leukemia? (Or lymphoma?)

Old 09-21-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The EBV titers and hepatitis tests will clarify this. I really don't think you have cancer. Some people with mono don't get a sore throat at all, so 2 days is sufficient with the other symptoms.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
(female)

neochiq HB User

Does leukemia raise liver enzymes?

Old 09-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #8
(female)

neochiq HB User

Doctor called. She said my EBV test was consistent with a current infection. Hepatitis was negative.

Also- WBC was normal--- I thought it should be high with a viral infection like Mono---but I'll take normal!

So all this is very good right?

Old 09-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is good! So put the leukemia worries out of your mind. 85% of people in US get mono at some point, and it should resolve gradually over next few weeks. When your enzymes start coming down, you'll know you're on your way to getting better!

Closed Thread