It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
(female)

jakai HB User
maybe the "L" word

Long story short, I had an ER visit due to sever cramping. They seemed concerned that my spleen was already removed. They told me about 4 times that I had a high white count and to see my doctor immediately!
Upon my doctors visit I told him the above and he ordered blood work. He called me the next day concerned with the results and was going to send them back for more detailed analysis. He did, twice! This was Thanksgiving week and first thing Monday morning his office called referring me to an Oncologist!
Of course my mind went to the gutter and I have been looking up the “L” word. My worry is that I have had some/many of the signs but just thought they were due to me being sick and tired all the time. I don’t see the Oncologist for 10 days and my mind is driving me crazy. Any thoughts would help, even if they do not ease my mind. Could it be leukemia?

Last edited by jakai; 12-05-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
(male)

kabeck HB User
Re: maybe the "L" word

Hello Jakai,

A high WBC is the primary indicator for Leukemia. But I was confused on the meaning of high. Some people are really concerned at 13K. While this is high it does not mean Leukemia.

I was diagnosed at 280K... So you can see that there is a big jump from 13 to 280!.

I also had a enlarged spleen that REALLLLY HURT when I would breath. The fact yours is removed might be a reason you WBC is high as it is used to remove WBC as well as sweat them out.

So, try to stay calm even if this is a difficult time. I will tell you that the treatments for Leukemia have come a VERY long way. Depending on the type of Leukemia you will get a specific course of treatment. I have CML and I take 4 pills a day and that is about it.

To figure out the type you will do a BMB (bone marrow biopsy) so that they can see the DNA strands to tell the gene pairs. My advice to you is if you should need a BMB ask them to put you under and not bedside. My first BMB was done bedside and I almost broke the bed pulling on the frame. They might not like that you ask for this but you are the patient and no need for you to have ANY pain for the proceedure.

All the best
Keith

Last edited by kabeck; 12-26-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
blood disorders, leukemia