It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

mommy910 HB User
Very Concerned

My husband is 35 years old. Over the last year, he's gone from 220 lbs to 160 lbs (without trying), is very tired all the time, has horrible night sweats and headaches. He functions, for the most part, pretty well. He doesn't feel sick at all. He has Thyroid Disease and gets his levels checked regularly. His Thyroid rarely levels out (doesn't help that he forgets to take his meds sometimes)and this Doctor he sees, keeps changing his dosage. Anyway, the last 3 draws show that his White Blood Cell count was high. The Doctor told him that this usually means Leukemia or Lymphoma. So, this last draw came back and his WBC were down from 13 to 11.5. My questions is; can WBC fluctuate like that if he has Leukemia or Lymphoma? I don't particularly care for this Doctor and feel he has overlooked a lot with my husband. His advise was to wait a month and go back to get another draw and if the WBC was still elevated they'd figure it out then. Doesn't sound right to me, especially since he's showing the majority of the signs. Anyone out there that can ease our minds?

Old 12-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Very Concerned

I wish I had answers for you, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you are worried, and that I totally agree with you that you shouldn't wait a whole month. My suggestion is to go to a hematologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
(female)

mommy910 HB User

Thank you for the reply and for validating my concern. Nothing makes sense right now.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
(male)

kabeck HB User

Hello,

I have Leukemia (CML). I did have many of the same things you listed but I would guess that we all get them from time to time and has nothing to do with Leukemia.

I am "NOT" a doctor but for Leukemia you would have WBC rising and not going lower. Also, I will add that the WBC going from 13K to 11K is in the normal range but on the high side of normal. On my CBC the range is 5K to 10K so 13K is not a big deal. Might be figting a fevor etc...

For me high WBC are in the range of 150K. I was diagnosed at 280K !!!

But, the ONLY way to know is to get a CBC test from the Doctor. Find a new Doctor if you think he is not taking you serious!

Again, based on the WBC counts you listed I would say you can at least sleep better about Leukemia especially if WBC is dropping..But find a Doctor to confirm...

All the best
Keith

Closed Thread

Tags
leukemia, lymphoma, white blood cells