It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
(female)

pollywog456 HB User
Leukemia Symptoms.. How to receive diagnosis?

I'm a teen female who has been noticing many minor changes in the past few months. At first I thought they were all unimportant details. Then, I read that I have many symptoms of leukemia.

I have..
* Clusters of tiny, pinpoint sized red dots (possibly petechiae?)
* Random bruises on thighs & calves (some small & painless, some large and extremely sore)
* Joint pain on bend of elbows
* Symptoms that go along with anemia (Lightheadedness upon standing, dizziness)
* Mild headaches that last hours (I've never had a headache before this past week & now I have them every day)
*Sore muscles (Calves, right now) after no increase in exercise
* Had different pains for about a month that I could only describe as in my bone, but I thought that sounded silly..
* On and off for about a month, I felt strong pressure in my stomach. It felt so full and bloated that it was uncomfortable and almost painful. It didn't go away after using the restroom.

* A few months ago I was treated for a UTI. The doctor's office called back saying they found unusual amounts of blood in my urine and to come back. We thought they just messed up, as they seem to frequently, so we didn't return.

* I tried a new workout program called Insanity. After the first day, a strenuous 25 minute work out, I felt more than sore. A few months ago, I ran 3+ miles a day. Therefore, I don't think that work out should have hurt me as badly as it did..especially since over half of it is warm up/cool down. For the next week I could hardly walk. There was constant pain in the joints behind my knees.

A lot of these symptoms lead me to believe that I may have Leukemia. What kind of appointment do I need to make with a doctor? A blood test?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by mod85; 12-26-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
(male)

kabeck HB User
Re: Leukemia Symptoms.. How to receive diagnosis?

Hello Poly,

I have CML for the last two years and now under treatment and doing just fine. I want you to know "first off" that Leukemia does have very good treatments today.

But, you must go to your doctor and tell him exactly what you have posted here. The test is really a quick blood test (CBC test). It takes about 48 hours to get back the results. The MAIN indicator is the WBC (white blood count) . If it is above 10K then they will have an idea that you might have Leukemia. For example I was at 280K.

Then I had a second test called a Bone Marrow Biopsy (BMB) This was done to tell what type I had so that I could get a very specific treatment.

I am sure that you are scared and rightfully so. But, the only way to know is the blood test. I will also say that today there are VERY good treatments for Leukemia (all forms).

For CML I just take 4 small pills at dinner and that is all. Each person is different but the medicines today are very advanced and work on over 90% so it is good news should you be diagnosed.

All the best,
Keith

Last edited by kabeck; 12-26-2012 at 03:14 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
bruises, diagnosis, leukemia, symptoms, teenager