It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
(female)

emmart HB User
Is My Doctor Missing Something??

For the last couple of years I've went through a lot of health issues. I am constantly sick. Before having my tonsils removed about 5 months ago, my doctor couldn't decide why I was sick so often, she thought it was mono or strep (even though I had those before) so she did a CBC. Mono came back negative, but she made a side note that my leukocytes were very high. I didn't think much of it, I figured they'd go to normal after my tonsillectomy. But as I went into a physical for a new job about 3 months after my surgery, the nurse was checking all the stuff in my urine and commented that my leukocytes were high. I was shocked! She told me to talk to my doctor. Well perfect timing because I was getting cold/flu like problems and had to see my doctor anyway. I explained everything, and she did a CBC to check mono AGAIN!! (stupid, I thought) It came back negative, and I received amoxicillin and haven't heard from her since. I just feel like I'm getting looked past. I guess my main question is.... If there is something, like leukemia, would it be obviously seen in my CBC's? Would she know to see something abnormal about my blood to look into diseases further more? I don't understand why she is ignoring my high WBC? My doctor just says I am more prone to infections. I get sick and she just labels it as a bacterial infection. For as long as I can remember, I've always been tired. I look tired, my skin gets pale. I bruise so easily, always have. I usually have low iron. My family says I am paranoid and a hypochondriac. But I know how I feel and I never feel 100%... just a little off always. I have unknown stomach pains, recently they're in my left ribcage. I have bad back cramps, hip joints pop daily, 24 hr flus; with me its always something but I am so tired of it. I have looked into leukemia so many times and I just have this gut feeling, that I could very easily have it. I'm so scared to even mention it to my family or friends though, because I know that I could very easily NOT have it too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Is My Doctor Missing Something??

Just to clarify something-your Dr said your blood white cell count was high, and the nurse said your urine white cells were high. These are two completely different things, although could be related if you had a urinary tract infection causing your blood cells to increase. Did you ever get treated for a UTI? It seems you have no confidance in your Dr., which, to me, says it's time to find a new one. Start with a urine and CBC at minimum, and see if you have a UTI. If leukocytes in urine are high, ask for a culture and sensitivity to be done so you will get put on the right antibiotic. The white count in blood is quite different in ordinary infections versus leukemia, so knowing HOW HIGH the WBCs are is critical. Most infections cause white count elevations between 10K and 15K, occasionally up to 20K. Leukemia causes elevations above 50K or so. So instead of worrying, ask for a copy of all your lab results, post abnormals if you'd like, and then take them to a new Dr. who will get a fresh look at your picture. You may need to have some tests done for immune deficiencies, of which there are many types, that can cause people to get infections easily. Or perhaps autoimmune disorders, which makes people often anemic, fatigued and feeling flu-like frequently. A fresh perspective oftens turns up some answers. Good luck, and I hope you get some help. It is awful to feel ill so often and have others think you are hypochondriacal. This happens far too often to people who truly have something wrong but have never been tested for what they have.

Closed Thread