It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
(female)

aspence10 HB User
Advice on how to tell my 9 year old son his father has cancer?

Any and all advice would be wonderful!

Yesterday my son's father was told he has Acute, also known as ALL Leukemia.. He started chemo today. Of course this has turned our lives around quickly. We're all still in shock and can't believe it because he's only 35 years old. Myself, his father and his father's wife has no idea how to tell our son. He is very close to his father and he's only 9 years old. Yesterday morning I told my son his dad has a bad cold and that's the reason why he's in the hospital (at that time we didn't know what was going on). By 5pm yesterday he was diagnosed. We aren't sure how advanced the cancer is, the doctor hasn't said anything about possible death. All we know is, he will be in the hospital for a month doing chemo treatment, then he'll have to have a bone marrow transplant, surgery on his kidney's (they're 50% & 70% blocked), he also has a tumor on his spleen.
We know we have a long read ahead of us. I just need advice on how we should tell my son the real reason his father is in the hospital. I did call the school's counselor this morning, I'm still waiting for a call back.

Thank you for any help!

Reply Reply