HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Leukemia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/leukemia/)
-   -   I'm scared I have leukemia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/leukemia/940608-im-scared-i-have-leukemia.html)

West64408 02-26-2013 04:57 AM

I'm scared I have leukemia

I have only posted one other time about my fear of a disease (colon cancer). Now I think I might have leukemia. When I went to urgent care about my abdominal pain they did a CBC on me. Here were the results:
WBC Count - 7.2 (4.0-10.5)
RBC Count - 4.65 (4.60-6.20)
Hemoglobin - 14.0 (14.0-18.0)
Hematocrit - 42.0 (40.0-54.0)
MCV - 90.3 (80.0-100.0)
MCH - 30.1 (27.0-32.0)
MCHC - 33.3 (32.0-36.0)
RDW - 12.2 (11.5-16.0)
Platelet Count - 230 (150-450)
MPV - 10.6* (7.4-10.4)
Neutrophil - 62.2 (43.0-71.0)
Lymphocyte - 25.7 (25.0-33.0)
Monocyte - 9.8* (5.0-9.0)
Eosinophil - 1.9 (0.0-5.0)
Basophil - 0.4 (0.0-2.0)
Absolute Neutrophil Count - 4478 (1700-7500)
Absolute Lymphocyte Count - 1850 (1000-3500)
Absolute Monocyte Count - 706 (200-900)
Absolute Eosinophil Count - 137 (0-500)
Absolute Basophil Count - 29 (<240)
Sorry this is long, but I'm scared about this because of the increased monocyte and increased MPV. Also my hemoglobin level is on the lower side. That blood test was taken 2 weeks ago. Also I noticed I have 2 small red dots on my chest under my skin. They have been there for as long as I can remember. I haven't noticed any frequent bruising at all, but I'm still scared. I have noticed though that I have had a cough for the last 1 to 2 weeks that comes and goes at times. I noticed it's kind of hoarse lately. I was told that you are prone to infections when you have leukemia. I'm just scared that the numbers have changed since then. I have had lower and mid back pain too. Also the other day at work I looked at my right forearm and noticed a small yellowish spot/blemish. That has since gone away. But I'm really scared that this is leukemia. Does it really sound like nothing is wrong with me? And what would my results have been like if I had leukemia? I've also had the abdominal pain. My weight has since returned to normal along with my appetite. But I have almost felt confused as well and been tired on and off since this whole thing started, which is why I'm afraid I'm anemic. Lastly, when the cough thing started, I would cough up really thick mucus.
I'm a 19 year old male...I know men are more prone to diseases. I also see a dime sized bruise on my right leg, with the leg pain. I'm worried that suddenly more will appear.

growagourd 03-06-2013 11:05 PM

Re: Can anyone help me!?

While I am not expert at reading labs, I do know a bit about blood work in general and what they show doctors. The lab will automatically highlight any labs that are not within the normal range. Depending on the combination of markers and the range of the ones that are not normal, your doctor can tell so many things about you. It is a wonderful tool we have available for early detection of any issues our doctors need to know.

When leukemia is present, your lab values would be alarmingly out of range. It would be very obvious to the trained eye, and your doctor would respond right away.

The fact that your labs came back "fine" you can be assured that your blood is well balanced and your immune system is healthy.

While the symptoms you describe can be experienced by those diagnosed with any cancer, they can also be attributed to many other medical causes. The labs have proven cancer is not at work on your body. I hope you can trust the results to be accurate, and can take comfort in being cancer free.

Now there are the symptoms you describe. Anything of concern on or under your skin should be examined by a dermatologist. The red spots you have will likely be easily explained. I encourage you to take each symptom separately and seek information about each. Many issues that happen at the same time can often be coincidence, which can fool us into thinking far beyond where we need to be.

Keeping hydrated, eating clean food, moving as much as you can, and having interesting things in your life to do seems so easy but it is so important...and it works.

if you feel you are having trouble managing your fears about health issues, told to your doctor, as our mental health is as important as our physical health, and can affect each other tremendously.

Did your doctor call you into to discuss your lab results to you personally? If not, you can ask for him to do that. That might really help provide a better understanding of the results.

Best of luck

ladybud 03-07-2013 03:44 AM

There is absolutely NO indication on your test results of leukemia! The only thing, and it is very minor, is that your red cell count is in the low end of range. The monocytes can up with a virus or infection, probably related to your cough. The MCV being a tad high can be from Vit B12 or folate deficiency, which can cause anemia eventually. I would ask to perhaps check your Vit B12 and folate levels on blood, and if still coughing up yellow/green stuff, perhaps a short antibiotic course. If the vitamin levels are low, they can be supplemented. This all should be done thru your Dr of course, but please do not worry about leukemia. People with leukemia have WBC over 50,000 usually and several other abnormalities which you do not have.

West64408 03-07-2013 04:04 AM

Thank you very much for the responses. My cough and thick mucus has since gone away. I should also ask, I cut my finger at work after the blood test was taken and it did heal normally, along with a cut on my elbow. I was always told that if you had leukemia, then any cut would not heal, or it would take a very very long time to...is that true?

ladybud 03-07-2013 04:09 AM

People with leukemia sometimes have delayed healing, but according to your CBC results, you do not have leukemia, and I think all you need to do is follow-up about the possible vitamin deficiency.

West64408 03-07-2013 05:04 AM

Again thank you very much for the response. Just out of curiosity how off would my blood results be if I did have leukemia? And once symptoms appeared what would they be and how obvious would they show themselves? Sorry, I'm just not familiar with it.

ladybud 03-07-2013 09:42 AM

What got you convinced you had leukemia to begin with? You are obviously still concerned about this. Leukemia causes drastic changes in white blood cell counts, with counts usually over 50,000, sometimes in the 200-300,000. Yours is 7500, quite normal. It also causes distortion in the neutrophils, lymphocyte counts and basophils, non of which you have. It can cause severe anemia, which you do not have. People feel terribly tired, look pale, get sick, feverish, etc, but you do not have leukemia! Talk to your Dr about your concerns. Maybe he/she can convince you to quit worrying about this.

West64408 03-07-2013 04:18 PM

I'm really sorry about this whole thing. But I have one more question and then I swear I will stop talking about this. I have noticed that my legs hurt at certain points. Like for awhile my right leg was hurting and then suddenly today my left thigh was hurting. I haven't been doing any exercises at all or using them a ton along with some slight fatigue, but not draining fatigue. What could be causing that?
Again, I am sorry about my worry.

ladybud 03-07-2013 09:29 PM

Vit B12 and folate deficiency can cause abnormal sensations or pain in feet and legs. I would get those levels checked at Dr office/lab.

West64408 03-08-2013 04:56 AM

Okay. Again thank you very much for the responses. Can I just ask my doctor to order me that test?

Titchou 03-08-2013 08:01 AM

I think a physical done by your regular doctor would be your best starting point. Take these results with you and talk with him about what he sees and thinks after the exam.

ladybud 03-08-2013 09:00 AM

Thank you, Eat Consciously, and welcome to the boards! you can ask your Dr to check those levels and check out your legs to see what he/she thinks is causing the pains.

West64408 03-08-2013 10:36 AM

I really appreciate the reassurance and thank you for the excellent advice.
I'll talk to my doctor about the B12 test, etc.

Prblmchld 06-20-2013 10:53 PM

Re: I'm scared I have leukemia

Usually with leukemia you will have an extremely high WBC count and possibly a low platelet count. BUT blood tests aren't definitive. I had leukemia and my blood tests all came back normal. I was eventually diagnosed when they did a bone marrow test.