It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
(female)

Godisbiggerthan HB User
My husband is in blast crisis - AML - what does this mean?

My husband had MDS for 4 years. Progressed into AML. Now in a blast crisis. 60% blasts when they did latest bone morrow tests. What does this mean? It has all happened so fast.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: My husband is in blast crisis - AML - what does this mean?

Blasts are young cells that haven't matured, so the bone marrow is producing too many new cells. Normally there are very few blasts, so it means he is having an exaccerbation or resurgence of the leukemia. I am sorry this is happening, it is very scary. The Dr's may be able though, to quiet it down with chemo and get it into remission. I hope he gets a good response to treatment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
(female)

coolwind HB User

My husband has had MDS for 6yrs now and just entered into blast changes, he is only at 11% currently. We have local doctor and Mayo Clinic that has been overseeing his treatments. I so understand the stess and frustration you are feeling. It is like a rollercoaster. He was so bad early in illiness with blood transfusions,then finally splenectomy b/c so large. Now, we are entering this new phase of transistion. I to do not understand how blast can be up 15-20% one time and then down next. Right now no treatment chges., but my fear is it will rapidly change and won't be able to slow down once it does. Does anyone know any helpful answers for all of us out there? Thanks and my prayers to you and hubby as well.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Leukemia, like many illnesses, is characterized by remissions (slowing down of disease activity) and exaccerbations (speeding up). Remissions can be induced by treatment or can occur spontaneously. Exaccerbations are typically characterized by increased fatigue, bone pain, anemia (pallor) sometimes fever, infection or bleeding. So any of those clues should alert one to a possible exaccerbation, and getting checked is important. Remissions can last for months, sometimes years in chronic leukemias (more than acute). It truly is a rollercoaster for everyone, physically and emotionally. So during the remissions, don't overdo, but make your best attempt at making the most of these times with normal living with an emphasis on doing fun, loving, enjoyable things together as a family, reducing drama and stress so peace presides in your life, and taking things a day at a time. Be prepared for unexpected changes, but try to set fear aside so you can live in today rather than in fear of tomorrow. Easier said than done, granted, but a goal to strive for nonetheless. I wish you both strength and good times ahead with your spouses. You might consider contacting the Make a Wish foundation for info on their services in creating memorable occasions for patients and families.

Last edited by ladybud; 05-12-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo

Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
(female)

coolwind HB User

We have done the day-by-day otherwise would lose it: Thanks for the information!
My brother was diagnosis last November with stage 4 Bio-duct cancer and we just lost him this month so feeling more anxious with his recent blast increase and lower counts. You are absolutely correct b/c we never know what life will hand us so need to make every moment count!
Good luck to all as well and again, thanks for well wishes too!

Reply Reply