It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Leukemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
(male)

popsandfriends HB User
Grandfather has AML- Aged 75

Hi All,
My grandfather went into OU Medical Center two months ago for vertigo, got real dizzy and had a bad cold. He was given a standard blood test, and after weeks of studying his blood, they found he had MDS. One week after his MDS diagnosis, he went into the hospital, where they said it progressed to AML. He went into all this feeling nearly 100%. He said he didn't feel sick, but knew he had to go into this full swing as he would get sick with chemo.

He was accepted into the clinical trial for fludarabine, but we learned yesterday that it did not have the effects they were looking for. Last night they hooked him up to cytarabine and idarubicin on a 7+3 regimine, 24/7 for 10 days.

So far, no side effects for any of this chemo medication, except for crying jags when he means to laugh at something. I assume this is due to a serotonin deficiency caused by chemo. He has a cough, but prior to this treatment, was a smoker for 60 years.

My grandfather is the strongest man I know. He weighs in at about 145 usually, and has a tough kick-butt attitude about this whole thing. The doctors cleared him for the 8+3 because his heart, liver, and lung stress test came back with excellent results.

I know his age is not a good factor in all of this, but the fact that he can handle such a high-dose of chemo is very promising, is it not? I am still learning about all this but I may recommend if this does not work that the doctor look into Vidaza or another elderly treatment.

Any thoughts on all of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply