It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2003, 06:03 PM   #1

blueeyedangel08 HB User
Question ..liver function a little high?

I went in for a blood test to check out my thyroid levels etc. and make sure everything was going ok. The tests showed that my liver function was a little high, and my doctor told me to avoid tylenol and alcohol. Well....I don't drink, and I rarely (if ever) take tylenol etc. I also follow a pretty healthy diet which consists of: regular oatmeal, egg whites, chicken, fish, LOTS of fresh fruit (apples, grapes, cantaloupe, plums, peaches etc), broccolli, cauliflower, zucchini....things like that. Is this anything to concern over? What could cause high liver function besides alcohol and tylenol? I avoid dairy and fatty meats etc. because they're hard for me to digest (I also avoid other foods that are noted as being "hard to digest")...and I'm actually a bit underweight. Just wondering if this was something to concern over. Thanks! :-)

Old 11-11-2003, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedangel08
I went in for a blood test to check out my thyroid levels etc. and make sure everything was going ok. The tests showed that my liver function was a little high, and my doctor told me to avoid tylenol and alcohol. Well....I don't drink, and I rarely (if ever) take tylenol etc. I also follow a pretty healthy diet which consists of: regular oatmeal, egg whites, chicken, fish, LOTS of fresh fruit (apples, grapes, cantaloupe, plums, peaches etc), broccolli, cauliflower, zucchini....things like that. Is this anything to concern over? What could cause high liver function besides alcohol and tylenol? I avoid dairy and fatty meats etc. because they're hard for me to digest (I also avoid other foods that are noted as being "hard to digest")...and I'm actually a bit underweight. Just wondering if this was something to concern over. Thanks! :-)
One small thing first of all, what is high in your liver is not your liver function, but a certain set of markers called "transaminases" which are an indicator that something MIGHT be going on, but it's by no means a sure thing.

I learned this earlier on this board from docrum, but though elevated liver enzymes can indicate that there's inflammation in your liver, it doesn't have to be. The other thing about these enzymes is that the range that they use to say whether the enzymes are high or low, come from an average taken of many people that have come in to the hospital in the past. If your enzymes are a little bit higher than the range, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. What will worry the doctor more is if you have elevated liver enzymes PLUS some other symptom(s) or risk factor.

So, for you, it seem like you're healthy, you're not in any pain, you're not sick etc. etc., so the elevated liver tests probably mean nothing, though they should be followed from time to time.

But if you walked in to the clinic with:

jaundice
chest pain
abdominal pain
after a binge drink
having ODed on drugs
etc. etc. etc.

then they might be worrisome, but probably only if they were significantly high.

It seems like you're a healthy person, so what the doctor might want to do is follow the enzymes over the next few months, but I suspect it's nothing to worry about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2003, 01:57 AM   #3

jodo HB User
a repeat is in order. because of the way that tests are categorised a result just in the abnormal range may not be abnormal for you. are you on any prescribed drugs or herbal remedies?

Closed Thread