It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2004, 06:39 AM   #1
(male)

njben HB User
rib tenderness

Hello,

I am just asking a question here to see if I can get some help or if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Basically ... I was having moderate-severe (maybe a 5-7 out of 10) sort of crampy-feeling (but contant) pain a couple inches below my breastbone, right in the middle of my trunck that came on about 20-30 minutes after eating (especially dairy or greasy/fatty foods .. oily foods seem to have no effect though) that would last for a couple of hours and then start to get better. Most of the pain would relieve itself quickly (sometimes by eating again) and leave me with some residual tenderness in that area that would slowly go away.

Now, the thing that confuses me is that I also have tenderness over my lower ribs both sides (not below the ribs, but over the bottom few ribs). It doesn't hurt all the time, just overly sensitive to the touch.

I have stopped the attacks (except for one 2 days ago) for about 10 days now by cutting out milk and grease ... but since that attack 2 days ago, the tenderness in my ribs is still there. I only notice it if I touch there.

I also have some vague discomfort in my lower abdomen but that may just be nerves over this whole thing.

I have been hearing that the symptoms are consistent with gall bladder problems, but is that rib tenderness also a feature of gall bladder problems?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

- Ben

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Veteran

timsworld73 HB User
Re: rib tenderness

Yep, classic symptoms of gallstones. Me mother had her gallbladder taken out 2 weeks ago. Same symptoms. Unfortunately for my mother she had five stones the size of a regular marble, pus, and the big one cancer. Very rare to find gallbladder cancer, but my mothers came because she let it go one for about 2 years before the pain got so bad she went to the Dr. Well when they took her gallbladder out the also found 2 spots on her liver...cancer. So now she has to go to UCLA and they are going to take out the 2 tumors...they already took out the gallbladder. So my opinion, and Im not a Dr. Just from experience....go to the Dr. and ask to test you to see if you have gallstones. There are multiple ways they can tell. Catch it early and be done with it if that is what it is. Better safe than sorry.

Old 01-11-2004, 06:43 PM   #3

butterflymsh HB User
Re: rib tenderness

While I can't identify w/all of your symptoms, I do sympathize with you on the rib pain. I started having this problem around three years ago. My doctor put me on Indocin, which caused extreme stomach pain, and most likely and ulcer and then on Darvocet N-100. I have had several x-rays and it was reccomended that I have a bone scan if pain was not relieved. In the end, diagnonsis was costochondroma, which basically means swelling and soreness in the ribs. Inflammatories work well for this. Good luck hope things work out for you.

Closed Thread