It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2004, 10:10 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User
What are the symptoms of liver disorder?

Hi. I've heard that if there's something wrong with your liver, or your liver is not functioning right, you will feel tired and fatigue constantly, even with adequate sleep. Is that true? Are there any other symptoms other than fatigue?

Old 05-12-2004, 05:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: What are the symptoms of liver disorder?

There are tons of conditions and disorders out there that have those same symptoms.is there some reason that you suspect the liver? the only symptoms that my son had when he was Dxed with congenital hepatic fibrosis,which later was rediagnosed as being primary sclerosing cholengitis,was stomach aches,nose bleeds and nasty bruising,He was also at this time, down to only 20% of his liver function before we even knew that he was sick.unbeleivable, I know but the thing is ,is that when the liver starts to have problems, the other organs such as the kidneys and spleen will take over for some of the functions that normally are taken care of by the liver,so you can actually go sometimes for quite a while before things really start to show up.

I think that if you are worried about liver problems, just go to your family Dr and ask him to run a simple liver panel.One tube of blood will give you the answer.Good luck, Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2004, 11:20 AM   #3

momluvshergirls HB User
Exclamation Re: What are the symptoms of liver disorder?

My daughter was diagnosed with liver failure at 11 mos old. We basically had no idea anything was wrong. In Dec 2003 she was admitted to the hospital after blood work revealed "elevated liver enzymes". She than had a biopsy that showed liver scarring and almost no function. She was put on a liver transplant list. She has since come home and is doing very well and still waiting for liver. Hindsight 20/20 is that poor growth, itching, spider veins in the face, bloating and a yellow coloring to the skin is what was her "symptom" were, but I did not know!

Old 05-13-2004, 06:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Mom, so sorry to hear about your daughter and what you are having to go through,i know exactly how you feel.I went through this with my son.he also had a bright red spider nevis on his cheek for quite a while.we didn't think too much about it as i had had a couple of these when I was younger and eventually grew out of them.

If you don't mind me asking, just what is causing your daughters liver failure?and what is her status on the list?where are you going to be having the eventual transplant at?i hope you don't think i am being nosey,its just that I really feel for you as I have been down this scarey road myself.If you have any questions or you just need to vent, by all means, feel free to drop a message to me.take care,and i hope your daughter gets the transplant soon. Marcia

Old 05-13-2004, 10:04 PM   #5

Chayse HB User
Question Re: What are the symptoms of liver disorder?

Hi,
How is your son doing, my husband was diagnosed with PRS also. It is not a very common disease. Did he get a transplant? My husband had Crohns Disease since he was 14 and was lucky enough not to have had an operation. So his liver enzymes were always high. He had some routine blood work and he had a low platelet count.
So after many tests and weeks later he was diagnosed with PSC.

Last edited by Chayse; 05-13-2004 at 10:05 PM.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
(female)

amandandme221 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayse
Hi,
How is your son doing, my husband was diagnosed with PRS also. It is not a very common disease. Did he get a transplant? My husband had Crohns Disease since he was 14 and was lucky enough not to have had an operation. So his liver enzymes were always high. He had some routine blood work and he had a low platelet count.
So after many tests and weeks later he was diagnosed with PSC.
Hi, my fiance' was diagnosed May 2003 with PSC. He has been in the hospital so much lately and cannot live off of IV antibotics. He is suppose to be transported to a University Hospital and will be getting stints put in. Does anyone know about stints? Do they work? Are there any risks? Thanks

Old 04-03-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

i am assuming that when you say "stints" you mean he is having the TIPS procedure done?this is where they actually go in throuh the jugular vein in the neck and snake a stent down into one of the larger veins in the liver to create a new port for the blood to flow thru?this procedure actually saved my sons life after he just started vomiting up blood one day at school and when we found out that he was actually really sick with only 20% of his liver function left.he amazingly had just had afull physical only two months before this day and had been cleared to play football! the PA that did his physical obviously had never seen what in gods name an actual enlarged liver and spleen looked like.

at that time he had the varices thatw ere bleeding into his stomach.they were going to try and band them but honestly,with all of the crap that you have to go thru and the repeated visits and all of that,wow,it was going to be tough on him too.but when we arrived that morning that they were going to actually start the banding,we were told that they had cancelled the procedure as they wanted to try something called the TIPS on him instead.since the banding really does not actually solve the high pressure and bleeding problem,they felt that he would do much better with the TIPS.they were definitely right about that.the thing was,they had never done this on a child before,and this was a huge world reknowned medical university hosp.my son was actually one of the first ped patients to actually have this done.he did well with it until the primary sclerosing cholengitis decided to develop somehow from the original Dx of congenital hepatic fibrosis.he had also developed a horrid case of pancreatits.

the thing about the TIPS is while it does kind of make a new portal vein for the blood to actually flow so that high pressure is relieved,since the liver can no longer actually clear ammonia you will have to have him in for his ammonia levels tested once a week to make sure that it stays low or the dreaded encephalopthy of the brain can develop.but they put you on all kinds of different meds,that wonderful lactulose that my son just absolutley hated with a passion is one of them.to this day he cannot take any liquid meds becaue of this episode with the lactulose.it did taste rather nasty but not all that bad,but it really was the most hated of all the meds he had to take.

we were told at the time of the procedure that the TIPS could possibly last as long as ten years,but would require him to have the bloodwork and also ultrasounds like once a month to make sure it did not get blocked by blood clots or anything.considering the fact that his clotting factors were already low,the chances of this actually occuring were pretty low,but still possible.the stent itself is the same exact type they use in those cardiac procedures when they need to reopen a blocked artery?

all in all the TIPS really IS the best way to go,espescially over the crappy banding and all it involves.it also buys time which as you know,when on the list,is crucial.i hope all is well.please give an update when you can.Good luck,Marcia

Old 04-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #8
(female)

Nancycasc HB User

I survived liver cancer... and though I was not having any symptoms.. I had gone to my dr because I was having a hard time eating.. I would eat one meal in the morning and by dinner was still full... i was losing weight...LOL.. that was the best part.. but my dr suspected it had to do with my diabetes and sent me to another dr.. they did a CT scan... later that day that dr called me into his office... well.. it was stunning.. i was in total shock... I had a 15 pound tumor on my liver.. which was blocking the process of my stomach emptying.. I was sent to the Liver Transplant team at MUSC and within a week I had a resection.. they took 2/3 rds of my liver... I was lucky.. the resection got all the cancer.. so i did not have to go through chemo or anything else... that was december 2004... i still don't feel 100% but am cancer free so I can deal with the rest..

Old 04-21-2006, 09:08 AM   #9
(male)

andycharnell HB User

I have been diagnosed with fatty deposits on my liver after an untra sound scan yesterday and a feel tired all the time, the only way i can explain it is like the way you feel when you have the flu.

I dont know that much about the liver in that it is a filter for the blood so if its not working properly your energy levels suffer and i have had this for over two years before being diagnosed?

Take care!

Andy

Old 04-21-2006, 10:24 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

thanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB Userthanbey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycharnell
I have been diagnosed with fatty deposits on my liver after an untra sound scan yesterday and a feel tired all the time, the only way i can explain it is like the way you feel when you have the flu.

I dont know that much about the liver in that it is a filter for the blood so if its not working properly your energy levels suffer and i have had this for over two years before being diagnosed?

Take care!

Andy

]I have put a few articles on this topic on the website below my name. Go to "Fatty Liver" in the quicklinks on the homepage.

thanbey

Old 04-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #11
(male)

andycharnell HB User

Thankd Thanbey,

I will take a look at it, i was told by the doc who did my ultrasound that it may well lead to liver desease, i really hope that it doesnt and want to read all i can to see just how much i can help myself as the doc that discharged me said i dont need to check my eating habits when i asked her before going home? As far as i have read so far on the net you can help yourself a great deal just as long as the condition is dietry related i guess?

Thanks for the advice its always apprciated!

Andy

Closed Thread