It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Keraly HB User
High bilirubin

Dear friends,

Have been posting messages regarding my 15 yr. old son on the Addison's and thyroid part of the board. Today's doctor apt. revealed to us that his sligtly elevated bilirubin was further elevated during his most recent blood test, taken two weeks ago. In May 2002, it was 1.6. In January 2004, it was 1.9. Then two weeks ago it was 2.3 (Total bilirubin). The range is as follows: total bilirubin 0.1 - 1/2. His Direct biblirubin was also high. It was .27 in a range of 0.00 - 0.26.

Do any of you happen to know what could cause a slowly elevating level like this (over the past two years!)? None of the rest of his hepatic function panel was off. All other liver numbers were in range. Today they did another blood test; this one was for Hepatitis. Thanks for any help you can give me, while we await his next apt. on Tuesday with a gastroenterologist! ~ Tracy

Last edited by Keraly; 07-16-2004 at 04:40 PM.

Old 07-20-2004, 11:45 AM   #2

Jdm6149 HB User
Re: High bilirubin

I'm pretty new to this forum (came here looking for help for my father) and I am NOT in the health care field, so please don't take anything I say as medical advice. But, when I was 20 years old, during a period of intense stress, I became ill with vague, "flu-like" symptoms and was diagnosed with Gilbert's Syndrome (I'm now 42). The testing that your son is going thru sounds very similar to what I went thru 22 years ago -- several tests run at various levels of fasting, a hepatitis test (which scared the heck of out me) and assorted other ones that I can't remember (at one point, I felt like a pin cushion!!). It seems to me that they diagnosed me based on the process of elimination -- they ruled out other causes. My "normal" level can run anywhere between 1.8 and 2.9 and shows up on every liver functions test performed. It was a long time ago, but what I remember being told was that the condition is usually diagnosed in the late teens or early twenties, is hereditary and does not cause any long term or serious health problems, but can be affected by excessive stress or fasting. Since I was diagnosed, we've found that my sister (now 50) and my dad (soon to be 79) also have the disorder, but weren't diagnosed earlier because they never got sick from it -- it was discovered thru routine testing. One other thing I might add is that about the same time, I began having kind of a sour or nauseated stomach and my doctor determined that my stomach produces too much acid and I've been on prescription strength Zantac for many years. I don't know if it's related to Gilbert's, but thought it was worth mentioning. I hope you son gets along alright -- if it does turn out to be Gilbert's, you can do a search on this board and get more information. Good luck to you!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jdm6149 For This Useful Post:
FMS (01-24-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread