It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User
HELP !!!!! Liver Function Test after a Night of heavy drinking

I was wondering if anybody knew whether heavy drinking of hard liquor the night before a liver function blood test would affect the results significantly.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

deltoro HB User
Re: HELP !!!!! Liver Function Test after a Night of heavy drinking

Funny thing you ask that, my friend was telling me a story about this very thing. He rarely drinks, but just happened to go to a ballgame and do some tailgateing the night before his test. He got a little wild that night and drank quite a bit, vodka I believe and had his test the next day. Needless to say it really messed with his results and he got "the lecture" from his doctor when the results came back. So in short yes it can affect your results!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

RE: Lots of Vodka the night before the PFT test

Deltoro I think that may have been what happened, at least I am hoping thats all it was - this was a walk-in screening not a doc - but my AST was 147 and ALT 74 after a pint or two the night before. And no breakfast the day of the test so I was still a bit groggy.

Way too high. SoI will retake the test in a week or so

Thanks for the reply. This happen to anbody else ????????
Still worried

Old 03-02-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
(male)

paborn HB User

HappyMan, How often do you drink hard liquor. I was drinking rather heavy (scotch) last year when I had my physical and my liver functions came back rather high. I quit drinking completely for three weeks and had the test again and both the alt and ast were down in the 20's. One thing though. My Alt was higher than my Ast. I have done a lot of reading up on this subject, and have read that if the Ast is more than twice the Alt, there could be a serious problem usually caused by alcohol.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Paborn, thanks for the reply. I often drink two to four drinks a night and have had 3 separate blood tests in the last two years - all have showed normal results until this latest one........

I am aware of the AST/ALT ratio suggestions...... Am generally feeling quite well...... This is the first test I have gotten back with high enzyme levels.......

I will retest soon.....

Thanks for your input.......

Old 03-03-2005, 07:41 AM   #6
(female)

wimzie HB User

Hi Happyman.

What were your other 'normal' results? Do you remember the numbers?

Old 03-03-2005, 08:38 AM   #7
(male)

DonnyGull HB User

Happyman,
I'm new to the board so I apologize for asking but why are you getting the tests? Are you dignosed with liver failure, NASH, etc? I waited 4 years for a liver h, had the transplant and I've been around now 4 years.
I used to party quite a lot . Would worry about the same things. Its the liver enzymes that are the tip off. No way to get around them. Just don't drink. Its easier than you think. Believe me the last two weeks before the transplant were enough to make any desire go away. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:25 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Wimzie - "normal" results were ALT and AST about 30 - 40 and all other Liver Chemicals within Normal ranges. This test was done at a lab.

I get the tests because I do drink occasionally and want to monitor any changes.

The test with the high numbers was from a desktop "health screening" unit in Kmart. They only gave me Alt and Ast.

I will retest in two weeks at a real with a real lab ang get all the liver chemical results.

Last edited by TheHappyMan; 03-03-2005 at 11:28 AM.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:34 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

DonnyGull, I am sorry to hear you had to have a transplant but I am glad you were able to get one and survived.

Why do think you had to get your transplant. There are many people who get liver damage from medicines, recreational drugs, and various diseases.

I have quit drinking several times, your right it isnt that hard when you get down to it.

I wish you a lot of luck

Old 03-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #10
(male)

paborn HB User

Happyman, I had my physical after two weeks of no alcohol. Everything was normal, including cholesterol. My AST and ALT are posted below:

I was taken off of Zocor about 16 months ago because of high liver enzymes. My cholesterol than shot up and prompted my Doctor to put me on Zetia which works outside of the liver to eliminate cholesterol in the digestive tract before it can get to the liver. Below are my numbers, before Zetia, six weeks after Zetia, and the results I got back today ten months after Zetia. I do watch my diet, but am not really eating any different then I did before I started Zetia.

1-28-04 - Before Zetia
LDL-162
HDL-59
Tri's-106
Total-242

5-27-04 - Six weeks after beginning Zetia
LDL-116
HDL-68
Tri's-105
Total-205

3-5-05 - Ten Months after beginning Zetia
LDL-73
HDL-66
Tri's-83
Total-156
Liver ALT-30
Liver AST-23

Old 03-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Paborn, thank you for the reply. Your numbers lood good after using the Zetia !!!!!!!

So things are looking brighter...........
Still having 3 or 4 drinks a day.......

BUT - started taking Vitamins and Herbs
***** TWO WEEKS AGO ********
AST = 147
ALT = 71
CHOLESTEROL = 280
***** YESTERDAY *************
AST = 60
ALT = 33 (Normal)
CHOLESTEROL 180 (Normal)

I guess the Vitamins and Herbs work
Still some more work to do, but not bad for just two weeks.

Last edited by TheHappyMan; 03-18-2005 at 01:21 PM.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:26 PM   #12
(male)

paborn HB User

What kinds of vitamins and herbs are you taking?

How much do you consider one drink? For example one of my drinks is 8 ounzes of scotch on the rocks.

Last edited by paborn; 03-18-2005 at 03:47 PM.

Old 03-19-2005, 09:32 PM   #13
(male)

Kittydaddy HB User
Re: Lots of Vodka the night before the PFT test

I have been drinking occasionally for the past 20 years. My AST has never been high,
but my ALT is always slightly elevated (54-75), my triglycerides are always high between
(250-500) and my cholesteral is around 270. I love to drink but have cut it for the next few months till I get tested again. No matter how you slice it, booze is bad stuff.

Old 03-20-2005, 06:54 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

Hey Paborn - Thats one nice drink there -
What I consider to be a drink is 1-2 oz of 40 proof liquor or 1 glass of wine or 1 beer. Your 8 oz special would be all I could have in a day.

As for the Vitamins and herbs - >>>>>>>>>
Milk Thistle, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Artichoke extract, Dandelion extract, Shizandra, Complex Amino Acids, and Vitamin B complex.

And for the Cholesterol >>>> Omega 3 Fish Oil (3 times/day), Flax Oil, Primrose Oil, Garlic capsules, and lowfat diet.

And Two Gallons of low sodium V8 a week.

Am going to get retested again in 3 weeks, the AST and ALT should be down even more by then.

Last edited by TheHappyMan; 03-20-2005 at 08:42 AM.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:51 AM   #15
(female)

Goosey HB User

This is the first time I have posted. I am interested in the ratio between AST/ALT. Which of these is higher for alcohol related problems?

Closed Thread