It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
(female)

dodgema HB User
Question Low bilirubins mean what?

Hi, this is a matter more of curiosity than concern. I just got my annual blood work back and everything was well within "normal" range , except my Indirect Bilirubins. In fact they were negative (-0.1). This caused my Total bilirubins to be low (0.1). My direct were in range, 1.7.

I checked back and this is the first time they have been out of range, in the past few years anyway. I know high bilirubins show risk of liver damage, etc. But what do low ones mean? I didn't have a chance to review all my results while I was in my check-up, and my doctor didn't mention it.

I'm particularly curious as I've been on a diet that has improved my health generally as well as helped me lose weight. Its emphasis is a healthy liver.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated ... Thanks, Mary

Old 04-23-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
(male)

ryu1977 HB User
Re: Low bilirubins mean what?

Hi Mary

I have the same curiosity with you, only my case is in the Thymol Turbidity Test (2 times high when the others are normal).

Indirect Bilirubin is the result of total bilirubin minus direct bilirubin. Therefore, if your total bilirubin is low or your direct bilirubin is too high you can get negative result for your indirect bilirubin.

I got this reference from ***** website, perhaps it is proper for your curiosity:

Medications that may lower bilirubin levels include vitamin C (ascorbic acid), phenobarbital, and theophylline (Elixophyllin).

Caffeine, which can lower bilirubin levels.

I don't know the range in your laboratory, but I think your direct bilirubin is quite high (the normal range should be 0.1-0.3, however, this can be different in each laboratory). Perhaps you can discuss again with your doctor to make your peace of mind.

wish you good health

sincerely

Last edited by ryu1977; 04-23-2005 at 05:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
(female)

dodgema HB User
Re: Low bilirubins mean what?

Thanks so much for your reply. Actually there was a typo on the Direct Bilirubins figure. It's 0.17, so right in the middle. My lab uses the same range.

Closed Thread