It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

runner12 HB User
exercise and elevated liver enzymes

I have elevated liver enzymes. I am an excessive exerciser. If I have blood tests taken after a strenuous workout, say a 10 mile run and 5 mile bike ride, could this cause my tests to be elevated? I do not have any form of hepatitis and only drink non-alcoholic beer. I have no pain,soreness, or tenderness in the liver area. Any information on this topic would be highly appreciated as I see my doctor on Friday, June 3, 2005. Any other suggestions welcome. Thank you for your time.

Old 06-01-2005, 07:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: exercise and elevated liver enzymes

I know for sure that strenuous excercise can cause protien to show up in the urine but not real sure about the liver issues.I would just ask your doc,they would be able to tell you.I do know that when you are really pushing yourself, the body does indeed go through certain changes and releases certain chemicals,so I suppose it IS possible.Just consult with your doc about any irregularities and ask for your own set of lab results.this way you will always have that baseline set of labs just incase something comes up in the future.Good luck,and let me know how things go>Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 02:44 PM   #3

pgta5 HB User

Do you take any medications or supplements (specifically herbal?). Some medicinal agents can cause liver enzymes to elevate. Let us know the outcome.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
(female)

wimzie HB User

No wonder my enzymes are so low...

Old 06-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgta5
Do you take any medications or supplements (specifically herbal?). Some medicinal agents can cause liver enzymes to elevate. Let us know the outcome.
Out of curiosity pgta5, which herbal supplements do you think can raise liver enzymes ?????? It has been obseved that intense exercise CAN raise liver enzymes.......

Last edited by TheHappyMan; 06-01-2005 at 05:59 PM.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
(female)

runner12 HB User

The Happy Man, can you further elaborate on what info you have on increased liver enzymes and exercise? Thanks for your help!

Old 06-02-2005, 08:35 AM   #7

pgta5 HB User

There are quite a few. If you do a search for "herbs that are harmful to the liver" you will get quite a few discussions on the topic. Of course there's no way to know for certain, but it's always good to be informed.

Very interesting that exercise can impact. I did a little research and found too that intense exercise should be avoided for at least 12 hours prior to liver enzymes being checked. Sounds like you may have found your answer.

Glad to hear it's nothing to be concerned about.

Take care!

Old 06-02-2005, 04:27 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner12
The Happy Man, can you further elaborate on what info you have on increased liver enzymes and exercise? Thanks for your help!
Yes, I can just reiterate what a number of other sources have stated (obviously some of them must be officially documented) and they state that intense exercise can raise liver enzymes for a short period (maybe several days). How intense must that exercise be, I cant tell you and I am sure it varies from person to person.

As for "herbal supplements raising liver enzymes" there are quite a number of supplements that can LOWER liver enzymes, most notably milk thistle, artichoke, dandelion, schizandra, and burdock root (among others)........

I am aware of some supplements that may be dangerous for the liver.... but not any that raise enzymes per se

Old 06-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #9
(female)

marlenelin HB User

My husband had a physical 3 months ago and was told that one liver enzyme was somewhat elevated. Since he is thin, and normal cholesterol the doc was concerned. He does not take aspirin or tylenol nor any meds. He is a runner though, and in the past year has increased his runs training for marathons. His blood work was just repeated on Monday and the doctor called on Wednesday saying that he needed to see him immediately to discuss his results. His current liver enzymes have increased dramatically in the last 3 months (alt and ast are twice the upper end of normal) and one other liver enzyme is also increased, that was normal on his last blood work 3 months ago. The doctor said that something is definitely going wrong and ordered a hepatitis workup which we will receive next week. My husband did run 13 miles Sunday morning, about 24 hours before the test was done. On the last test done 3 months ago, he ran about 7 miles the day before. He has no symptoms other than tiredness, which he claims is from sleep deprivation (he gets less than 5 hours sleep a night). The doctor says it is not exercise related, but I wonder? Do any of you have any documentation relating exercise to elevated liver enzymes? I am so scared. Thanks Marlene

Old 06-17-2005, 07:02 PM   #10
(male)

ryu1977 HB User

Yes, if you type "exercise ALT AST elevated" in your search engine you can find many websites that explain the relation between excessive exercise and elevated liver enzymes. Basically, when we exercise we make damage to our muscle and that could increase ALT and AST, also the repairing process for the damaged muscle could increase both enzymes too. Some websites even said 3-4 times normal value.

However, I really suggest that before take blood test, people should avoid any medicine, heavy activities, and stress for at least one week before.

good luck all

Old 06-18-2005, 06:55 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

While seeing an elevation in the liver enzymes is a possibility,I would think that the increse would be rather minimal at best.If they are really way out of range, i think this would be more related to some sort of a liver disease or condition.Marcia

Old 06-19-2005, 06:50 PM   #12
(female)

redrdr HB User

just curious, feelbad. What do you consider "out of range" for the liver enzymes? thanks

Old 06-19-2005, 08:19 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

happyelf HB User

redrdr-- how are you feeling? did you go to the dr abt your liver/belly? Did he run a blood test/liver panel? waht were your levels? Been worried abt you b/c you felt so bad. Hope you're doing better.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:09 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Out of range would be either above or below the standard ranges set by the labs.if you look at any lab sheets they will have what your actual ranges are and in the middle area, it will state(if yours is out of range)high or low and after that, the actual ranges set by the labs so you can see what the actual numbers are for the ranges.When there is only a slight waver out of range, it could just mean that your ranges are slightly normally that way.But if you see something many points up or down,that could indicate something more definite.Or in your case, because of heavy exersion, a few points up would not be that unusual, but it should be going back down if you lay off the excercise for a bit.If it stays then there most likely would be something more to it.Do you know what I mean?Marcia

Closed Thread