It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2005, 01:24 AM   #1
(male)

DK2005 HB User
Milk Thistle Interactions with Blood Pressure Drugs?

Does anyone know of any known interactions or dangers associated with taking Milk Thistle and Avapro or any other drugs for high blood pressure? Anyone told their doctor they were using milk thistle while on these drugs?

Old 06-22-2005, 02:40 AM   #2
(female)

taffylass HB User
Re: Milk Thistle Interactions with Blood Pressure Drugs?

I have started milk thistle and take B/P drugs. I never thought of it being a problem!!! My GP hasnt heard about it so I dont know if I am doing the right thing either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2005, 07:57 AM   #3
(female)

Green Eyed Granny HB User
Thumbs up Re: Milk Thistle Interactions with Blood Pressure Drugs?

Hi, my Dr. put me on Inderal, and told me to take Milk Thistle, I've been on both now for almost five years. I have Hep C, and Cirrhosis and these two are all I take. Never had any problems.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
(female)

penniedad HB User
Unhappy Re: Milk Thistle Interactions with Blood Pressure Drugs?

[help please tell me does milk thistle help?my liver is bad, i take blood pressure drugs, i have hep. c

Last edited by penniedad; 06-22-2005 at 07:55 PM.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User

As far as I know there have never been any serious negative side effects attributable to Milk Thistle. Of ALL the herbs and alternative medicines, it is regarded as the best one for protecting and helping the liver to heal itself. But if the liver has been damaged beyond a certin point, nothing is going to help.......

Old 06-24-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User

All I can say is what THEHAPPYMAN said and that I have read nothing negative about milk thistle. That's not to say milk thistle can't interact with something but there seems to be nothing out there yet saying so. I wish very large clinical trials would be done on this herb because it seems to have great potential. My GI has no problem with suggesting this herb and he has said that he has seen positive effects. However, he is an FDA man meaning he won't suggest it unless he has seen some FDA approval. I think that is a problem with alot of doctors.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:09 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

OhioMOM HB User

i agree no negative side effects have been attributed to milk thistle. however, 3 university studies have been done and there have been no positive effects on people with chronic or autoimmune liver disease... it seems most doctors believe that if you want to take it you should, if you dont it wont make a difference in the health of your liver.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:42 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

OhioMOM HB User

the reason doctors dont endorse milk thistle is that there has never been a study that is done under the right protocol that support its use... however, i understand the NIH is looking into doing a study.

Closed Thread