It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
(female)

sissypop HB User
Liver cleansing

Have any of you heard of it? It's where you drink olive oil and grapefruit juice and a couple of other things are added to it I think. There is this whole process to it. Anyway it's suppose to be a very healthly thing to do and the thing I was reading about it said to do it like every six months.

Anybody had any experience with this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 06:00 AM   #2
(male)

shteve HB User
Re: Liver cleansing

I do a liver cleanse every six months, and it works. The method I use is from the Liver Cleansing Handbook by Rhody Lake, with olive oil, lemon juice in water, and pressed garlic and ginger. You'll feel queasy for a couple of hours, but it's worth it. The best liver cleanse diet is by Dr Sandra Cabot - a genius.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

OhioMOM HB User

i have heard dr. cabot speak, i listened to her while she sat on a panel with doctors from University California at Davis, New England Medical Center, Mt. Sinai, Columbia, and the Mayo clinic...... she had no verifiable proof of her findings.... i myself thought there was a danger in following some of her protocol. for instance, grapfruit juice nullifys the effects of many drugs that liver patients take, high levels of minerals can also be toxic for chronic liver disease.... she admitted when pressed that she had never done a double blind study to check results.

It is one thing to use a diet when you are suffering from nothing serious, but a seriously ill liver patient should not use anything without a doctors consent... so if you are suffering from a night on the town, go for it. if you have cirrhosis, i think i would trust my doctors opinon, which is based on sound theory.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
(female)

sissypop HB User

No I don't have a liver disease. I was just reading about some things and saw where most Americans have fatty livers. I saw this liver cleansing thing and thought it made sense.

Yeah shteve that's the one. You say it works and I believe you but what exactly do you think it does for you? Do you actually feel better?

Old 08-08-2005, 11:22 AM   #5
(female)

sue5007 HB User

Cleansing the liver will "unclogg" it, thus allowing it to funciton easier/better. The liver is either directly or indirectly involved with just aobut every body function, so it wouldn't surprise me if it helps with "brain fog".
Dr. Clark has a program that takes about 24 hours. The items needed are: epsom salts, olive oil, pink grapefruit, ornithine, a straw, pint jar with lid, black walnut tincture. You start her program at 2:00 in the afternoon, and by morning you will painlessly "pass" stones from the liver.
I am considering giving it a try for many reasons, the first being weight loss. I would really love to hear more testimonials-good and bad about it.

~Sue

Last edited by sue5007; 08-08-2005 at 11:27 AM.

Old 08-13-2005, 02:57 PM   #6
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

The one that I do is very close to the one recommended by SHTEVE. I squeeze one lemon, 4oz. aloe vera herbal detoxifying formula (burdock, dandellion, spearmint, echinacea, green tea, red clover, blue cohosh, buckthorn), garlic extract (comes in a 2oz bottle), milk thistle extract (comes in 2oz bottle) and olive oil. You can add water to this formula. I did this for several months as a result of high ALT & AST levels. It worked. The numbers are now in the recommended range. If you don't have a medical issue the first five days of every month seems appropriate but not just one day every six months. That's not enough. The above ingredients won't harm you. Be good to your liver.

Old 08-13-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

OhioMOM HB User

actually it is not true that these items wont harm you... if you have chronic liver disease or cirrhosis, some of these herbs can be toxic. especially dandelion.

Old 08-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #8
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

I'm shocked and stunned by your response. How could dandellion be harmful to a liver disorder. I respectfully disagree. What is your theory based upon. I have used danellion for years and will continue to use it. Shocking.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:28 PM   #9
(male)

paborn HB User

Quote:
I was just reading about some things and saw where most Americans have fatty livers.
How true is this? Where did you read it?

Old 08-15-2005, 05:05 AM   #10
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

All of my studies have led me to dandelion be nothing but good for the liver. This is a site that has potentially dangerous herbs to the liver. It's worth reading..Lisa

http://www.caromont.org/15807.cfm

Old 08-15-2005, 07:34 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

OhioMOM HB User

dandelion has high livels of minerals in it... in end stage liver disease minerals cannot process in the liver, they build up and cause big problems... you need to read information from scientists. The American Liver Foundation has endorsed books and such that can be picked up at Barnes and Noble and such. These will address this information more completely. There are other nutrients liver patients dont process well also, these vitamins, when needed have to be given in alternative ways. I applaud your research skills, but I can tell you, based on the work I do, and the information I am fortunate to be exposed to from leading research institutions in the world, that dandelion root could be potentially quite harmful to those of us with chronic liver problems. if you suffer from some simple behavioral issues and just want to cleanse your liver, this may be great, but if you are chronically ill, as are the people i service, some of this advice may well be toxic. i would not follow it without the input of my medical doctor. your site, although interesting, is all theory. there have never been scientific studies conducted at the university level to support these theories. the real danger in what you advocate is that people with all sorts of liver problems, chronic or not, will try it, and it may do more harm than good...

the article is general in nature, for instance it talks about tylenol. tylenol can be damaging to the liver in high doses, but in end stage autoimmune liver disease tylenol is thought to be safer than motrin or other pain relief drugs....

my advice would be to look for real medical research. university double blind studies. we know the NIH may be taking one on to research the claims of herbalists...

believe me, if it could help people like me i would take it. the drug companies would bottle it and make loads of money selling it, and the real medical research would be in place.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:10 AM   #12
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

I would like to thank both of you for your messages and the website. I will certainly look more into dandellion and other nutrients that I'm taking for the liver. To the best of my knowledge, I don't have a liver problem but periodically do a liver flush plus take supplements and herbs to maintain liver health. I also take vitamins and supplements for heart health and will research these supplements as well. I also take SAMe and Milk thistle on a daily basis but not a lot of it. It seems that both of these are fine. I also take garlic extract for the liver and heart. About a month ago someone alerted me about the dangers of soy which I never knew. They mean the soy that's processed in the USA. It's the processing here that makes it dangerous. I have since stopped taking soy. I should probably stick to the liver flush and juicing (carrots & beets) plus occasionally using SAMe & Milk Thistle. I've learned so much from Healthboards. I'm a senior living alone with no family so maintaining good health is so very important. So far I've never had a medical problem but who knows what tomorrow will bring. The last blood test indicated no problem (ALT, AST and all the other tests for liver). Cholesterol number are all perfect but what does that mean. I read that 50% of all heart attacks are those with perfect numbers. Again, thank you both for taking time out to post. I'm grateful. One other thing. The site mentioned not taking Borage. I recently started taking MultiOmega which is Fish Oil, Borage Oil and Fax Seed Oil. I may stop taking it until I research more about Borage.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:26 AM   #13
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

skiley,

Thanks for your input. I was diagnosed with a fatty liver through a cat scan a few years ago and I am not taking any supplements at all because I want to be sure. I do however eat alot of leafy veggies and I also eat danelion salad. I get all of my nutrients through foods and not pill form. Are you saying that dandelion in any form is toxic for liver patients? Herbs seem to be so iffy anymore first you hear they are great and then you hear they do nothing or could be harmful. I feel it is better not to take any and try to get it through the natural form. ...Lisa

Old 08-15-2005, 06:20 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

OhioMOM HB User

moxie.... i am not a doctor. i do support work for chronic liver patients with chronic liver disorders and as such, attend many conferences with world class doctors and research people. i will attend one in september in toronto and will ask the question for you as the people there will be the best in the world with regards to liver disease. they will come from Columbia University, Mayo in Rochester, University of Toronto and more..... I have read the American Liver Foundation endorsed book by Melissa Palmer. there is a wonderful segment on dandelion, milk thistle and more.

I also did just attend a conference in Nevada where Eric Gershwin from University of California, the creator of the anti mitochondrial antibody test for livers, spoke. He made a point of telling us that California had just done a comprehensive study of herbals and found that the labels at major health food stores were wrong.... the amount of herbals in the bottle did not correlate to the label. He also mentioned that there has been an effort to replicate the results claimed by herbalists with regards to the drugs, but up until this time they have not been able to replicate.....I think that may be a piece of why the NIH(National INstitute of Health) is picking up the study. The books I have read neither negate or support herbal remedies under many circumstances, although I believe the supporting documentation for milk thistle is based on research done on animals.... Read Read Read!!!!!!! Be Well!! XXOO Sarah

I have heard Sandra Cabot, author of the Liver Cleansing Diet speak in person and I can tell you that the opinion of the people in the room was that she was clearly out of her element speaking on a panel with such esteemed doctors. She did admit her diet is theory and is not based on medical research(University Double Blind Study). You do not need to research to advance a theory using readily available naturals... You only need a study if you want FDA approval at this time.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #15
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

sjkiley,

That would be great if you can find that out for me. Your input is much appreciated..Thanks, Lisa

Closed Thread