It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2005, 10:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User
ALT of 105, anything to worry about?

Hi, I just got some blood results and all of my liver, kidney and blood tests came back fine except ALT which came back as 105. I'm seeing my doctor about this on Monday but it's stressing me out a little.

The reason they did the tests was because of pain I've been having around my lower left rib and left shoulder since I had a laproscopic surgery on my stomach/gullet (it radiates to the right a little.) To do this surgery they had to move my Liver aside, so I wonder if they could of damaged it!?

I don't drink or drug, other than the painkillers I'm currently taking for this post op pain, that's Ultram and Codeine/Acetamin and Amitripiline. I had the surgery 3 months ago and they think the pain is from a damaged nerve, but I'm wondering if it could be from my liver and it's causing deferred pain to the left shoulder (I also get milder pain on the right shoulder occasionally.)

I would really appreacaite some advice and opinions on this please.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

happyelf HB User
Re: ALT of 105, anything to worry about?

hey Blasterboy--Sorry to hear of your troubles. I know it's scary--but it sounds like its the meds you are on causing your high ALT#'s. One of the biggest culprits for that is acetaminophen-and you said that was in your post op painkiller. Plus, everything we ingest (eat, drink and breathe--inlcuding vitamins and supplements) is filtered thru our liver--so it stands to reason that the meds you are on are causing the high numbers. They can and will come back down when the meds are discontinued or even decreased. Exercise, colds, flus viruses etc can also contribute to hi enzymes. It's not uncommon for them to be double or triple the normal range-as long as it's short term and they go back down when the meds or exercise (or whatever)is d/c's. They will usually want you to take as little meds as possible-or will wait until you can be off them and them retest you to see if the numbers trend down. (usually at abt 4wks out)
That liver of ours has amazing regenerative powers--mine regenerated itself after total liver failure. It's unlikely they damaged your liver during surgery-but I'd ask my dr abt it--it can't hurt. You are your best advocate-so ask the dr everything!!
Try not to stress b/c that can make it worse...I know--easy for me to say. But I've been where you are and am all too familiar w/high liver enzymes and the reasons behind them.
Besides your prescripts, don't take anything else--esp if it has acet in it. I'd check w/your dr befoe taking anything at all OTC.
Hang in there-Monday is only 3 days away...Hopefully it won't be the longest 3 of your life right now.
Elf

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2005, 03:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User
Re: ALT of 105, anything to worry about?

Thanks Happyelf, I really apreacaite your feedback. On top of the pain meds, I've also been taking High strengh Mutli Vitamins, so they can go at least (and maybe less candy!) I won't worry about it any more though as my research on top of your feedback points to this in itself been "not much of an issue."

Closed Thread