HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Liver & Pancreas Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/liver-pancreas-disorders/)
-   -   Liver bloating/pressure? please helP! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/liver-pancreas-disorders/322815-liver-bloating-pressure-please-help.html)

noaone 09-09-2005 10:56 AM

Liver bloating/pressure? please helP!

hi, im a 25 year old male, and i was diagnosed 3 months ago with fatty liver. i drink frequently, and recently i have felt a wierd bloating/pressure on my right side, where my liver is. im freaked that i have cirroshis.

is this normal? my diet isnt that healthy either. i had a CT scan 4 months back, and was told that i had fatty liver, but over the past 3 days ive felt incredibly uncomfortable. its not pain, but i feel bloated.

anyone help?

noaone 09-09-2005 11:06 AM

Re: Liver bloating/pressure? please helP!

i have been a heavy drinker for about 4 years now, and am overweight. i know its an unhealthy lifestyle.

Moxie75 09-09-2005 11:44 AM

Do a liver cleanse..read the previous posts on this and also lose weight that is a huge factor of a fatty liver..Lisa

noaone 09-09-2005 03:36 PM

i will. its weird, it feels like there is a big bubble on the upper right hand side of my abdomen.

OhioMOM 09-09-2005 05:39 PM

you need to see a doctor.... you need to stop drinking, and you need to lose weight. depending on your condition a liver cleansing diet means nothing. be accountable for your own wellbeing. this condition is controllable with behavior modification so modify! do you want to die from a bad liver. i hope not... make changes.

noaone 09-09-2005 05:59 PM

i am well aware that i need to make changes in my life, trust me. it takes a lot of willpower. im just wondering if it could be cirroshis at an early age. i hope its not

OhioMOM 09-10-2005 01:38 PM

i bet it could be. but you need to make changes. should they decide you are cirrhotic and need further care compliance is a big issue. if they know you were aware of the fatty lliver and continued to batter your liver they will not even consider further care i.e. transplant if you have not complied. organs are too rare! many young people get cirrhosis. each body is different, the level at which your body responds to alcohol abuse is further complicated by the fact you have a serious liver disease... if you are on any meds and drinking, you are doing more damage.... please stop drinking. eat healthy, go to the doctor, and get some medical advice immediately. if you cant stop drinking go to AA dont put your head in the sand and ignore this. sorry to be so tough. i work with liver patients all the time and know that as harsh as what i am saying seems, this is the reality. all the best!

noaone 09-12-2005 09:59 AM

i appreciate it. unfortunately, i have little $$$$$ to see a Dr. right now and no medical insurance. im really scared, and have stopped the drinking. when i got my tests, i was told that all my liver functions were a-ok, and that i just had fatty liver. it can become cirrhotic in 4 months?

stud50 09-12-2005 01:29 PM

noaone, I would be surprised if you had cirrossis at your age and with only four years of drinking. But it may be in your future if you are not careful.

Most liver problems do not usually manifest themselves through discomfort on the right side where the liver would be (except in cases where a very swollen liver places pressure in the abdomen). If you actually have cirrosis you would probably be experiencing several classic symptoms associated with liver desease (including swollen feet (edema), swollen abdomen (ascites), yellow eyes and skin (juandise) just to name a few.

As for the fatty liver problem, Fat is stored in all parts of the body including the liver and not just muscle tissue. Like wise it can be reduced through exercise and diet. Through a lot of hours with arobic exercise and careful attention to your caloric intake, you can actually reduce the amount of fat in the liver (and all other areas of your body). Also important is reduction of alachol in your diet which is a prime contributer to fatty liver problems. As a male, it is possible to achieve body fat down to only about 5% (12% for females). At this level there is NO fat in the liver at all.