It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 09:15 PM   #1
(female)

berniluvspat HB User
Question Need some info on high alt tests

Hi, I am new here. Female 51 years old. Menopausal. Since I went into meno I have gained about 25 pounds. That has been 2 years. I have been having high alt tests for about 4-5 years. My hmo dr told me first to have more blood tests, thought I had hepatitis. Those tests came back negative. He said don't worry about. Every year, for my physcial I have blood work. High liver tests. Last year, I had some other health issuse, went to my ob gyn and she had a fit that they were so high and nothing was being done about it. She called my family practice dr, he ran more blood work. Says it is high but don't worry. Earlier in the year, I had more blood work done. He had his nurse call me and tell me I have to quit drinking because of my liver enzemes were high. I told her I don't drink. This year I had some heart problems, and had some blood work done by a cardioligst. My cholestral is high now, and she is having a fit. So I had a ultrasound done today to see what is going on. My blood sugar for the first time was 116 a few weeks ago. My mom died of diabetes complications, my sister has it. I am sooo worried. I don't know what do think about it. My right side is tender, and my tummy is enlarged more so than I have ever seen it.
What do you think??

Old 09-25-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
(female)

Maxinek HB User
Smile Re: Need some info on high alt tests

I was diagnosed with fatty liver. It didn't show up in the CT scan though I had to have a liver biopsy, which was painful. They stick a needle in your side. I don't drink either. I almost wonder if it is from when I was on birth control. I also have high cholesterol. They said if I could get that down it would help. But most of the high cholesterol medicine is not good if you have any sort of liver problem. I hope this helps you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

OhioMOM HB User
Re: Need some info on high alt tests

how high were your labs... did you ask the doctor to look into other liver problems??

Old 09-27-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
(male)

shane24 HB User

Something's doesn't seem right. You've had high liver functions for 4-5 years and they don't think there is a problem??. First you could have a fatty liver. Do you know how high your ast/alt are??. The doctor should already know this, but suggest to him/her that you want a liver biopsy performed. Blood Tests on the liver aren't always enough to diagnose a problem. The liver biopsy can be painful, but suggest having it done with conscious sedation, you will be such more relaxed with it. That's what method I use when I get my biopsy done. However Liver Biopsy tests are performed on a routine basis, it is a common test. However it does involve some bleeding after the test in some cases. I don't blame your Ob/Gyn for having a fit either. Something should be getting done about your abnormal liver function tests.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
(female)

berniluvspat HB User

Well, got the results from my DRs nurse. She says I have a fatty liver. DUH!!
She says to quit drinking and change my diet. I don't know how many times I have told them I don't drink!! And I have been eating healthy now. I cut all fast food out etc. The nurse says there is nothing to worry about. My ALT test last Oct was 70. The same thing in June when I went in for more blood work. Everytime I see my hmo Dr he says not to worry. But I have been reading up on this, and I don't know who to believe. Should I demand a liver biopsy? Would it be worth it. I know everyone says I need to take charge of my health. But when you are fighting with HMOs it is diffcult.
Thanks for your input.
Berni

Old 09-29-2005, 12:42 AM   #6
(male)

shane24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniluvspat
Well, got the results from my DRs nurse. She says I have a fatty liver. DUH!!
She says to quit drinking and change my diet. I don't know how many times I have told them I don't drink!! And I have been eating healthy now. I cut all fast food out etc. The nurse says there is nothing to worry about. My ALT test last Oct was 70. The same thing in June when I went in for more blood work. Everytime I see my hmo Dr he says not to worry. But I have been reading up on this, and I don't know who to believe. Should I demand a liver biopsy? Would it be worth it. I know everyone says I need to take charge of my health. But when you are fighting with HMOs it is diffcult.
Thanks for your input.
Berni
Along with Fatty Liver you can also develop steatohepatitis. Patients with fatty liver or steatohepatitis usually present to a physician with unexplained elevations in the serum aminotransferase activities. Serum alkaline phosphatase and gamma-glutamyltranspeptidase activities can also be elevated. The patient is usually 10% or more above his/her ideal body weight.

If you have elevations in serum aminotransferase activities for longer than six months, you should have a liver biopsy to make the diagnosis the fatty liver or steatohepatitis. As Steatohepatitis can progress to cirrhosis . You should definetaly have a Liver Biopsy performed. Feel free to ask anymore questions. I'll try to answer them if I can.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:53 AM   #7
(female)

berniluvspat HB User

Well, going in Oct 18 for my physcial. I am going to go in with much more info than I have ever had. And I only have 15 minutes!! Thanks for everything and your support. I will keep you updated.
Thanks again
Berni

Old 09-30-2005, 02:11 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

OhioMOM HB User

fatty liver is one of the fastest occuring liver diseases today.... you can read about it on the American Liver Foundation site if you want... it requires diet and exercise to repair.... be grateful that you can change lifestyle and make yourself well. liver biopsies are an invasive procedure and you do not want one unless you must have one! i would think the doctor will ask you to change life style a bit and if that doesnt work he will do further testing... the numbers are not that high right now. i can tell you my alts right now are 900! all the best!

Old 10-08-2005, 09:19 AM   #9
(female)

berniluvspat HB User

Ok... got a copy of my blood results. My ALT is 85, my AST is 37 and my RDW
is 14.6. ALL high. My Doc said he would speak to me about this when I went in for my physical. He also said my ultrasound on my liver was unremarkable??
What does that mean. Well, talk to you all later.
Berni

Old 10-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

OhioMOM HB User

those numbers are probably managable if you change your eating habits, exercise and lose some weisht.... unremarkable means there is no sign of damage! that is good!!!

Old 10-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

OhioMOM HB User

my alt is 900 ast is 700 and rdw is 15! dont panic. do what the doctor says!!!!!

Closed Thread