It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

razz123 HB User
Question regarding Liver Problem & Urine Color

I recently had a Liver Function Test. My liver enzymes were mild to moderately elevated. However the billirubin was in the normal range.

I have no symptoms except for the following :

In the last couple of weeks , I have noticed that unless I drink a large amount of water, my urine is SPECTACULARLY GOLDEN. However by drinking enough water, I am able to pass water-like colorless urine.

With reference to the above, I have the following questions :

(1) If the GOLDEN Urine color is due to Liver Problems, should it not be "always" golden. In other words, can drinking lot of water make the color go away if the color was due to liver issues.

(2) Can Urine color be yellow or golden even if the billirubin was normal (also my eye color is normal).

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-01-2006 at 05:33 PM. Reason: please do not cross post the boards - choose the one most appropriate board for your question

Old 01-03-2006, 06:02 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

DGO1223 HB User
Re: Question regarding Liver Problem & Urine Color

Not sure about all your questions, but I can tell you it's quite normal for urine to be dark unless you drink sufficient water.

How high were your liver emzymes?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2006, 06:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

The amount of water you take in has a very direct affect on your urine color.what you described sounds completely normal.the only time your urine would really change in color and in some instances very dramatically,is when you bilirubin gets out of range.the bili,which is old red blood cells that are not being expelled anymore or very little,this is what causes the darker color and the jaundiced skin and eyes.the bili just circulates til you actually pee it out.
the golden color you described will get either darker or lighter depending on just how much fluid you took in.when it is really dark,you are not getting enough water and could actually be somewhat dehydrated.when it is lighter,you fluid intake is really good.idelly the good color would be just lightly yellow,except in the morning when it is almost always much more concentrated,but will get lighter during the day if you are drinking the right amount of water or other drinks.Does this answer your questions?Marcia

Old 01-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #4

dianne12315 HB User

I had to post a reply to this question if just to put your mind at ease. If you had any serious problems with your liver your urine would look like Coke or Pepsi in color. Also your stools would be a very light color too (almost grey.) The color of your urine as you are describing it sounds OK and if anything you just need to drink more water. Urine that is not a pale color is also a sign of dehydration. Unless it is the color of Pepsi I would not worry too much. Just keep a check on your liver function tests.

Good luck and I hope this helped.
Dianne

Closed Thread