It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
(female)

phovo HB User
Can Splenda really harm your liver???????

A relative told me that using Splenda can cause liver problems. I use Splenda every day in my tea....2 tsp. Sometimes I drink tea twice a day. I googled this and found that Splenda can indeed cause your liver to swell. So here goes one more thing that I may delete in my life to see if the enzymes go down. My MD appt is Wed for these rising enzymes and I am at a loss trying to figure out how this could have happened to me. Has anyone personally been affected by this Splenda/liver connection?

Old 03-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran

inyourdreams HB User
Re: Can Splenda really harm your liver???????

My enzymes were up when I was using Equal a lot---got rid of the fake sugars (and real sugars for that matter) and all is well now.

I truly believe those fake sugars do more harm than you think. I read in a book years ago about how your liver doesn't know whether it's real sugar or fake, that it just metabolizes it the same. And there are people out there that are very sensitive to fake sugars. It can cause more than just a swelled liver.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2006, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Splenda is fine. Ignore the fake "warnings"...they are bought and paid for by the well heeled sugar industry that feels threatened by artificial sweetners. They'd like instead for each of us to eat a pound of sugar a day (up from the daily quarter pound that we eat now.)

Last edited by Lenin; 03-14-2006 at 07:00 AM.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
(female)

Green Eyed Granny HB User

Oh my God, I sure hope not. I've been using it for three or four years now, and I have Hep C and Cirrhosis.
My enzimes go up and down anyway.
I tried to find out before I used it if it was ok. Splenda said it was fine, and so did my Dr. at that time. But I never really trusted either.
At any rate I ended up gaining forty pounds, so I might as well quit using it.[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=224 5037#[/url]
Confused

Old 03-14-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Veteran

inyourdreams HB User

The warnings I read weren't from some article from a sugar company. They were from real people that posted such stories as having brain tumors and seizures from the stuff. So a few rats survived their testings a few years ago----I'll still pass, thank you.

Granny---the reason you gained (and I did too) is because your body is still processing those fake sugars just like real sugar. As soon as something sweet hits your taste buds, insulin starts pumping in your body. If your body's cells can't handle the amount of insulin it makes fat, it's as simple as that.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
(female)

My problem is I love sweets, and I'm alway's hungry. I was never put on any kind of diet, and I eat everything. Nothing seems to bother me.
But I got a feeling I need to be tested for Diabete's
Going to a new Dr. in April.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
Veteran

inyourdreams HB User

Exact same problem I have----or had anyway. When you crave sweets and you're always hungry, that means your insulin levels are too high. When they're high your body makes fat no matter what you eat. In order to get the insulin levels down you would need to eat a high protein, high fat, low carb diet. Like 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carb. The carbs being no whites--only whole grain. And always, always eat a protein with a carb.

The protein and fat are what makes you not hungry. Trust me---I could eat carbs all day long (and feel miserable) but once I get onto an eating program like above, I am not hungry and eat very little. I feel great on it too.

The fake sugars are making your body THINK it's getting real sugar and reacting the same way. Artificial sugar, no matter what kind is just not a good thing. Even sugars from certain fruits can raise your insulin levels.

A great book to test yourself is The Metabolic Typing Book. Good luck at your Drs.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
(female)

Smile Re: Can Splenda really harm your liver???????

Thanks inyourdreams, I'll try that !

Closed Thread