It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2006, 12:54 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

StanTheMan HB User
Can a liver repair itself?

I have a friend who is an alcoholic he has been drinking heavy for atleast the last ten years and if he decided to stop now,would his liver repair itself?

I also have a bad problem with drinking alot of pop(infact that's all I do drink) and eating junk food,if i started eating healthy would my liver repair any damage I have caused? or is it to late?

Old 03-30-2006, 07:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Can a liver repair itself?

With regard to your frend,that would depend on many many factors espescially the true extent of the specific damage that was done and to what areas.once the cirhosis gets to the point where it is blocking the portal vein and causing all of those nasty symptoms to develop.like vomiting blood? its a bit too late to reverse that part.but if the damage is not too bad,it can regenerate itself to a point.he would really need to see his doc for a full liver workup to know just where he is at as far as damage.

with you,tho your diet isn't all that wonderful,i dont think your liver would be extensively damaged by what you have stated.just switching to like drinking bottled water would be a big big help.all that pop contains alot of phosphates that actually effects the kidneys much more than the liver.this was one big thing we were told that our son needed to stay away from after his liver Tx and he also has polycystic kidney disease,just like i do.try cutting back on the crappy food and turn to things that are a bit more healthy once in a while.junl food wont cause you real liver damage but it does not really help it either.you know what I mean?

just have your freind see his doc about the liver function tests and if he needs to address any sort of possible alcoholism issues he really needs to discuss this with his doc as well.If he does not stop drinking,it will almost certainly cause him major liver issues at some point.The human body can only take so much abuse and will then show itself.good luck to both of you.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
(female)

nobodytotalkto HB User

I totally agree with what feelbad said. I had elevated enzymes and the doctor told me to drink more water. I was scared that my liver was majorly damaged by the soda that I drank, so I laid off of it for a few weeks and drank lots of water. My doctor couldn't believe that my enzymes dropped 11 points in such a short time. It turns out that I have gallstones, but my doctor said that the enzymes shouldn't have went down, but up. She guesses that it is because the water flushed away the extra bile and toxins.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:20 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

StanTheMan HB User

hey thanks for your help guys!

Closed Thread