It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #1

calys HB User
Congestive heart failure, emphysema, and cirrhosis of the liver

My mother was hospitalized and diagnosed with congestive heart failure, emphysema and cirrhosis of the liver. She's been a heavy smoker most of her life and also a heavy alcoholic.
Everyone is telling me that she is going to be fine but I looked up cirrhosis and from what I found only 30% of people survive past 5 years.
Does anyone have experience in dealing with somebody that had all 3 of those conditions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-06-2006 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Please read and follow the rules.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Congestive heart failure, emphysema, and cirrhosis of the liver

The most important thing having to do with the cirhosis is to find out the actual extent of damge and the actual function of it.how much fuction does she have.also depending on just where the damage is the most significant will also make a big difference in how things will go.if the damage reached the portal vein,this will bring on a host of huge symptoms/problems as opposed to the heaviest damage being somwhere else.

getting an ultrasound would really tell alot and would also check how much blood flow is actually still going thru that portal vein.if the portal gets blocked something alled portal hypertension will kick in due to the fact that the blood can no longer flow thru that vein anymore and starts to back up into other organs and the fragile veins in the stomach and the throat,since these are veins and are used to carrying only low velocity blood flow,the increased pressure will cause a lot of other issues to develop that will need immediate attention.

sooo,just getting that ultrasound will tell you alot about how things are really going in there.there are also specific symptoms of portal hypertension that would give you a clue that something is up.my son went thru this about seven years ago so i am kinda familiar with this part of things if you want more info.hopefully her damage is going on mostly on the opposite side and not around the portal vein yet.

do you happen to know what her liver labs were like?i wish you and your mom lots of luck.i hope things are not too extensive at this point.please let us know just how things are going.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread