It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
(male)

marstoad HB User
high AST/ALT/GGT

Hello all,

Over the past year or so I have had some varying high liver function test results. My last 2 GGTP results were 59 and 82 (of the 3 times I was test my first time didn't report the GGTP). My last 3 AST results were 58, 39, and 54 and my last ALT results were 125, 81 and 96. All of my other tests were all normal. I do not have Hep A,B or C. My doctor thinks i might have N.A.S.H. but he isn't sure. Yes, I could lose a few pounds. I am 6'5" 270 pounds. I do drink some. On average I would say that I drink about 1 beer a day (some days none and on some maybe 3?). On some occasions I will drink a few more but I am not an alcoholic. I did have a ruptured disc in my back which was pinching a nerve. i had surgery but still have back problems with a lot of pain. I would say that I take either Tylenol or Ibuprofen everyday but never more then 4 pills of either. No other drugs.

My gastroenterologist doesn't seem too concerned about my levels. He just keeps telling me to get my levels checked every 6 months. Are these high levels? Or are they slightly high and nothing to be worried about? Maybe i am clueless but if I had a cholesterol level of 201 that would be considered high but in reality I might not be too worried about it and would adjust my diet accordingly but wouldn't take any drastic measures. That may not be the best analogy? Now, that being said this is my liver and it concerns me a lot more. How should I view these results? Should I be concerned enough that I don't drink anything ever again and become a vegetarian starting now? I guess my doctor doesn't seem too worried about it but yet I read these posts and it seems like my levels are high?

Thanks for all of the help!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
(male)

kmacdona HB User
Re: high AST/ALT/GGT

Here are what the normal ranges are:
SGOT (Serum Glutamic-Oxalocetic Transaminase - AST)

Serum Glutamic Oxalocetic Transaminase or AST is an enzyme found primarily in the liver, heart, kidney, pancreas, and muscles. Seen in tissue damage, especially heart and liver, this enzyme is normally elevated. Vitamin B deficiency and pregnancy are two instances where the enzyme may be decreased.

Normal Adult Range: 0 - 42 U/L
Optimal Adult Reading: 21

SGPT (Serum Glutamic-Pyruvic Transaminase - ALT)

Serum Glutamic Pyruvic Transaminase or ALT is an enzyme found primarily in the liver but also to a lesser degree, the heart and other tissues. It is useful in diagnosing liver function more so than SGOT levels. Decreased SGPT in combination with increased cholesterol levels is seen in cases of a congested liver. We also see increased levels in mononucleosis, alcoholism, liver damage, kidney infection, chemical pollutants or myocardial infarction.

Normal Adult Range: 0 - 48 U/L
Optimal Adult Reading: 24

GGT (Gamma-Glutamyl Transpeptidase)

Believed to be involved in the transport of amino acids and peptides into cells as well as glutithione metabolism, Gamma-Glutamyl Transpeptidase is mainly found in liver cells and as such is extremely sensitive to alcohol use. Elevated levels may be found in liver disease, alcoholism, bile-duct obstruction, cholangitis, drug abuse, and in some cases excessive magnesium ingestion. Decreased levels can be found in hypothyroidism, hypothalamic malfunction and low levels of magnesium.

Normal Adult Female Range: 0 - 45 U/L
Optimal Female Reading: 22.5
Normal Adult Male Range: 0 - 65 U/L
Optimal Male Reading: 32.5

Old 08-17-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
(male)

marstoad HB User

Thanks for the info. Still I don't understand what that means. Another example I can relate to is that my mother had ovarian cancer. Her levels for the CA 125 test were very high. I don't remember the exact number but it was 10's if not 100's of times higher then the normal level. So it wasn't borderline it was very high. Are my levels high enough that I have to worry about dying tomorrow or is my body telling me something is wrong and I need to fix it soon or something bad will happen or is it telling me nothing is wrong go on with life as usual?

Thanks for the insight.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
(male)

kmacdona HB User

Your numbers are slighty above the normal range. This probably isn't life threatening at the moment unless they continue to get worse. It is a sign that something is going on and your liver is reacting to it. I would quit taking anything that would antagonize the liver any further like drinking or taking tylenol prodcuts. Let us know how your next appointment goes.

MaC

Closed Thread