It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 04:16 AM   #1
(female)

coreday HB User
Question Bile drain after liver resection

Hello everyone. Just a quick question here. I have recently had a liver resection (60%) and removal of my gallbladder all at the same time. I was diagnosed with a hepatic adenoma but really had an FNH when they got in there....

anyways, what my question is, for those of you who have had similar surgery....how long was your bile drain in for? It's been almost 2 months for me now and I am soooo done with this drain. It hurts, it pulls, it leaks, and it does not fit under my clothes. Just wondering what I am in for....any time frame I should be expecting?

Thank you all, I appreciate any heads up you can give. Reading past threads about this kind of surgery really helped me get through it.

The Following User Says Thank You to coreday For This Useful Post:
bruce firth (06-16-2011)
Old 08-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
(female)

FANNYLOU HB User
Re: Bile drain after liver resection

My resection was only about 20% and the gallbladder out. But I only had a drain for about 3 weeks. Sounds a bit long to me. But your resection was much larger. Do you have a lot of output? My had decreased to barely nothing that I thought the thing was stopped up! They told me how to milk the tubing and wiggle it around so that it wasn't suctioned to something inside and not working properly but it came out at the same time my stapples did. All 67 of them. I don't know which was worse. Hope this helps. I would definetly call if I was you. Oh, my surgery was b/c of a football size FNH.

Fannylou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
(female)

coreday HB User

Thank you FannyLou.
I had a 7cm FNH that was constricting blood flow and breaking veinous walls. Plus I had a bunch of little ones that nobody knew about until they were inside.

My drain still has quite a bit of output. Not a full bag, but enough to make it heavy. Was it good to have no output for you? Or were they concerned the drain was kinked? I wonder if they are waiting for me to have no output before they take it out.

I go back to the Dr. on Monday...hopefully they will take it out...but nobody seems to want to make that decision...who knows.

Did it hurt when they took it out?

Old 08-25-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
(female)

FANNYLOU HB User

My FNH was around 12 cm x 11 cm. I did have one small one in the center of my liver that they did an ultrasound on during the operation. The surgeon said that it would have need a 75% resection and lots of bile duct and artery repair to be get that one. It is only 2 cm, so they decided to leave it. I have develope 3 more in the past year and each of those are about 1 cm, so for now we just monitor. But the large one had to go! I was causing me so much pain. The biggest concern was that it would rupture the sack that my liver was in. The tumor was the same size as my right lobe. That is how it kept getting missed on the ultrasounds.

The tube was really painful to have removed as much as it was weird. I mean really weird. It is really long. About 4 feet long as a matter of fact. It wraps and winds around all of your organs. They will tell you to take a deep breath and hold it. It only takes a second. But it feels like a really big worm being pulled from your body. The only thing that hurt was that mine was a little stuck and I could feel it tear away from something ....? I wasn't painful just really wierd.

I think it doesn't get removed until you output is below so many cc perday. I would empty mine a couple of times a day, because it does get very heavy and ackward.

Hope things go well at you next appointment. How are you feeling otherwise. Do you still have a good bit of pain? I did for a long time.

Fannylou

The following user gives a hug of support to FANNYLOU:
bruce firth (06-16-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to FANNYLOU For This Useful Post:
bruce firth (06-16-2011)
Old 08-25-2006, 05:10 PM   #5
(male)

Glenn40 HB User

Hi All,

Im new to the liver cancer scence and need all the info I can get. Im trying to read all of the post I can. Myself I have 2 spots on my liver from metastsis from colon cancer. 1.5cm and 1.7cm. I dont know yet if they are able to do a resection. I just found out yesterday, bummer!

What is FHN? Any info and experinces you can share would be greatly appreciated. What can i expect as far as surgery and recovery?

Thanks and God bless
Glenn40

Old 08-28-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
(female)

coreday HB User

I had my surgery on July 7th. I have to say it was worse than I expected, but looking back at it now, it was not fun, and I was in a little pain afterward (mostly when I was trying to get in and out of bed), but it could have been worse.

Because they thought I had a hepatic adenoma I was told surgery would be 4 hours at the most and in the hospital for 5 or 6 days, but when they discovered it was an FNH and was doing things malignant tumors due, and because the tumor was pinching my blood flow in and out of the liver, the surgery ended up being 12 hours. When surgeon left the surgery to talk to my parents he mentioned its easier to do a liver transplant than what they were going to have to do to me. I ended up in the hospital for 10 days (and begged on the last day to go home). It was rough, I was tired, my stamina was nothing, I was getting sick after everything I ate (especially the fatty stuff) which I contribute to the gallbladder being gone (nobody warned me about the lifestyle change).

2 weeks after surgery I developed a fever and ended up in the hospital for another 4 days. They found two pockets of fluid in my abdomen, one infected, the other keeping my lung collapsed. Needless to say they drained it.

I am feeling pretty good now. No pain other than the drain..where in enters me the stitches pull, especially when the bag is full or when I accidently pull on it. Not sure if I can lay on my stomach yet, since I still have the drain. My stamina is getting better, but I get tired REALLY fast. Still not sleeping well, my sleep schedule has changed probably because of all the time they wake you up in the hospital to check you.

I am sorry to hear Fannylou that you still have pain. Do they know why? How long has it been since your surgery?

I am glad to have mine done. No longer to worry about it, other than the periodic CT scans I assume I will have to have. I also loved my surgeon, he definately knew what he was doing!

Closed Thread