It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
(male)

millhouse HB User
Question about alcohol related fatty liver.......

I recently had a CT and MRI after I was having some unrelated issues and while everything else came back fine, the CT and MRI indicated generalized fat infiltration of the liver so I have a fatty liver. I'm 6'1 and 195 pounds with low cholesteral and I do drink frequently so it has to be alcohol related.

Because this was a secondary issue to why I was in the hospital, it didn't get much attention but my doctor told me to stop drinking and the liver will heal itself.

My question is, how long does it take to reverse a fatty liver. I haven't had a drink in about a month and my family is kind of freaking out about the fatty liver diagnosis and would flip if they saw me drinking.

Before I stopped drinking, I was having two to four drinks a day probably five days a week with a binge night probably two times a month.

anyone have any idea about how long it takes to reverse a fatty liver? I kind of like having a drink in the evenings but certainly do not want to risk any long term liver problems. Once it is reversed and I do decide to resume drinking, I will certainly cut back knowing how it affects my body.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:53 AM   #2
(male)

kmacdona HB User
Re: Question about alcohol related fatty liver.......

Everyone who drinks a moderate amount of alcohol, (about 4-6 beers), and I repeat, everyone, gets alcohol fatty liver. Normally the liver recovers, studies have shown, in about 4 weeks. With no continued intake of ethanol. (alcohol)
Most people live a normal healthy life with a fatty liver. Others can have it progress to hepatitis (inflammation of the liver) to fibrosis and finally cirrhosis.
This can happen in as early as 10-15 years in a heavy drinker.
So, if you are a light to moderate drinker, you should be ok.
You can also google or yahoo alcohol fatty liver and get more information.

MaC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
(male)

millhouse HB User

Thanks for the reply Mac. I have been researching alot and will probably go and talk with a gastro doc and let look at my images from the MRI.

I do like to drink but don't want to compromise my health. Even though I have abused alcohol in the past, I feel like I can moderate my drinking once I know my liver is back to 100%.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
(male)

kmacdona HB User

I hope all goes well.
Keep us posted.

MaC

Old 09-28-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Morgan99 HB User

I also was diagnosed with fatty liver (alcohol related) 2 years ago, my mom told me to take Milk Thistle (an herb) for several months I took it and had my liver rechecked it was NORMAL! I have been taking it every since and still drink, I have had it checked at least 2 more times since and it was still normal! It is a liver detox and cleansing herb, Give it a try, it can't hurt! Hope this helps!

Old 09-28-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
(male)

danielm HB Userdanielm HB User

You'll find it will vary depending on the person and what they do in order to get things back to normal.

For fatty liver, the most obvious thing to do is stop drinking. If it's caused by being overweight, you lose weight and change your diet. You may also need to take vitamin supplements as well.

It can take a month, it can take years. Seriously.

I've been diagnosed with fatty liver (caused by diet/overweight) approx 3 months ago and still have regular symptoms.

Your condition is usually built up over an extended period of time and it's obvious that it will also take an extended period of time to reverse the condition, depending (like I said) on what has caused the condition, the genetic makeup of the affected person and the course of action you take afterwards.

Most people diagnosed with this illness experience no symptoms at all, some get a few, some (sadly, like myself) get a lot. Everyone is different and sadly there's no definitive 'it'll take this long to get better' opinion you will get.

That said, because your situation was induced by alcohol, you will often find your recovery time will be quicker than someone who's gotten it another way.

Best wishes and good luck.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:13 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Hi there, I have NASH (non-alcoholic steatohepatitis) which is a form of fatty liver disease, and yes, you can help heal your liver through diet and lifestyle changes... but first I want to tell you a little tale...

My sister had alcohol related fatty liver and was hospitalized with jaundice two years ago... she was 36 at the time.
She gave her liver a break and cut off the drinking, but then she started again... a few beers here and there... one can't hurt... right?
My sister was admitted to the hospital again last June and died of liver failure on June 26, 2005 at the age of 37.

This is a serious wake-up call for you... you have been given a HUGE second chance... at this point you can reverse the damage and live a full life... but you have to stop drinking... period! No glass of wine with holiday meals, no "just one cold beer" after cutting the grass... because your liver has already had enough. You are not immortal... you are not indestructable...

My sister's final words before slipping into a coma "I will be fine... just a few days here and I promise no more drinking... I am just going to take a nap now and will call you later." Later never came.

My fatty liver disease is not alcohol related... I would drink maybe 5 glasses of wine a year... but I will never drink another drop, not just because my liver cannot handle it, but because yes... just one glass WILL hurt.

Closed Thread