It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
(male)

mattmatt HB User
Worried about combination of alcohol and nyquil

Hey everyone. I had a night of fairly heavy drinking. We'll say around 10 beers. Soon after before I went to sleep, I took some nyquil (around 3 capfulls). I figured that since nyquil had alcohol in it to begin with, what's the harm in taking it after drinking..? WRONG!

The next day I saw on the lable that it has 500mg of acetamenophin in each capfull so I had about 1500mg total.

How dangerous is this to my liver? Should I get liver tests done?

Old 09-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #2

someday21 HB User
Re: Worried about combination of alcohol and nyquil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmatt
Hey everyone. I had a night of fairly heavy drinking. We'll say around 10 beers. Soon after before I went to sleep, I took some nyquil (around 3 capfulls). I figured that since nyquil had alcohol in it to begin with, what's the harm in taking it after drinking..? WRONG!

The next day I saw on the lable that it has 500mg of acetamenophin in each capfull so I had about 1500mg total.

How dangerous is this to my liver? Should I get liver tests done?

Doing that once, isn't going to hurt you. Doing it repeatedly over a period of years might.

Unless you develop any other symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it. I just wouldn't do it again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2006, 03:49 AM   #3
(male)

danielm HB Userdanielm HB User

Yep, I agree. If you did what you did over an extended period of time then definitely you'd be at risk of liver damage, but as it is, your liver will not be harmed long term by what you've done. In fact, it has the capacity to fully recover from doing something like that in about a week if left to rest.

Most liver damage comes from abuse from either alcohol and/or medications over an extended period of time.

If you are still concerned however, you can ask your GP to give you a liver screening test (which is basically a blood test) and they can look at your blood levels and get an idea of the health on your liver from that.

Best wishes and don't abuse your liver in the future

Old 09-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
(male)

mattmatt HB User

Thank you both for the quick replies. I plan to totally stop drinking and taking medicines for a while to hopefully minimize any harm I've done. I have to be be more aware in the future of what I take.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:23 PM   #5

someday21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmatt
Thank you both for the quick replies. I plan to totally stop drinking and taking medicines for a while to hopefully minimize any harm I've done. I have to be be more aware in the future of what I take.

well, if it makes you feel any better.. over a period of 4 years I drank regularly and took tylenol and ibuprophen to a point of where my liver enzymes were 30 times normal.

In a month, I recoved with completely normal enzymes. 100 percent normal and no damage at all.

This isn't an okay to do to your body, trust me.. I suffered before I stopped.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Podee HB User

Someday how are the enzymes now?

Old 02-06-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
(female)

garana HB User

I Have Felt Great Side Effects From Nyquil Alone With No Alcohol Consumed (dizziness Fuzzy Head Tired Hungover Feelings) Next Day.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:20 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Podee HB User

Nyquil's primary ingredient is alcohol.

Closed Thread