It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

senkel HB User
need some direction-please help

I would be so appreciative if someone can give me some insight into what may be happening to me. In July, I ended up in the ER. I had about 4 days of chills, fever, sweating and shaking. On day 5, I started vomiting even when only consuming ice chips. The ER doctor thought I had hepatitis, but I tested negative for the hep. tests and mono. My labs showed all liver enzymes were elevated - SGPT (ALT) 286, SGOT (AST) 202, Alk Phosphatase 347, Total Bilrubin 2.2. My White Blood Cell count was low 2.5, HCT Low, Platelets low (114). They did a abdominal ultrasound - normal appearing liver, kidneys, pancreas, biliary ducts, no lesions, mildly enlarged spleen. They gave me an I.V. and sent me home to follow up with my own dr.

The next day, I started itching terribly, eyes turned yellow for about a week. My doctor did labs and said my liver enzymes had all went up between 300-750. Since my eyes were no longer yellow, she said to just monitor the liver enzymes. The itching still continues in the evening, especially on the arms.
I had terrible gallbladder pain (I'm quite sure) below right rib cage and in shoulder for about a week in August. Occasionally, I have mild pain on the right side. I am losing a lot of hair and have increased hunger, but no weight gain. I'm 39 with two little boys. I need to be healthy for them. What does this sound like? The drs. don't know.

Before all of this started, I was on Atkins Induction. I had horrible diarrhea which I was told by the Atkins forum might mean that I was not producing enough bile to break down the fats and protein. So I did the liver/gallbladder flush with the olive oil and grapefruits. Severe diarrhea, but I don't recall seeing any stones. I was also taking a DHEA supplement, too much I believe. I thought possible drug-induced hepatitis from that, but who knows.

I don't have insurance, so I have waited on additional labs. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thank you in advance for your help

Last edited by senkel; 10-01-2006 at 08:06 AM. Reason: title changed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
(female)

mfife31 HB User
Re: symptoms

Just curious if when they did your blood labs did they run some of the autoimmune tests as well.Some doctors seem to not check that route when the virals are negative. Ultra sounds will really not show much in the way of damage to your liver unless it was enlarged, shrinking,tumors and things of that nature. Yellow eyes and high liver enzymes along with the other tests I would think should warrant furthur investigation. Look up a few of the autoimmune diseases that effect your liver(autoimmune hepatitis,Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis,Primary biliary cirrhosis ,etc)and see if any sound like your situation.I hope they check all possible routes just to make sure.As far as the atkins diet I dunno how that effects things. Best of luck to you!!
Mfife31

Old 10-01-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: symptoms

Your symptoms all sound related to gallstones which can cause blockage of the small and large intestines. You should be seeing a gastroenterologist for further testing as it can lead to liver damage.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
(male)

kmacdona HB User

Yellowing of the eyes is caused by jaundice. Jaundice is caused by damage to the liver. (for the most part) Mari526 stated your symptoms could be caused by gallstones. I just want to point out that liver problems can cause gallstones and vice versus. If you can't afford insurance you need to look at social services. If you drink, you need to quit. Stop the atkins diet and detoxification or any other home remedies. These procedures can be toxic to the liver as well.
See a doctor. Don't let them blow you off.

MaC

Old 10-02-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
(female)

senkel HB User

Thank you so much for the information. I initially thought it could be gallstones but the ultrasound didn't reveal anything. How would they diagnose gallstones if they can't see them? What about gallbladder sludge? How is this treated? No autoimmune tests were done. I have read that autoimmune hepatitis and thyroid problems can occur together. I am having lab work tomorrow. Which autoimmune tests should be added to the labs? Sorry to ask so many questions. I am so grateful for the feedback. I have applied for retroactive MediCal to cover this as a emergency medical condition. I will get the lab results on Friday. Is there anything I can request that will help the doctors narrow down what might be happening. The jaundice only lasted a few days. Eyes and skin are clear now. Still itching at night. I will check out the conditions mentioned to compare symptoms and the tests needed. Thank you so much.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
(female)

mfife31 HB User

From what I have read only a HIDA scan can assess the flow from the gall bladder.(sludge or poor flow)WEll there are 2 kinds of thyroid dieases that are autoimmune, one is hashimotos thyroiditis and the other is graves disease.They say that once you have one autoimmune disease you have more of a chance of developing another one.(tho not always)I believe that itching is a symptom od either pbc or psc , not sure off the top of my head ,been a long day! lol Well depends on which autoimmune disease they are looking for to what tests they run.Just maybe mention autoimmune and see what they think.It wont hurt to ask. Best of luck to you!!! Mfife31

Old 10-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
(male)

kmacdona HB User

bilirubin in the blood causes itching in a lot of patients with liver disease/problems. If you had jaundice then most likely you had elevated bilirubin levels. And, even though the jaundice is gone, you can still have enough of an elevated biluribin level to cause itching.

MaC

Old 10-10-2006, 06:53 AM   #8
(female)

normac HB User
Unhappy Re: symptoms

I have most of the same symptoms my levels are sightly up, the pain is sometimes there and sometimes, not I also have a daughter at home the is not quite stable enough to handle if it I were really sick. I have an ultra sound on the 20 I will let you know what they find unless you know first then let me know. My pain is releived when I take pain meds, or lay on my stomach what do you think all this may be? I run a low fever from time to time I had my gallbladder out in January, after that I had to have a erc of my because I was still very sick they left a stone. Now the pain has been back for around 3 months not steady, but feeling like a dull stab if I lay down on it it goes away. Let me know and I will let you know.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:25 AM   #9
(female)

liver99 HB User

Sounds like PSC, I has similar symptoms for years before they diagonsised me. Labs, ultrasounds, liver biopsy, ERCP, CT scans. The worst was the itching all the time, due to bile not being able to get out.
I would have a dr check for PSC-primary sclerosing cholangitis-a disease the blocks and obstructs the biles ducts inside and outside the liver. Very slow progression, 10 years, but eventually I got a liver transplant.
Hope this helps

Old 10-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #10
(male)

kmacdona HB User

When you did the liver/gallbladder flush along with the DEA you could have over toxified your liver. All of your symptoms are signs of liver damage. Once you have insurance try to get your primary care provider to give you a referral for a hepatoligist to check things out.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:01 AM   #11
(male)

waswell HB User

What did you do for the itching..

Closed Thread