It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
(male)

Alex664 HB User
Liver Pain

Well I've been afraid to know, but I guess I need to. My liver has been hurting lately. A dull ache and sharper pain if pressure is applied. I'm a drinker amonst other things. Any ideas? Web searches are telling me cancer or stones in the liver.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
(male)

danielm HB Userdanielm HB User
Re: Liver Pain

Considering you're a drinker, it's more likely you have a swelling of the liver, most likely caused by fatty infiltration. However, the only way to be certain is to go and see your doctor and get both a blood test and an ultrasound which should give you more information.

Cancer of the liver is actually extremely rare (accounting for only about 2 or 3% of all cancers) so I wouldn't be overly concerned about that at this stage. Liver 'pain' is mostly caused by swelling of the liver which causes the liver capsule to expand - but the causes of this happening can be attributed to many things less serious than the big C.

Stones in the liver is unlikely too. You may have gall stones in your gall bladder or billary ducts which can cause pain, but it's not really consistent like an inflamed liver. I know from personal experience as I've had both gall stones and liver inflamation. If there is a constant dull ache under the right bottom rib, it's most likely something to do with the liver.

Don't fret though because it may not actually be that serious. Go and see your doctor and tell him what your symptoms are. Get the ball rolling on tests and get yourself a diagnosis. You can look at your options from there.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
(male)

Alex664 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielm
Considering you're a drinker, it's more likely you have a swelling of the liver, most likely caused by fatty infiltration. However, the only way to be certain is to go and see your doctor and get both a blood test and an ultrasound which should give you more information.

Cancer of the liver is actually extremely rare (accounting for only about 2 or 3% of all cancers) so I wouldn't be overly concerned about that at this stage. Liver 'pain' is mostly caused by swelling of the liver which causes the liver capsule to expand - but the causes of this happening can be attributed to many things less serious than the big C.

Stones in the liver is unlikely too. You may have gall stones in your gall bladder or billary ducts which can cause pain, but it's not really consistent like an inflamed liver. I know from personal experience as I've had both gall stones and liver inflamation. If there is a constant dull ache under the right bottom rib, it's most likely something to do with the liver.

Don't fret though because it may not actually be that serious. Go and see your doctor and tell him what your symptoms are. Get the ball rolling on tests and get yourself a diagnosis. You can look at your options from there.

Best wishes.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
(male)

Alex664 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I'm not big on doctors, but I guess thier the only ones with the answers. The internet is just freaking me out. Again thankyou. Alex

Old 11-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
(female)

geri2424 HB User

last year I was 25 an had sharp pains in my liver and ribs and felt like I had the flu by the time I got to hospital they stated I was dead it acute liver failure and I had many complications infact died at least 7 times and I was in the ICU and was their for 2 months and it s not something to play with so I just wanted to let you in on thst go see the doctor the'll take care of you

Old 11-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #6
(male)

kmacdona HB User

geri2424
Quote:
I was dead it acute liver failure and I had many complications infact died at least 7 times and I was in the ICU and was their for 2 months
let me get this right. Your died at least 7 times? I would be assuming that you had a liver transplant other wise, you would be dead.

Closed Thread