It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User
High liver numbers -- What do they mean?

Hi. I have multiple health issues and am new to the liver board.

My latest blood test shows these numbers:

AST: 66 (range is 3-35)
ALT: 79 (range is 3-40)
C-Peptide: 9 (range is 0.8-3.1)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help decipher these numbers.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User
Re: High liver numbers -- What do they mean?

Anyone? Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
(male)

kmacdona HB User

The AST and ALT are liver enzymes. They can give you an indication
of liver damage, but there could be other areas of damage if they
are raised as they are not always specific just to the liver organ.

Are you experiencing any other symptoms of liver problems? Has your doctor given you a liver function test or diagnosis?

MaC

Old 10-23-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdona
The AST and ALT are liver enzymes. They can give you an indication
of liver damage, but there could be other areas of damage if they
are raised as they are not always specific just to the liver organ.

Are you experiencing any other symptoms of liver problems? Has your doctor given you a liver function test or diagnosis?

MaC
Hi. Thanks for the reply.

My endocrinologist wants me to go to my gastroenterologist about the liver. She (the endo) said I need a liver sonogram. What other liver function tests are there, and what are some of the symptoms of liver problems? Since I have multiple health issues, it's hard to tell what's causing what.

I just feel confused and overwhelmed.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:47 PM   #5
(male)

danielm HB Userdanielm HB User

Generally they start with a blood test to measure your liver enzymes (which they've already done) and if they notice abnormalities they start a process of tests which are increasingly obtrusive.

The first of these is usually the sonogram, to check for inflamation, scarring, growths etc

To get a clearer picture, they will usually progress to either a CT scan or MRI.

After this, it's usually a liver biopsy, although they don't go for this option with your levels as they are.

I currently have similar ALT/ASTs as you and I have been diagnosed with fatty liver disease.

I hope this info helps. Cheers

Old 10-23-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielm
Generally they start with a blood test to measure your liver enzymes (which they've already done) and if they notice abnormalities they start a process of tests which are increasingly obtrusive.

The first of these is usually the sonogram, to check for inflamation, scarring, growths etc

To get a clearer picture, they will usually progress to either a CT scan or MRI.

After this, it's usually a liver biopsy, although they don't go for this option with your levels as they are.

I currently have similar ALT/ASTs as you and I have been diagnosed with fatty liver disease.

I hope this info helps. Cheers
Thanks for all the info!

I'm glad to hear that my levels aren't high enough for a biopsy. I can handle a sonogram and a CT scan, but I'm claustrophobic and can't do an MRI without major sedation.

I'm going to have to Google "fatty liver disease." How are you being treated, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks, again.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
(male)

kmacdona HB User

Liver function tests consist of, besides ALT and AST,
Albumin, Alkiline Phosphatase, Bilirubin total, Cholesterol, Globulin, LDH, Protien total, GGT (Gamma Glutamyl Transferase) and probably some liver enzyme tests such as B.U.N. (Blood, Urea, Nitrogen), Uric acid and Creatinine.
The Doc may also do tests on your blood, like a CBC (Complete Blood Count) to check things in your blood, like platelets, number of red blood cells, etc.
These tests give the doctor a snap shot of how the liver is functioning. Because one is high doesn't necessarily mean any permanent damage. They have to look at the whole picture. Is one high and all the rest normal? Or, is one or two high and a few low? How often do they change? If they suspect liver damage, they will do an ultrasound or a CT scan. A CT scan gives a better picture but the ultrasound is less intrusive, costs less and shows gallstones real well. Also, gallstones can block the bile duct causing inflammation of the liver. If you have gallstones, they may want to do an MRI to see the bile duct if they can't see it with the CT scan.
Symptoms very in each individual and vary with different types of liver disease. Hepatitis C, for example can cause different symptons than alcoholic hepatitis. But some of the symptoms can be jaundice, abdominal pain on the right side under the rib cage sometimes pretruding toward the back, fatigue, itching, and spider angiomata (spider like veins on the legs or upper torso)
I know this was long, but I hope it was informative and helped a bit.
MaC

Old 10-24-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdona
Liver function tests consist of, besides ALT and AST,
Albumin, Alkiline Phosphatase, Bilirubin total, Cholesterol, Globulin, LDH, Protien total, GGT (Gamma Glutamyl Transferase) and probably some liver enzyme tests such as B.U.N. (Blood, Urea, Nitrogen), Uric acid and Creatinine.
The Doc may also do tests on your blood, like a CBC (Complete Blood Count) to check things in your blood, like platelets, number of red blood cells, etc.
These tests give the doctor a snap shot of how the liver is functioning. Because one is high doesn't necessarily mean any permanent damage. They have to look at the whole picture. Is one high and all the rest normal? Or, is one or two high and a few low? How often do they change? If they suspect liver damage, they will do an ultrasound or a CT scan. A CT scan gives a better picture but the ultrasound is less intrusive, costs less and shows gallstones real well. Also, gallstones can block the bile duct causing inflammation of the liver. If you have gallstones, they may want to do an MRI to see the bile duct if they can't see it with the CT scan.
Symptoms very in each individual and vary with different types of liver disease. Hepatitis C, for example can cause different symptons than alcoholic hepatitis. But some of the symptoms can be jaundice, abdominal pain on the right side under the rib cage sometimes pretruding toward the back, fatigue, itching, and spider angiomata (spider like veins on the legs or upper torso)
I know this was long, but I hope it was informative and helped a bit.
MaC

These were all tested and were all normal (except for my cholesterol, which has always been high). Did I mention that I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes at the same time I was told that my liver numbers were abnormal?

These were tested, too. The following were the abnormal numbers:

MCV: 79.0 (range: 80.0-100.0) Low
MCH: 26.0 (range: 27.0-33.0) Low
RDW: 16.5 (range: 11.0-15.0) High
Platelet Count: 427 (range: 140-400) High

But some of the symptoms can be jaundice, abdominal pain on the right side under the rib cage sometimes pretruding toward the back, fatigue, itching, and spider angiomata (spider like veins on the legs or upper torso)
I have some of these symptoms.

I know I'm going to have an ultrasound for sure (and maybe a CT scan). I hope they don't show anything too serious. I have the appointment with my gastroenterologist (I have stomach issues as well) on 10/31.

Thanks for all the help, advice, and great information that everyone who's reponded has given.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
(male)

danielm HB Userdanielm HB User

Quote:
I'm going to have to Google "fatty liver disease." How are you being treated, if you don't mind my asking?
Sadly, there is no medical cure for fatty liver disease.

The only treatments they know of are to loose weight, adjust your diet to be low fat and get regular exercise.

I also take Milk Thistle Supplement three times daily and B1 Supplement twice daily.

It's been 4 months since I was first diagnosed and I still have several symptoms (mostly tummy pain, tenderness under the right rib and nausea), but nothing as bad as before.

I have also changed my diet completely to a very healthy one (loads of fruit, veg and fish) and get regular exercise (10 hours walking a week) and also lost a whopping 27kgs.

My Alts have dropped down to 77 and are dropping about 10 points a month at the moment.

My only concerns now are if there's any permanent damage (scarring) and waiting for the symptoms to finally go for good.

It's a tough road when it comes to liver disease, but at least there's people here to talk with about it and it really helps get you through the tough times.

Best wishes!

Old 10-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Thanks, Daniel. Congrats on your weight loss and healthy lifestyle. I'm in the US -- What does 27 kgs translate to in pounds? I've had severe stomach issues for years, and I'm now wondering if my liver has something to do with that. I also have edema and take diuretics, but I always thought my hormonal issues were responsible for that. It's difficult figuring out what's what when one has multiple health problems.

Anyway, I have an appointment with my gastro doc, and I'm sure he'll write a prescription for the ultrasound. After that, we'll take things one step at a time. Right now, I'm trying to eat healthy meals and do some walking.

Thanks again for your support.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #11
(male)

kmacdona HB User

27 kgs is equal to 59.5 pounds.
It could be that the mulitiple health problems are all related to the liver.
Stomach issues could be gastritis. The edema could very well be caused by the liver since this is a symptom of liver damage. You may need to change to a low sodium diet if you haven't already. Cut back on fatty food (especially animal fat and butter). Take a multi vitamin high in the Vitamin B area. Try to take water soluble vitamins. These are easily handled by the liver. There is also a supplement called alpha liopic acid which is an antioxident that helps in cellular regeneration and fights off free radicals in the body. (Always consult your doctor before taking new supplements).
Keep us posted. I hope all goes well.

MaC

Last edited by kmacdona; 10-27-2006 at 07:31 PM.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:12 AM   #12
(female)

LovesTeaching HB User

Thanks, MaC.

I have every stomach issue in the book (I've been scoped -- upper and lower -- several times). I also have thyroid disease, polycystic ovaries, asthma, diabetes and an anxiety disorder. This is why it's hard to decipher which symptoms are resulting from which disorder. I thought the vomiting and nausea were due to the anxiety exacerbating my stomach issues. Now, I'm thinking they are liver issues. I guess I'll know more after the liver tests.

I'll ask about those supplements. My blood tests show I'm vitamin D deficient, so I know I'll need to start taking a number of supplements.

Thanks very much for all of your insight.

Closed Thread