HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Liver & Pancreas Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/liver-pancreas-disorders/)
-   -   Liver Damage & muscle cramps? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/liver-pancreas-disorders/457578-liver-damage-muscle-cramps.html)

Tina81980 12-28-2006 07:45 AM

Liver Damage & muscle cramps?

Hello..I'm new here & I am writing reguarding my husband. Just over 3 years ago after returning from Iraq my husband had bloodwork done at the VA, had the following results : underactive thyroid, and elevated liver enzymes. He was told that he had a fatty liver, and that was pretty much the end of that. About the same time my husband started having severe full body muscle cramps, about 3-4 times a month. This has gone on for 3 years, & the Dr.'s seemed to think it was due to activity, or his not drinking enough water. Recently he went to the Dr. due to leg spasms during sleep, he was given Med's for restless leg syndrome, and had bloodwork done. Yesterday we got the results. His liver enzymes are 4 times higher then normal, and the Dr. said the muscle cramps are most likely due to the liver, however just to be safe he is referring him to a neuro. He returns for a liver profile test in a month to see where his levels are. I did some research and found that muscle cramps are common in cirrohsis (sp?). But is it common for the muscle cramps to be severe full body cramps? Any information would be extremely helpful. Thanks.
Tina

razz123 12-28-2006 05:31 PM

Re: Liver Damage & muscle cramps?

Muscle cramps have too many possible causes to list.
In your husband's case it could just be from a change in the level of physical activity.

Your husband could have high liver enzymes from alcohol intake (his GGT should be very elevated if that is the case). This is entirely reversible.

Tina81980 12-29-2006 06:00 AM

Thanks for your response. His GGT was elevated but he hasn't drank in about 3 years. He is on med's for underactive thyroid, depression, & acid reflux. Could those raise his GGT level? The actual numbers are: ALT: 161, AST: 51, and his GGT: 144.
Thanks
Tina

razz123 12-29-2006 11:13 AM

GGT is a very non-specific indicator, it can go up for just about any reason. A very high GGT though often indicates alchol induced liver problem. 144 is not that high.

From my own experience, the liver enzymes can also go up for multiple causes only to go back down again. So I suggest a repeat check after a month.

If you are still worried, just have your husband tested for (if not already) : Hep A/B/C and get a Liver Ultrasound done. A liver Ultrasound can detect a fatty liver, gall stones etc.

One guy I used to interact with on this board found out that his liver enzymes were elevated due to dental/gum issues.

btw, I just realized that you mentioned your husband is on Meds..including the Acid Reflux ones. Of course, they can sometimes raise Liver Enzymes. I suggest you have the numbers rechecked after your husband is off meds for a while.

razz123 12-29-2006 11:20 AM

Oh and you mentioned Depression meds.

I was on Lexapro once for about a month. I got my Liver Function test for an unrelated reason and my liver enzymes were all found to be elevated.

I immediately went off Lexapro and got myself retested after about a month...the enzymes went back to normal. I have no doubts in my mind that Lexapro was the culprit.

That is not to say however, that Lexapro or other depression/anxiety meds will affect all people similarly...but this is something you definitely would want to have checked.