It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User
itchiness on hands and feet...

i don't know if this thread is appropriate here...but with what i've been reading online...i might have a liver problem. it's always at midnite to 1am that i am constantly itchy on my hands especially and a little bit on my feet. and its only at these certain times that it gets real itchy and i can't sleep...(LIKE NOW)...my fingers get all read and puffy and just real itchy. from the palms of my hands to the top part..just all over and i'm scratching like a mad woman. i don't know what it is. it's been about week now and i am going to make an appt. on monday to see what's going on. i am also starting to scratch underneath my chin and on my back...and they look like hives...but when i wake up in the morning....my skin is back to normal. anyone experience this??? any advise would help. thanks.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
(male)

danielm HB Userdanielm HB User
Re: itchiness on hands and feet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona_23 View Post
i don't know if this thread is appropriate here...but with what i've been reading online...i might have a liver problem. it's always at midnite to 1am that i am constantly itchy on my hands especially and a little bit on my feet. and its only at these certain times that it gets real itchy and i can't sleep...(LIKE NOW)...my fingers get all read and puffy and just real itchy. from the palms of my hands to the top part..just all over and i'm scratching like a mad woman. i don't know what it is. it's been about week now and i am going to make an appt. on monday to see what's going on. i am also starting to scratch underneath my chin and on my back...and they look like hives...but when i wake up in the morning....my skin is back to normal. anyone experience this??? any advise would help. thanks.
Considering the time of day it's happening, I'm more inclined to believe it might be another reason for this happening localised to your environment. Could be bed bugs, or perhaps an allergic reaction to what ever you wash your sheets in, or what they're made of... any number of things.

I was diagnosed with fatty liver about 8 months ago and get itching on the extremities, although it's pretty much an ongoing thing and not specific to any time of the day which makes me question what's going on for you.

That said, it never hurts to see a Dr and get yourself tested. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
(female)

liver99 HB User

When I had liver problems my feet itched like crazy, mostly at night because I had nothing else to distract my self with. Itching all over may be an allergic reaction to medication, new soap, new laundry detergent, new bedding, or something like hairspray, toothpaste, food, air freshener, perfume, jewlery, dry air, dryer sheets - almost anything. I would determine if you have used anything new or a different brand of something since the itching started, stop using it and see if the itching decreases. It may be something totally insignificate, but enough to cause you to itch. An easy way to decrease itching when it gets intolarable is Ice. Ice packs on the itchy area will usually calm the itch. I used to sleep with ice packs on my feet so I could get to sleep at night. I could be plain old ecezma too. I'm sure your doctor will ask about all of this, however don't assume liver problems until you have blood tests done. If those come back with a bilirubin level that is really high, that might explain the itching, but most likely you would also have other liver symptoms--fatigue, fluid in the abdomen, the whites of your eyes would be turning yellow, dark urine. Since you don't describe any of these, I would guess an allerigic reaction to something.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

thanks for the advice. i did schedule an appt this friday. i haven't been doing anything different. no new...nothing. my gf asked me the same questions. what makes me freak out is that its only my hands and feet. now i am noticing it on my chin and certain areas of my back....even my eyes seem to be itchy too. i wonder if i am allergic to something. sometimes i even feel a "tight" sensation on my forehead. i don't know what's going on with me. its 2:05am and i'm up trying to wait til this itchiness goes away before going to bed. the swelling usually goes down after 2-3 hours. i did try the ice packs...and they really helped alot. thanks for the advice. hopefully the doctor will have a solution to this problem and will run some test because i really feel like a dog with fleas at moments like this.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
(female)

liver99 HB User

I'm the ice packs worked somewhat, let us know what you Dr. says. Good Luck

Old 01-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
(male)

Yeah, I'm finding the itching to be annoying as well. I had a period over xmas where my blood levels returned to 'normal', but afterwards it seems I'm having some kind of relapse with it.

I'm getting itching, sore throats and my stools are a pale yellow again. I've got an appointment with the Dr today to check my blood levels and see what's amiss...

Dammit.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

liver99 i will let you know how things go...my appt is tomorrow. i sure do they run some tests on me...because it seems to be hitting all over my body but more on my hands and feet still. thanks for the ice pack deal. i made several bags in the fridge...and the other nite, my 11 month old daughter decided stay up with me and play with the ice packs. it was nice having company at 1am.

danielm...do tell us the status. hope everything is ok.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

doctor prescribed some benedryl and said to come back after a month to see if that helped, i told him about running some liver tests and he said we'll look into that if the itching continued. oh well....

Old 01-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
(male)

I have my bloodwork results back later today. Considering there's a decent amount of URQ discomfort ongoing, I'm fully expecting to see my liver levels raised again.

Totally sucks

Old 01-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
(male)

Well this is odd...

my report came back. ALT is 30.

Which means my liver is completely normal.

Got me scratching my head now I can tell ya

Old 01-31-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
(female)

itch help! HB User

I could have written your post! I too am itching like crazy. I'm totally fine in the day, but at night around 2-3 am I wake up w/ this awful itching in my hands mostly but also on my feet and legs at times. It's awful and I can't sleep.. I have to use ice or cold water to calm it, my hands appear slightly swollen and the only thing to bite the itch is Benedryl. come morning I am perfectly fine, and there is no sign of a rash or anything. I have an appointment w/ the doctor Friday.. but I doubt he'll do anything for me that I'm not already doing. This sucks! to make matters worse I'm already waking w/ a baby for night time feedings and I HATE to be taking meds when I'm nursing. How are you feeling???? has it gotten ANY better??? I can't imagine this going on another month or more!

my only advice to you is benedryl before you go to bed.. that's the only way I get sleep. Last night I went w/ out it hoping the itch was gone. but it was not.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
(female)

liver99 HB User
Lightbulb Re: itchiness on hands and feet...

For you those of you who itch, believe me when I say I understand. Before my transplant I itched day and night, the feet and hands the worst, for at least 8 years! I tried everything under the sun to make it stop...here is something else to try besides ice. When you sleep keep your feet sticking out from under the covers. You can also try Aquaphor Healing Ointment--not the cream--put this on your feet and mix it with cortizone cream, then put on 2 pairs of socks--it's very messy and greasy and it will stain--You can also try putting that on your feet and use gauze 4x4 pads and paper tape to cover it (takes care of the mess a bit) Sleep that way and then every morning put more on before going out for the day. It works sometimes, and not others. Sometimes I have to use ice first to kill the itching then use the ointment. As for the hands, you could try a light layer of the ointment and put on thin gloves.

Other wise there are other prescription drugs to treat itching available. Vistirl, and Rifamphin ( TB Drug but works to control itching-I don't know why)

Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #13
(female)

itch help! HB User

well the doctor gave me Prednisone. I've never taken this, I am kinda worried. He said it's ok for a nursing baby, but I still worry.

then GO figure!! last night I didn't itch! (just a little on my feet?)

not sure what I'll do now.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #14
(female)

liver99 HB User

Short term use of prednisone won't hurt you...however long term use will-it ruins your bones, gives you osteoporsis. Just make sure you follow your doctors instructions for taking this drug. Pred. will make you stop itching, and make you feel good ( not high just good) however make sure you taper the dose if your doctor has told you to do this or you can experince bone pain and other side effects. Prednisone is a good drug but a nasty one. Most problems happen when trying to get off of long term use--3-6months or longer. A low dose would be considered 5mg or less a day while a higher dose would be like 60-100 mg a day. The higher the dose the more side effects--Iv'e been on pred for 6 yrs at different doses and have osteoporsis because of it, and my vision is a little blurry sometimes, but other than that I have no side effects from this med. I think it is fairly safe. Just don't try to take it like advil--one today and one in 2 days--you have to take it consistently as prescribed or you may have problems. Don't ever quit prednisone abruptly with the doctor telling you to.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #15
(female)

Muzkmkr HB User

I agree with liver99 about the prednisone. I took it at a dose of 5mg a day for two years. I did end up with Osteoperosis (?spelling) and while I was on it I did have a problem with weight gain. When I changed doctors because of insurance, I was slowly taken off the prednisone. I am on the Rifampin now and it works like a dream. I don't quite know why it works either, since it is a TB drug that apparently hasn't been used for years, but it works. I take a low dose of 150 mg every other day. The 300mg tabs gave me stomach pain. Sometimes doctors will give you Questran also for the itching. I can sympathize with all of you who have or had itching....I have had it so bad at times that I give myself bruises I rub so hard!

P.S.
I think it is great that there is a place like this where we can exchange ideas and give support to one another. I wish I had known about this years ago! Thanks for listening.

Closed Thread