It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

NYFUSED HB User
13mm tumor + several small masses help PLEASE

Hello,
I need some help here and am scared to death. I recently went for a Thoracic MRI last Monday ordered by my orthopedic surgeon. Tuesday AM, (the next day)the surgeon called me and told me they found several tumors on my liver and they needed to speak with my PCP. So of course my PCP called and they talked and deciede I needed a cat scan w/contrast. My PCP also ordered a hepatitis blood workup along with a CBC etc...... then continued on asking me if I drank alot, had multiple sex partners, anal sex etc....... So Now I am thinking do I have hepatitis???????? I do not drink nor do I have multiple sex partners or anal sex. No IV drug use either. The MRI reports reads as follows:
There are several small masses in the liver demonstrate high signal T2 signal intensity. One In the posterior margin of the right lobe measuring 12mm. In 2002 I had a nodule, cyst or hemaginoma that measured 3mm which was to be followed up but was not done due to multiple spinal surgeries. I have been on heavy duty pain meds since 2004 plus duragesic patches and I was on pravachol for 2 years and took myself off of it due to the destruction it can do to the liver.
questions: Why would my PCP ask me these questions if hepatitis was not on his mind? Can radiologist determine hep.C just by and MRI???
IS 13mm large???? Since it has grown 4x's the size in 4 years could I assume it's is just a blood clot and if so are they serious?
I had blood work done in OCT. and all my liver functions were fine except for my cholestrol (308)
Now for the scary part..... I have been dated a man since AUGUST that had hepatitis c in 1970 and was cured. Could I have possible caught this virus from him during sex??? Am I correct in saying that the carrier always has the virus in their bodies????
I am going out of my mind and have other medical issues to deal with right now. I am ready to jump off a bridge.
I also had a staph infection in 2003 could that have any influence??? I never had a blood transfusion
Any info or advice would be greatly appreicaiated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
(female)

ladyj2 HB User
Re: 13mm tumor + several small masses help PLEASE

Hi, I know just how stressed you must be right now. I have a small tumor, only 2.6mm but when I first started going through it all I remember the fear all too well. I can tell you with finding a tumor they did all the work up on me as well. I think those are all pretty standard questions they asked you, they asked me the same. I think it is good that your liver work up is normal. I was tested for hepatitis too etc.... I would be concerned about having sex with someone who has had it....i have no clue if you can be cured or not...I would be safe and have protected sex. (try going over to a sexually transmitted disease board I'm sure if you google there is one for hepetitis...they would know) Say you got hepatitis from him, you've only been with him since August, I wonder if you could really get all those symptoms in such a short time. Your bloodwork would confirm whether or not you have it.
I have read that hemangiomas can grow and risk rupture so they need to be monitored. I had to have my MRI and CT with contrast as well, it helps greatly with diagnosis.
Good luck and let me know how you are doing.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

NYFUSED HB User

thanks for the reply. I am hoping that is's only a hemangioma.... at least it isnt't life threatening. But I have heard that they can rupture and become a problem and that is where surgery comes in to play.
My bloodwork will be back by tomorrow afternoon and I will post the results asap.
I also thought since I had this 'thing" on my liver in 2002, the hep C issue was just to rule it out as I also don't think I would have symptoms 3 months after having sexual relations.
Thanks again for the reply....... It really helps
LA

Old 02-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

NYFUSED HB User

ok, blood came back fine for hep. My rbc, hct are all low. Went for cat scan w/contrast and they can't determine what it is but is is not a cyst. PCP is sending me to a hepatologist. Also found a nodule on my right lobe lung so going to a lung speciaist. Today since this moring I have had this light pain in the middle of my breastbone, right where a hiatial hernia would be. It has been going on all day and that is what made me post my results. I know the liver runs through that area and now of course I am thinking the worse. Any feedback from anyone would be nice.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
(male)

danielm HB Userdanielm HB User

Howdy there.

Best thing I can say is that you should calm down!

I've been where you are now. About 12 months back I went to see a doctor after several weeks of tummy upsets and URQ pain. After several scans they located some deposits on my liver which later turned out to be fatty deposits.

I was tested for all strains of Hepatitus as my liver was inflamed, but at the end of the day it was merely fatty liver, non alcoholic that was the cause.

The good news my doctors told me was that they can tell pretty easily from just a CAT scan the difference between a simple tumor/fatty deposit and something more. So if they're already seen it and not drawn a conclusion down that path, you're gonna be okay.

I went through the same line of questioning you did too. I've only had one partner for the last decade, no blood transfusions etc. I was cleared for all strains of Hep A through D although I was told by my doc that there are strains beyond that which simple blood tests don't detect - and the most common way of getting that is through contaminated food!

Needless to say I very rarely (if ever) eat out now as a result.

But the good news is, both my fatty liver and my Hep are in remission and I'm doing well.

It's scary as hell and for months there on end I went through hell as my liver struggled, but rest assured, you'll be okay in the end.

The most important thing you can do is stay calm and positive and make sure you're in regular contact with your doctors for what the latest news is. I went through many tests myself (Endoscopy, Bloodwork, Xrays, Cat Scans (tummy, cholangeogram and head ct) - you name it - and I was constantly afraid through the whole thing. It's only natural to feel that way and you'll constantly search for that reassurance. It took my doctors basically 3 months to clear me of everything else before concluding it was just basically a really bad case of fatty liver causing my problems, which kinda sucks when you're a person that doesn't drink and is in a stable relationship. It was just a lack of exercise and a crap diet for years...

But if it's of any consequence, if you had something serious, they almost always pick it up real quick when it comes to liver. Just take things as they come...

Old 02-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

NYFUSED HB User

Hi, Thanks for the reply.
This is where the problem is. The thoracis spine MRI w/o contrast (done in NYC) showed several masses in the liver and the cat scan with contrast and that yummy drink (DONE LOCALLY IN SI, NY) of the liver showed only 2 masses. They are not cysts or hemangiomas so what is left?? The radiolgy report said they could not define what type of masses they were. My pcp said to see a hepatologist and get an MRI with contrast of the liver and lung and see a lung speciaist for the nodule that was found. Also I have to write that the MRI was done in NYC at one of the best Imagining centers in the US and the cat scan was done locally............
Meanwhile, why the heck doesn't he just order the MRI himself so I would have it in my hand when I went for my consult??? Doctors...I just don't understand them today.
I have had 2 yeas of severe constipation that I blame on my pain medication. I also just recently just started to have upper left quandrant pain while moving my bowels. It is a piercing pain that I have the arch my back straight up to get some relief. I have lost alot of weight in the last year but blame that on stress as I am going through a nasty divorce ( caught husband cheating). I am actually very calm now cause my wbc are normal and if it was cancer they would be high.
Saw liver disease dr. yesterday 2/13/2007... got rx for MRI w/ contrast and blood test called alpha fetoprotein level. Mri is scheduled for next Thursday and since we are having an ice storm here in New York, I will go tomorrow to get the blood tumor marker test done. Has anyone had this blood test done on a routine basis for liver disease?? Or do u think the dr feels I have a cancererous growth?
Thanks
Lori

Last edited by NYFUSED; 02-14-2007 at 06:38 AM. Reason: add information

Closed Thread