It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

adam2000 HB User
Slightly Elevated ALT and others HELP

Hi all,

I had recent blood work done, I meet my doctor in a week to g o over them. I had a copy sent to me as usual for my records. Right now Im about 50lbs overweight (5'11 240 lbs) - my cholesteral is about 250, trig - 260, good chol 38. I have slightly elevated serum protein, albumin (just a fraction above the upper limit, literally a .1). I also noticed my ALT was 65 (upper limit said 60) while AST is much lower and within range. CRP 4.1, which was high. I know Im in poor physical health right now, lacking exercise and what not which I plan to reverse.

Can anyone tell me, would the most likely cause of elevated ALT be due to being overweight? Im concerned about my health and am taking steps to reverse the problems but was curious if my liver was damaged?

Thanks
Adam

"An obstacle is just a stepping stone"

Old 02-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
(male)

danielm HB Userdanielm HB User
Talking Re: Slightly Elevated ALT and others HELP

Absolutely.

Fatty Liver disease is so common that 1 in 5 adults get it at some point in their lives.

I know, because I've had it myself. I don't drink and there's no history of liver disease in my family. However, I was overweight and had a high fat diet for several years which lead to my liver almost failing me completely.

Fatty infiltration of the liver will have much the same effect as an alcoholic has on their liver after years of abuse, it's just more commonly associated with alcoholic consumption.

The good news is, fatty liver can be reversed with a healthy diet and good exercise.

That's what I had to do. I went on a zero fat and zero sugar diet for a period of 6 months with regular exercise. I lost the excess weight (approx 60lbs) and my liver had the chance to expell the fatty buildup. I went through hell to get there mind you, but left unchecked - it can eventually kill you.

I was diagnosed last June and even still now I get the odd twitch in the tummy and itchyness, but otherwise I'm back to normal. My liver levels declined back down to normal levels (My ALT atm is back at 30) and I feel much much better.

Apart from diet and exercise, there's no medical cure for Fatty infiltration of the liver. However, I strongly recommend you start to regularly take Milk Thistle supplement if you can. It's a natural remedy that's been used for thousands of years in the treatment of Liver disease and I can say first hand it definitely helped me. I used to get bloodwork monthly to monitor my condition and half way through I started taking the milk thistle and even my doctors was surprised at the difference it made. My ALts were dropping at nearly twice the rate they were previously simply because I started taking Milk Thistle three times daily to a point where my liver levels are actually below the upper level of perfectly healthy (in other words, my liver is now in great condition!).

I hope the information helps.

As with all things, discuss it with your doctor first, but it's always nice to know other people have gone through what you've gone through and that you can and WILL get through it as long as you do the right thing.

Cheers and best wishes!

Last edited by danielm; 02-06-2007 at 08:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

adam2000 HB User
Re: Slightly Elevated ALT and others HELP

Thanks for the info! Looks like i have alot of work ahead of me. I saw you mention itchyness...I regularly get episodes of hive like rash for no reason, which goes away by itself shortly therafter or if i take claritin. the allergist couldnt find any allergies, is this caused by my liver as well?

Thanks again ,
Adam

"An obstacle is just a stepping stone"

Old 04-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
(female)

LovelyOne HB User

I had a rash too that was caused by either medication allergy or my liver alt being elevated.

danielm....what was your daily meals like when you did the O fat, O sugar diet? And how often did you exercise because I myself need to lose about 80 lbs :\

Old 04-03-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
(female)

bkerber HB User

I just wanted to add my experience to this thread. My liver enzymes became elevated the last of 2005. I was sent for an ultrasound and it showed fatty liver. My dr would always ask if I drank, which I rarely do. I weighed 160 and Im 5'3". I had a CT scan done and it confirmed fatty liver. I had another CT scan done in 6 months and it showed the same. My liver enzymes got higher and dr. wanted to do a liver biopsy and I said no. Anyhoo, Jan 1 I decided Im tired of being sick at 52, so I started walking 6 days a week for 1/2 hr at a time. I also stopped eating deserts or any kind of sweet snack. I didnt completely stop sugar and I really didnt modify my diet other than stopped going to fast food restaurants. I have lost to date 16 pounds and today I got the results of my 3rd CT scan and there is no mention of fatty liver anywhere in the report. I get my blood test results on Thursday and Im hoping that the enzyme level will be down as well. It wasnt that hard and seems to have had a big impact. I wish you luck.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
(female)

pyewacket HB User

hi, my recent gall bladder surgury on feb. 20,,had blood work at 5 weeks,,my alt was 97,,dr. said probably fatty liver, well on jan. 24..my blood work levels were all normal, is it possible to develop fatty liver in 5 weeks?
thanks,,

Old 04-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
(male)

danielm HB Userdanielm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyOne View Post
I had a rash too that was caused by either medication allergy or my liver alt being elevated.

danielm....what was your daily meals like when you did the O fat, O sugar diet? And how often did you exercise because I myself need to lose about 80 lbs :\
Breakky usually consists of toast with Vegemite (I'm Australian, we love that stuff over here and the Vitamin B content in Vegemite is really high!). No butter or marg. A cup of tea.

Lunch is usually salad or a couple pieces of grain bread with a tin of tuna (plain).

Dinner is usually a piece of meat (fish/chicken breast of lean beef) with either plain rice or boiled vegetables.

I also drink a lot of water to flush the system, or green tea.

Combined with the walking, you lose weight quickly but don't feel hungry.

For snacking in between I have fruit and nuts.

Hope the info helps.

Cheers

Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #8
(male)

EdwardB HB User

Daneilm,

It sounds exactly what i am going through currently. ALT level is 72 when it should be below 40. I have been burping and feeling really run down. Nothing in my diet has changed apart from an increase in my consumption of Iced Coffee - the flavoured milk variety. When i looked at the sugar and fat content of the stuff i was drinking i almost fell over.

I have been under a great deal of pressure lately and the stress levels have been pretty bad, so i would take great solace in downing my iced coffee at work and i woould have 2 x 600ml containers a day. I have switched to the low fat light variety, but they seem even worse. Half the fat but twice the sugar. Labels are just so misleading on food containers.

I have vowed to get into an excercise regime. Probably only 30 minutes a day to start, but i really need to start somewhere. I have let work rule my life and now my health is paying the price. I had my gallbladder out 3.5 years ago and felt SO much better after its removal but i think fatty liver is my problem. The thing is is eat a very lean diet normally - its just the last 18 months that i have been drinking iced coffee and i can't believe what it has done to me.

Do you know what your liver function test results were like.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:11 AM   #9
(male)

abatra_75 HB User

Guys,

Thanks a lot for the helpful info. Here is my story :

Say about 2 months ago, i discovered mild pain in the lower ride of the stomach. First 2-3 days i did some home remedy but at last i went to hospital. Gastro doc did all the blood test and found a) Bacteria infection H. Pylori b) Slightly elevated ALT 58 ( max upper limit for that lab was 51 ).

For H Pylori they gave me anti biotic and for ALT reducing they suggested diet change and exercise. While taking antibiotics - there was no pain in the stomach and after 1 month i went to doc again to chk my liver enzymes - this time ALT was normal.

But again since last one month, i am having pain at the same loctaion, pain is very mild. I went to ER and again they found my ALT was slighty high. My other symptoms are like - feeling weak, sometimes very weak ( may be coz of my diet change - i left all the sugar, fat and strictkly on home made "good" food ), eye pain, lack of energy, fatigue, restless, low body temp ( 97 degree Fraunheights ) but sometimes i feel okay with good strength. These things making me crazy.

Abouth this ALT enzimes, can i take Milk Thistle If yes, from where can i get this and how much tabs. Thanks in advance guys. Pls help me. I am really worried about this weakness episodes and slightly elevated ALT.

Regards

Last edited by moderator2; 04-15-2007 at 10:54 AM. Reason: posted contact info

Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
(female)

redcdg HB User

i would get a scan and blood work to rule out pbc????

Closed Thread