It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 06:35 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User
Moderate Drinking and Liver health ?- Please help!

HI all - I have a question about alcohol consumption and liver health. All my brothers drink, most to excess, I think. Last October, one of my brothers died of alcohol poisoning after a long battle with alcoholism. My youngest brother was terrified after our brother passed away, and went to get a liver panel done. All his results were normal, I actually asked to see the report from the doc and it's true, but he had been drinking heavily (I would say heavily - meaning 3-4 drinks a night) for the past 20 years.

Anyway, he is visiting us this month and having one drink or beer a night with my husband when they come in from doing that last round of farm chores. He says he never drinks more than one a night now. My question is, after all those years of (in my opinion) heavy drinking, is it safe for him, healthwise, to continue drinking at all, even if it is just one a night? He assures me that the doctor told him that one drink a night, esp. if it is red wine, is healthier than not drinking at all. I guess I lived through so much lying and hiding stuff with my alcoholic dad and brother I am having a hard time believing that this is true.

Does anyone have any input on the matter? I have read about those studies that a little bit of red wine (like 5 oz. or less a day) is healthy for you, but the reports I read don't say anything about people who formerly drank to excess. Some reports mention that this is not applicable for people who can't stop at one glass or have liver disease, but I can't find any specific mention of someone like my brother.

I would appreciate any information or opinions or experience that anyone has on "reforming" drinking habits.

Thanks so much! Marirose

Last edited by Marirose; 03-22-2007 at 06:37 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User
Re: Moderate Drinking and Liver health ?- Please help!

I know someone who's a heavy drink for many years and has normal liver panel numbers. Why? Each morning he takes vitamin/mineral supplement ALIVE plus a Liver Formula (Milk Thistle, dandelion root, burdock root, parsley root, picroliv, black radish, N-acetyl cysteine, TMG & alpha lipoic acid). I also take this formula for liver protection. He also takes 400mg before breakfast of SAMe. Most heavy drinkers do little for their health but this person does. Another product to consider is Liv52. A low fat diet is also very helpful.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

Hey Mike - thanks for the information. As far as I know, my brother is not taking any suppliments. Do you mind if I ask how much this person is drinking? and for how long? Thanks again, Marirose

Old 03-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

This person is a single older male (67) who drinks every night a pint of Vodka with seltzer and a little Pomegrante juice and has been doing this for a long time possibly seven years since he retired. He's a former coworker who I have stayed in contact with. Prior to retirement he drank for many years but not as much and not every night but for a very long time. Is extremely knowlegable about supplements and has been taking them for over 25 years and takes a lot in addition to ALIVE. Also does a mild liver flush a week out of every month. All of this is very unusual for a heavy drinker. This person has never been sick and has never taken medication. Heavy drinkers have little knowledge about Supplements, Diet & Nutrition but this person does. Also takes a very powerful Probiotic every day for the digestive system. Although 67 he looks more like 57 and walks at least 5 miles every day. Has a very healthy appearance. Has each morning for breakfast Greek Yogurt with Fruit and Green Tea or a Health Brand Cereal with Almond Milk. This is one very smart heavy drinker who has not destroyed his health.

Last edited by Mike In NY; 03-22-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:14 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Marirose HB User

Hi Mike- thanks again for the info. Sounds like your friend is an extraordinary person! Good luck to him and to you for taking the time to answer. Any more info. you have on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone else with an opinion on reducing drinking and liver health?

Thanks, Marirose

Old 06-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
(male)

hardofbreathing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike In NY View Post
I know someone who's a heavy drink for many years and has normal liver panel numbers. Why? Each morning he takes vitamin/mineral supplement ALIVE plus a Liver Formula (Milk Thistle, dandelion root, burdock root, parsley root, picroliv, black radish, N-acetyl cysteine, TMG & alpha lipoic acid). I also take this formula for liver protection. He also takes 400mg before breakfast of SAMe. Most heavy drinkers do little for their health but this person does. Another product to consider is Liv52. A low fat diet is also very helpful.

Just because this person has drank for many years and hasn't had any side effects yet means nothing. Some people never have any. To suggest that one can continue to be a raging alcoholic and not worry about any effects on the liver if they take supplements and stick to a low fat diet is asinine, at best. The best thing one can do for their liver is NOT DRINK.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:28 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Mike In NY HB User

Of course Abstince is best when it comes to drinking, smoking and drugs. However, it's easier said then done. Those who are engaged in unhealthy addictions know that it's not healthy but should at least take some precautions like annual blood test, CT Lung Scan and CT Heart Scan. Most don't. When they develop a serious health issue it's usually too late like a smoker who's spitting up blood. The individual that I mentioned is single so at least his drinking is not affecting someone else's life. Since he dosen't want to stop drinking at least he's doing what he can to minimize liver damage and goes for a blood test every six months. At 67 he certainly can't die young. I certainly don't support his drinking but I can't make him stop.. What I find disturbing is that I've known many over the years who died at very young ages from liver disease and lung cancer who never smoked or drank and lived very healthy lifestyle.

Last edited by Mike In NY; 06-07-2007 at 05:42 AM. Reason: added additional information

Old 06-08-2007, 06:40 AM   #8
(female)

1BadLiver HB User

Hi there! I explained my liver problems in my post so won't bore with any more of those details but will say this.. Like Mike said, there are people who never smoke and die of lung cancer, never drank, and die of liver disease. We all know smoking and drinking is unhealthy, lets face it. A small glass of red wine has been shown to be good for the heart. My mother is not an alcoholic, by any means, but when she ocasionally buys a bottle of Merlot.. she doesn't stop at one 8 oz glass! BUT.. she's 77 and hasn't any liver issues.

If there is a family history, drinking may affect your brother's liver down the road. He just may have "dodged" the bullet. But alcohol isn't good for you.. we know that. Abstinence is best, (I can't even have a small glass of wine, or a so called "near beer" which does have a tiny bit of alcohol in it.)

I wasn't a "heavy" drinker all my life, and was probably destined to have liver disease anyway because of my chronic hep B, but I suffer at the age of 46 because of alcohol. As they say.. wish I knew then what I know now.

Good luck with your brother and share the info about the supplements Mike mentioned.

Sandy

Old 06-10-2007, 06:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Quote:
(I would say heavily - meaning 3-4 drinks a night) for the past 20 years.
I would not consider this "heavy drinking" for a man, in fact there are studies that show this very level is VERY cardioprotective. Doctors don't like to recommend this because there are some who will soon be at 13 or 14 drinks a night.

<Of couse, this depends on the proper definition of a "drink" as a can of beer, a 5 ounce glass of wine, a shot (1.5 ounce) of 80 proof hootch, or 1/2 a martini!>

Alcohol IS good for us...it's just that it's horribly addictive and can kill in excess. Moderate drinkers live longer than teetotallers.

Closed Thread