It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
(male)

MidlineNotFine HB User
Fatty Infiltration of Liver?

I'm new to this section. Thank you in advance for your time!

I suffer from midline abdominal pain (chronic and breakthrough). Therefore I have had a decent amount of work-ups: Ultrasounds, Blood (maybe gallons at this point!), MRCP's, Endoscopies and a CT scan. Btw - I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago ... unfortunately the pain didn't go away even though they found a 2.5 cm stone and said my GB was elongated (GB problems run in my family even though I'm a male of normal weight in my 30's). The CT Scan found "fatty infiltration of the liver" and a slightly dialated common bile duct.

I have had some post-op gallbladder removal issues (which seems common based on many posts) but this is the first time I have gotten a report of "fatty infiltration" of the liver. Can anyone explain what this might mean?

For meds, if it's pertinent, I take Ambien CR nightly (for sleep disorder - ok'd by doctors for nightly use), 0.5 Xanax before lunch (for post GB surgery digestive issues - it works for whatever reason) and I am on a combination of Vicodin (5/500 - usually 2-3 per day) and just started Neurontin (about to go up to 600 mg/d) for pain. Don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd include just in case.

Thanks everyone!

The following user gives a hug of support to MidlineNotFine:
ttoregontrail (05-18-2011)
Old 05-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #2
(female)

Martie06 HB User
Re: Fatty Infiltration of Liver?

I just had an ultra - sound done recently and was told that I needed to have a ct scan because I either have a fatty liver, or something else that the nurse wouldn't talk about. Well, I went online to research, I think I will take the diagnosis of a fatty liver According to my research a fatty liver is a pretty common thing. It can cause problems in some people. In my case the nurse said that if it is fatty liver, a special diet would be in order. She wouldn't discuss anything until all the results were in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2007, 06:15 AM   #3
(female)

cyt HB User

Hi - when you mentioned sleep disorder a red flag went up. I have been researching the liver since our son had elevated liver enzymes and an ultra sound done, but so far no results yet. Anyway, when I was ******ing problems about the liver I did read about sleep apnea and liver problems. You might try ******ing that. Good Luck! C

Old 05-29-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
(female)

Sisty HB User

I also suffer from upper stomach pain a little to the right and out my back for 6 months. I have had ultrasounds, CT, endoscopy, colonoscopy, small bowel series, spinal xrays, HIDA scan. All normal except the ultrasound of the liver showed fatty liver. I was told it was common to stop any alcohol and it will go away. I was also told I had IBS !! I was concerned about my pancreas because of the pain. How long have you had your pain? Does it go to your back?

I was put on Zoloft, Xanax ( stress!!??) Librax and Nexium for stomach burning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlineNotFine View Post
I'm new to this section. Thank you in advance for your time!

I suffer from midline abdominal pain (chronic and breakthrough). Therefore I have had a decent amount of work-ups: Ultrasounds, Blood (maybe gallons at this point!), MRCP's, Endoscopies and a CT scan. Btw - I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago ... unfortunately the pain didn't go away even though they found a 2.5 cm stone and said my GB was elongated (GB problems run in my family even though I'm a male of normal weight in my 30's). The CT Scan found "fatty infiltration of the liver" and a slightly dialated common bile duct.

I have had some post-op gallbladder removal issues (which seems common based on many posts) but this is the first time I have gotten a report of "fatty infiltration" of the liver. Can anyone explain what this might mean?

For meds, if it's pertinent, I take Ambien CR nightly (for sleep disorder - ok'd by doctors for nightly use), 0.5 Xanax before lunch (for post GB surgery digestive issues - it works for whatever reason) and I am on a combination of Vicodin (5/500 - usually 2-3 per day) and just started Neurontin (about to go up to 600 mg/d) for pain. Don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd include just in case.

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-11-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
(female)

LovelyOne HB User

I was diagnosed with fatty infiltration of the liver aka fatty liver. I am going to my dr's today but as far as my research online goes there is no definate cause of fatty liver, usually it causes no harm, weight loss seems to help and not drinking. It may turn into cirrhosis if there is something else going on in the body that can harm the liver like...bacterial infections, hormonal abnormalities or an accumulation of excess iron in the liver.

That's all I have really gathered about it so far. I so far, do not really have right sided pain in the back i have pain inbtwn the shoulder blades and under my right breast (from my gallstones i guess).

Old 06-18-2007, 03:08 AM   #6
(female)

jmarple HB Userjmarple HB User

I have had fatty liver for several years. They do not really know what causes it but they are researching it. There are several ideas. It can be fairly serious. There is no known treatment but it can lead to cirrhosis of the liver. Then the only cure is a liver transplant. So alcohol is definitely out if you have a fatty liver. Alcohol makes it worse, but stopping alcohol will not make it go away.
The most immediate problem is the pain associated with fatty liver, the elevated liver function numbers that eventually show up, and many people have high tryglycerides and blood sugars. I think IBS is also part of it because your liver is not working right. So you eat a little fat, bile is needed to digest the fat, the liver is slow to respond with bile and the fat goes right through you. I swear it can happen in only 30 minutes from when you eat something with fat in it. Here are some solutions to these problems that worked for me.
1-Squeeze the juice from one lemon and drink it down. This really does work. Your liver may be full of sludgy bile. Lemon juice is a known bile thinner. It can loosen things up and allow your liver and gall bladder to clean itself out. Be sure to brush your teeth afterwards because the lemon juice will destroy your enamel.
2-Take cranberry pills. I don't know why this works but it does. Came across it by accident. Buy cranberry pills whose main ingredient is powdered cranberry juice. The fewer other ingredients- the better. Take one or two if the pain is mild. If it is unbearable, you can take 3 or 4. It won't hurt you and it will make an dramatic difference. Maybe the acid in the cranberry helps to dissolve stuff much like the lemon juice does. My brother had high liver function numbers and a fatty liver. He decided to take cranberry pills and his liver function numbers went way down and the pain disappeared. Cranberry pills seemed to improve my IBS symptoms and make me more regular.
3-Fast 1 or 2 meals once a week. Fasting is a known liver cleanse.
4-Take 1 Tbs. of Udo Oil (Bought this at the local health food store) or Olive Oil every day. More if you can stand it. Your liver needs oil to work propertly. These types of oils seem to lubricate things and get things moving.
5-Do a Liver Cleanse- If you want something more drastic, do a liver cleanse. You can buy one at the health food store or look on the internet for one that sounds good. I found one on the internet. I drank down some awful mixture of epsom salt, grapefruit juice, olive oil, etc. I was sick for two days, but the right abdominal pain was better afterwards. I have never done it again. It was miserable. I would rather do little things every day to keep my liver cleaned out and not be so sick.
6-Take low doses of ibuprofen after you have done a liver cleanse. If you liver is inflammed, this can help. Ibuprofen is an antiinflammatory. Don't take too much and don't take it too long.
7- Drink apple juice. When your gall bladder and liver start to clean out, it will dump bile in our stomach and you may have an upset stomach. Antacids will help with the stomach acid part but bile is something else. Apple juice seems to neutralize the bile. It will settle your stomach if bile is the problem.
8-Early intervention with Glucophage/Metaformin. I recently went on Glucophage because my blood sugars were just a bit too high. Nice side benefit- my liver function numbers got better, my tryglycerides went down, and my liver rarely hurts. I wish I had started this years ago. It took my doctor a few years to talk me into it. I feel like it is helping the fatty liver problem.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by jmarple; 06-18-2007 at 03:09 AM.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #7
(female)

reelbunny HB User
Smile Re: Fatty Infiltration of Liver?

Well I was, just a few weeks ago, diagnosed with a fatty liver too, which I thought was odd since I haven't had an alcoholic drink in almost 4 years! I am almost 40, a female, a bit overweight and I do exercise but I found out I need to lose a little more than I thought (about 30 pounds!) This whole thing started with a couple "attacks" that I and my doctor also thought might be gallbladder attacks (sharp pain from my right lower rib that shot upwards to my collarbone) The ultrasound showed otherwise though. She put me on a lowfat diet and I doubled my exercise time. BUT--no matter what I ate, even if it had a miniscule amount of fat in it, (most stuff I eat now is low fat or fat free!) I still had a dull sensation, not even really a pain, in my side. It was more annoying than painful really. I am so relieved to see this message board and relieved that a lot of other people have it, because I admit, when I first heard something was wrong with my liver that FREAKED me out a LOT! I saw a lot of references to an herbal treatment called milk thistle so I thought even though it seemed a little flaky, I'd try it. I bought some yesterday, took 2 capsules then and 2 today, and I am absolutely amazed. The annoying sideache/sensation is GONE. I bought a bottle of 'em for about $16- but then, I also wonder if I just now am starting to feel better since I cut out all the JUNK I was eating (I've been on the lowfat diet for about 3 weeks now) But I'm still taking those milk thistle pills for a while, not taking any chances on the annoying side thing coming back. Anyway, I'd recommend those things to anyone experiencing this weird illness. They worked really well.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
(female)

creinha HB User

This is my first post on the liver board. I too was having problems my doctor thought might be gallbladder - pain under the right rib. The ultrasound was normal except for the fatty liver. I have a question for the women on this topic. I also have swelling some times on the right side under my armpit. Right where my bra goes around my torso. I feel like my bra just doesn't fit. Do any of you experience this as well?

Old 06-28-2007, 04:50 PM   #9
(female)

reelbunny HB User

I haven't had that experience--I'd recommend asking your doctor about that swelling under the armpit, it might be something totally unrelated, I don't know. I wanted to ask you, do you from time to time, even if you've changed your diet like I did, still have some little pains/pangs in your side? I still get them and I've been eating VERY healthy stuff for 3 weeks. They are only sporadic now and not severe, but they still happen. Just curious what other people say, because even on the American Liver Foundation website it claims there are NO symptoms of this and I dont' agree.
Thanks!

Old 06-29-2007, 05:10 AM   #10
(female)

creinha HB User

Reelbunny,

I have a dull ache that tends to come and go. I've never been able to pin point what causes it. It doesn't seem to be related to food or strenuous activity. Sometimes it's more uncomfortable than other times, but I would never classify it as severe pain.

Sometimes, it seems that when I'm on prednisone and an increased dosage of my anti-inflammatory is when I notice it more. If it was gastritis, it wouldn't be that far to the right side. Correct?

My doctor said she would refer me to a gastroenterologist, but because it isn't severe pain, I feel like I'm whining. Stupid, I know.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:37 AM   #11
(female)

reelbunny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by creinha View Post
Reelbunny,

I have a dull ache that tends to come and go. I've never been able to pin point what causes it. It doesn't seem to be related to food or strenuous activity. Sometimes it's more uncomfortable than other times, but I would never classify it as severe pain.

Sometimes, it seems that when I'm on prednisone and an increased dosage of my anti-inflammatory is when I notice it more. If it was gastritis, it wouldn't be that far to the right side. Correct?

My doctor said she would refer me to a gastroenterologist, but because it isn't severe pain, I feel like I'm whining. Stupid, I know.
creinha:
I'd think that gastritis would be more in the middle, but who knows? It seems the digestive system is a lot more complicated than I thought. Mine seems to be food related, and I had some pretty bad pains in the side last night but i think I accidentally ate something very high in fat. I had a Caesar salad and I found out that particular dressing is VERY full of fat grams. But I ate out with a friend and had no idea what to order (we were at a pizza parlor, probably would have been better off just to have some pizza!) Mine isn't usually severe pain either but I disagree-we're not whining! It's just so annoying to have that weird sensation in the side.
-reelbunny

Old 06-29-2007, 08:22 AM   #12
(female)

creinha HB User

Reelbunny,

Let me know if you make any progress. I have another appointment with my doctor in about 4 weeks. Maybe I'll get a referral then.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
(female)

jmarple HB Userjmarple HB User

Creinha,
Right abdominal pain is a common symptom with fatty liver- no matter what the American Liver Association says. I've had it for years and the pain is always there. Edema or water retention and abdominal swelling also goes with a liver that doesn't work right. Maybe that is what is going on on your right side. Maybe you are retaining water everywhere but noticing it more on your right side. Sounds like a good idea to talk to get a referral and ask about it. Ask for a gastro. that specializes in liver diseases. Might ask the gastro. about the medications you are on. They might be hard on your liver. Prednisone has a direct involvement in the liver and there is some research out there that non steroid anti inflammatory drugs cause liver damage. Maybe both drugs together are causing your liver some pain and swelling. You might try cutting back for half a day and see what happens to the pain. Also try some of the home remedies listed on this web page and see if the pain goes away. Try milk thistle pills, cranberry pills, lemon juice, apple juice and drink lots of water. It couldn't hurt. Good Luck.
CH

Last edited by jmarple; 06-29-2007 at 11:28 PM.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #14
(female)

creinha HB User

Thanks JMarple. I think you are right on the money, especially since I notice it's worse when I'm on the prednisone and high dose anti-inflammatories. I bought some Milk Thistle last night. I figured it couldn't hurt any. I'll also read the home remedies too.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #15
(female)

reelbunny HB User

creinha-
I have noticed some progress--the more I exercise, the better I feel. I have been drinking a LOT of water, too, though, and taking milk thistle pills (2 or 3 a day). There's been a lot less of that annoying pang in the side, in fact, a lot of the time it has virtually disappeared (especially if it's a day I exercise, so now I try to exercise 4-5 days a week). I hope you are feeling better day by day too and let me know what you find out at the doctor in a few weeks, I'm curious! Also I wanted to ask you if you have any back pain in the right side (like you feel like you need to crack it or something?) I still have that a little bit but it also seems to be a little better.
Later,
reelbunny

Closed Thread