It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
(female)

LovelyOne HB User
Rash, Type 2 diabetic, high cholesterol, im only 26 :( please help

I've had a rash (hives) on my entire body for maybe a week now, went to ER the dr said it was due to medication w/out even an examination. I go into my regular medical clinic and the dr saw my rash and asked about my liver, I was shocked because the ONLY time I've ever been asked about my liver was when I was 19 because a test I had took came back high and the dr told me I had the liver of a chronic drunk. I went for a second opinion and my liver was fine. So when I went into the dr's office today and she had asked me about my liver I was shocked and she said that in 2002-2004 some type of liver test was good because it was only 62 both times. Flash forward to March 15th when I got some more blood work done and she tells me some test is elevated to 168 (don't know the test name). She said it's high and had mentioned something about fatty liver maybe being a cause. SOO my symptoms have been pretty much chest wall pain, short of breath, elevated blood sugar levels, dehydration, rash, palpitations, swelling in ankles, and elevated cholesterol Could this just be a multitude of things causing these symptoms? Is this related to the elevated liver and cholesterol? What test is she talking about that has elevated to 168?

Background info/facts

Type 2 diabetic
have had 2 kidney infections
chronic bladder infections
yeast infection prone
former smoker (quit for 4 years started up 2 years, quit 2 weeks ago)
def NOT a drinker (1 alcoholic beverage a year)
low carb dieter
not a big meat eater
do not exercise at all heh so im sedetery 90% of the day
have had 1 abnormal ekg never found cause for it
hair loss
hypertension
obesity
had jaundice as a child
one surgery in my life
I DOUBT it's hepatitis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
(male)

danielm HB Userdanielm HB User
Re: Rash, Type 2 diabetic, high cholesterol, im only 26 :( please help

168 is most likely your ALTs hun. It's a level they test in the blood for release of enzymes from the liver. Basically when your liver is distressed, it releases certain chemicals into the bloodstream and this is what they test with bloodwork. I'd hazzard a guess and say you have an ALT of 168 which is definitely on the high side (normal is 0-40) but not so bad that they'd be panicing.

This symptom unto itself indicates the liver is in distress, but not what would be causing it.

The other symptoms (like the hives and swelling at the ankles) can also be related to liver issues, but without the whole picture you'd be clutching at straws.

In other words, whilst the liver alone can cause those symptoms, something else can also cause your liver to get upset as well. It might be something like Hepatitus A (which isn't as bad as C - you get it like food poisoning and NOT through sexual contact) which will have an impact on your liver too. Maybe it's an auto-immune virus?

The rest of the symptoms you describe wouldn't really have me looking at the liver as the primary cause, but rather a side effect of something else.

Because you don't exercise, I could also throw an option out there that you might have fatty liver - which is actually similar to the same thing alcoholics get, but caused by different actions. Depends on your weight and diet as well. I had this disease and it made me very, VERY sick....

I think at this stage you need to let the doctors run some further tests and see if they can narrow down what's going on. Blood tests, ultrasounds and if needed a CT scan could certainly reveal a lot if it's your liver having issues and this is the path I'd recommend, because at the end of the day, we'd all simply be speculating here when what you really need is definitive proof.

Stay calm hun and make sure you follow this up with the doctors and get the tests rolling. Work with your doctors and ensure they do what they need to put your mind at ease.

In the meantime, if your ALTs are what's sitting at 168, I can recommend a low fat diet, regular exercise and start taking Milk Thistle will all help get your liver levels back under control.

Best wishes hun and be sure to let us know how you get on with the doctors, okay?

Old 03-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
(female)

zetah HB User

Hello Lovelyone,

I am so sorry to hear that you are having a problem. I just wanted to add that all labs have different ranges that they use. For example regarding normal ranges for the Alkaline Phosphate blood test some labs are 0-122, some are 0-90, and some are 0-40.

I would really think that it is your Alk Phos that is high because that is what shows if the liver is releasing enzymes into your liver. The ALT is testing you for a liver disease. Like infected with Hep C or Fatty liver deposits in the liver. Those are the two things that really raises Alanine aminotransferase (ALT). Most doctors test the Alk Phos before they start testing ALT & AST.

You really need to call your doctor to ask what test was elevated and you should always try to get a copy of your labs for your files. It will show everything that they did as far as the lab work and the normal ranges that your lab uses.

Please keep us updated and hope this helps.

((((Hugs)))))))

Old 03-28-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
(female)

LovelyOne HB User

I can give them a call tomorrow and ask what test this was that was high. I do know they did a cbc on me and a cholesterol test, along with random urine test since i'm dropping small amounts of ketones and they don't know why. I guess it's just frustrating because I've had these symptoms for SO LONG....anyways they did another blood test while I was there and the dr told me i'd have to do an ultrasound most likely to see what my liver looks like. Is it possible that maybe my UTI is causing this? OR SOMEHOW could the uti traveled? heh I didn't really have high blood sugars until this recent test on the 15th of March, so are my sugars high because of my liver? SORRY for asking so many questions but I can't get a wink of sleep because all I am worried about is dying at a young age although that sounds a dramatic, but I worry a lot.

As far as the milk thistle goes, could it affect me negatively? Meaning if something else is causing my liver to act up, could it harm me?

Also, I am on a low fat low carb low sodium semi vegetarian low GI diet. Typical day I eat salads, tuna, and raw nuts.

Last edited by LovelyOne; 03-28-2007 at 12:13 AM.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:06 AM   #5
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyOne View Post
I can give them a call tomorrow and ask what test this was that was high. I do know they did a cbc on me and a cholesterol test, along with random urine test since i'm dropping small amounts of ketones and they don't know why. I guess it's just frustrating because I've had these symptoms for SO LONG....anyways they did another blood test while I was there and the dr told me i'd have to do an ultrasound most likely to see what my liver looks like. Is it possible that maybe my UTI is causing this? OR SOMEHOW could the uti traveled? heh I didn't really have high blood sugars until this recent test on the 15th of March, so are my sugars high because of my liver? SORRY for asking so many questions but I can't get a wink of sleep because all I am worried about is dying at a young age although that sounds a dramatic, but I worry a lot.

As far as the milk thistle goes, could it affect me negatively? Meaning if something else is causing my liver to act up, could it harm me?

Also, I am on a low fat low carb low sodium semi vegetarian low GI diet. Typical day I eat salads, tuna, and raw nuts.

I know exactly what you mean hun. When I was feeling really bad I had to go to hospital several times and was in the heptology ward with elderly patients who were dying from liver failure (I'm only 33!) and it sent a mad panic through me each and every night I can tell you.

Each test you do brings hope they can find what's wrong and then when they come back clear or inconclusive you go through a stage of worry and depression. You try and stay positive but it gets pretty damn hard and I have to admit it got to a point where I needed to see a doctor and get medication to help me get by. We're only human after all and these emotions are very human indeed.

Stay positive and strong hun and if necessary, ask for help. Friends and family, people online can all give you moral support, but a doctor can probably help you out as well if you need it. I went on anti-depressants for only 2 months during the worst of it and it really helped me get by.

The milk thistle is fine as long as you're not allergic to it. It's a natural supplement and I was able to take it with all sorts of things and never had a problem.

Your diet sounds great, keep it up!!!!!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
(female)

LovelyOne HB User

Makes no sense that people abuse thier bodies and are perfectly healthy...ANYWAYS thanks for the encouragment, I know all I can do now is wait until Monday to see if the results are back. But what is the dosage for Milk Thistle? I've found varying mg's....A

Last edited by moderator2; 03-29-2007 at 06:56 AM. Reason: do not post websites or copy from them

Old 03-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
(male)

Hmmm, good point. I'm at work at the moment so I don't have the bottle on hand (I just go by the recommended dosage that's on the bottle itself).
[ REMOVED ]

Yep, that's the one

I've been taking that now for about 7 months, 3 times daily and it's great stuff!

I'll continue to take it until I can't even feel a twinge in the liver region anymore, although when I had my ALTs checked just before Christmas last year, they'd dropped from about 160 I believe to only 30. The rate of drop DOUBLED when I started taking the Milk Thistle so I know it works.

Combined with a good diet and plenty of water, I always feel good after taking this extract and no, I haven't had any side effects (including the laxative effect).

Please note that I live in Australia, so this is what I get here. It may differ depending on where you are.

Best wishes hun.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-29-2007 at 04:19 PM. Reason: do not post commercial websites or copy from them

Old 03-31-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
(female)

LovelyOne HB User

I don't think I mentioned this before but I was taking doxycycline for maybe 3-4 days (im bad with times/dates) went into the ER for a CT scan of chest, I had a slight itch that started on my arm didn't think anything of it.....go the dye injected with benadryl, went home. Maybe a week later is when I had the rash/hives so could it be that the doxycycline had made my liver test abnormal and would it return to normal? Bleh im worrying too much I still need to wait until Monday to see if they got my test results back. IM HOPING it's just from the doxycycline, although my dr said it didn't look like a medication allergic reaction *shrug* I haven't started taking the milk thistle yet because im trying to find out what the best dosage is. I might just do what you did and go by what the bottle says

Last edited by moderator2; 03-31-2007 at 04:42 PM.

Closed Thread