It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

cyt HB User
Please help - I'm sick with worry!

This is about my 16 y/o son. He had a routine blood workup done with a physical because I thought he was too skinny. (he's skinny because he eats healthy foods and no junk because he wants to be healthy). Anyway, the nurse called last week and said his liver enzymes were elevated. She said one figure was 40 and should have been 32 or below, and the other was 94 and should be 46 or below. I don't know what these figures represent. Anyway, they have scheduled him for an ultrasound. How worried should I be? Could this be not much of anything, I realize it could be serious. I've been reading up on it and his seem to be mild elevations. Anybody with anything similair that turned out to be nothing? He really seems in good health and hasn't felt bad. He doesn't take any meds but does work out a lot and drinks a lot of herbal tea. Please, if you can help calm my fears, I would appreciate it, and any prayers you could send up would be greatly appreciated! cin

Old 04-23-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

cyt HB User
Re: Please help - I'm sick with worry!

Oh, I forgot to mention he is not a drinker. ANY words of calming will be much appreciated! A worried Mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
(female)

liver99 HB User

These are probably the ALT and AST. These numbers while are liver fuction number can also be elevated in other problems beside those having to do with the liver. Wait for the ultrasound and other testing if ordered. Other wise I wouldn't worry yet. My liver doc told me, if he tested the general population, over half would have elevated liver numbers and a lot of people probably do and don't know it. Those numbers by themselves probably don't mean much. Did they check Alk Phos. or Bilirubin?

Old 04-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
(female)

cyt HB User

Not sure what all they checked - just know that these 2 were elevated....when she told me over the phone I was kind of in shock and didn't remember to ask too many intelligent questions! Duh! Anyway, I'm so glad I found this board, it's really calmed me down a lot. Thanks everyone. I'll keep ya posted. Cin Oh, and any more words of encouragement greatly appreciated at this time!

Old 04-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
(female)

ladyj2 HB User

Hi there,

Hope it's nothing serious, but I was wondering if you have looked at the ingredients in his herbal teas to see if these can afffect the liver as many herbs can. Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
(female)

cyt HB User

I did take a look at the teas but didn't really know what to look for. The ingredients all sounded pretty normal and nothing far out. I pray it is just the tea and nothing serious. Please say a prayer for us. And thanks. Cin

Old 04-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
(female)

liver99 HB User

When you would need to worry is when the ALT and AST ( those I think are the numbers you mentioned they sound like the right range) is if those number were in the 200 range. Alk phos is another number they test for, mine currently sits around 240 which is high, but high where you would worry would be 1000. My AST and ALT are around 30 and 80, a little high, but I had a liver transplant and my docs aren't worried at all. Bilirubin is a main number they look at, usually sits around 0-2. If it was 15...yes 15 that would be worrysome. Hope this helps calm you, my mom was worried sick too when my numbers were high. Let us know what you find out.

As far as herbs go, even commons herbs can cause liver problems, although specificlly I couldn't tell you which ones, because they tell transplant patients to stay away from all of them.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

sorry about your son,believe me i know how you feel.does he have any actual swelling around the lower ribcage area at all or any red markings like a red dot or tiny little cappillaries that run from it?any nose bleeds or stomach aches from time to time?marcia

Old 04-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
(female)

cyt HB User

No - he doesn't have any symptoms or aches and pains at all. I took him to the doctor for a check up because he eats so healthy and has lost too much weight! I'll keep you all posted. Thanks, Cin

Old 04-26-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
sorry about your son,believe me i know how you feel.does he have any actual swelling around the lower ribcage area at all or any red markings like a red dot or tiny little cappillaries that run from it?any nose bleeds or stomach aches from time to time?marcia

What does it mean if u do have swelling or what feels like a actual lump under right rib cage with red dots in that general area?? I am very worried and in pain and allot of bloating from it also???

I also had my gallbladder removed in Dec w/ extensive adhesions.
Sorry I didn't mean to hijack thread I just wanted to respond to that statement as it really stuck out with me!

Thank you.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:43 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Sorry to freak you out there kat.the red dots i was talking about are usually on the face somewhere?my son had always had this tiny little red dot on one of his cheeks right under his eye,but his doc way back when just mentioned it was really nothing,well move ahead a few years and we found out it was an angioma,or also called a nevis?for him,this was actually a sign of liver disease.this is NOT always the case.but he had portal hypertension caused by his portal vein starting to close over from these nasty fibers of tissue that were slowly taking over his liver since even before he was born,we just didn't have a flippin clue he was even sick til he vomited up blood in 7th grade one day.but the dot had actually become more and more red and more pronounced looking,it also had these really tiny little vessels that spidered off from it.this was just caused by the back up of blood that was occuring in the liver which puched it back into the spleen then eventually the stomach and throat vessels.they were veins and not used to the higher pressure so they started to break and bleed into his stomach.thats where the blood kept coming from.

i don't know exactly what in the heck causes these to form in other places.i too have them on my chest ansd actually one on my ankle?sometimes if you just have a tiny little weak spot in that particular cappilary,i think it just kind of bulges a bit and creates that bright red dot(like a teeny little blood blister type thing?).mine have been checked by my doc,and despite the fact that i do have liver affectation due to polycystic kidney disease,he said that the angiomas were in no way actually related to it at all.

As far as that lump you mentioned,i honestly don't really know about that.it could be an actual muscle wad of some sort or scar tissue from your surgery or something along those lines.or it could also be part of your liver.it would really be just too hard to say without actually seeing it or palpating it.have you had it evaluated by your doc at all?this is what i would do if i were you,really.your doc knows just what is and is not supposed to be there and sometimes,just by feeling any sort of lump somewhere,they can tell whether it is sort of cystic(fluid filled) or a muscular wad or something else.but it really does need some evaluating.I do hope all is well.i wouldn't worry too overly much about the dots.i have found that in at least two areas on my stomach where i have these little dots are actually areas that i have rubbed alot?my kidneys are always kind of achey just because they are getting larger due to the cysts forming in them and on them.these areas could have just suffered one of those tiny breaks just from me rubbing that area alot.do you also have a tendancy to rub this area alot?sometimes we just do it without even realizing it thru out the day.espescially when it is just 'there" and we naturally just keep feeling for it,you know what i mean?just one possibility.i would definitely get this evaled tho.peace of mind if nothing else.let me know how things go,K? marcia

Closed Thread