It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
(female)

katrina2u HB User
Why a MRI after a CT Scan?

I have had pain in my tailbone area since Octoberish...it hurts really bad when I go from a sitting to a standing position. Finally, I went to the doctor and the Xray showed nothing wrong with my tailbone. So I was sent for a CT Scan which picked up a mass (1.8 cm) in my liver...also cysts on my kidney...but nothing to explain the pain unless it is a referred pain from the liver. I am going for MRI on Monday with "granulinium". My CT Scan was with oral barium contrast and IV contrast. I have not been on BC since 1999...I do have really bad endometriosis and feel that is what is causing my pain (scar tissue). Also, I was tested for blood in my stools and 3/4 came back positive. Are any of these conditions related?!! I HATE being a patient...just want the pain to go away. Anyhow, isn't the CT Scan more diagnostic than a MRI? My hospital uses the "64 slice" CT...I am VERY nervous about the MRI, yet am comforted from the posts I have read on Adenomas that most of them are not serious...
Anyhow, any input is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-02-2007, 04:33 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: Why a MRI after a CT Scan?

A MRI is a bit more sensitive and defined then a CT. Any mass on the liver needs to be evaluated for the obvious reasons. Any blood in the stool needs to be evaluated with a colonoscopy. You should ask for that after the MRI. I'm kind of confused why you weren't sent for a colonscopy first. Pain in the tailbone and bleeding seems indicative of a colon/rectal problem. Liver pain is generally referred to the right shoulder.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
(female)

katrina2u HB User

I was referred to a GI doc for the blood in the stool but I wanted to do a CT first to see if it showed anything...Thanks for your help!

Old 06-03-2007, 07:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I am really wondering if what you actually have going on is possible polycystic kidney disease with liver involvement,only because i have it too and your description of symtomology sounds VERY familiar.

Just an FYI here,and they 'usually' do this but make sure they check your creatinine level in your kindneys BEFORE giving you any dye since that dye can cause its own set of kidney issues when there is some level of kidney compromise.my nephrologist told me that before any more MRI with contrast or before anymore angiograms are done(i also have a brain aneurysm too)i HAVE to take this liquid med called "mucomyst".it just helps protect the kidneys from contrast damage.the thing is,it has to be taken the morning of the day BEFORE the actual procedure and then in the evening then the morning of and one dose after.i would just be very careful about the dye thing since those cysts have been found in your kidneys now.have you had any kidney labs done since these cysts were discovered just to check functions?

the really best way to actually 'see" liver and kidney cysts is actually with ultrasound.you just don't have alot of the other crap in the picture.believe me,they show up extremely well.did they say what that liver 'mass' cosisted of yet?or is this why they are doing the MRI?this could be a simple hemangioma as well as something else.

i would not think the blood in stool thing would be related really to the kidneys or the liver but the liver "could' possibly be an issue since the connections within the GI tract are there.very remote possibility i would guess.the most likely reason to have blood in your stool is usually polyps of some sort within the intestinal tract somewhere(finding microscopic blood makes it very hard to tell whether it is digested blood or red,fresher blood tho).this happened with my husband a few years back.they just did a colonoscopy and popped out three polyps that were hiding in there,one was very very high up and this one was a precancerous one so i am thankful they got this all out.he just went back for a follow up this past year and everything is still clear as can be since.

It really does sound like you may have two seperate issues going on or one very wierd connection.you can have pain in the buttocks area that is actually stemming from kidney enlargement,which would be going on if you do indeed have polycystic kidney disease.your kidneys just become very enlarged over time from the polyglobs of cysts that form outside and inside the kidney displacing healthy kidney tissue.it is also possible to get cysts in other organs or strange places too.i also have two cysts in my L psoas muslce that gives me flank and butt pain.

above all else,get the labs done.like i said,they really "should" be doing this routinely anyway but in your particular case.it just has to be done with this new discovery.you just don't know what your actual kidney function is without those labs.if you have to reschedule your MRI in order to have this done,it would be a very wise choice,really.you need to make certain your kidneys are protected.my labs are amazingly still all within the normal ranges despite the major crap i have going on,but my nephrologist still wont let me have any dye procedures without the benefit of muco first.if this MRI is actually being done in a real hospital,they will be able to run those labs very quickly for you,if it isn't,if i were you,i would really wait til you know for certain here.it just carries a very real risk for people with kidney disease or function impairment of some sort.i personally(knowing now what i did not know when i should have)am just not willing to take it with the only healthy kidney tissue i still have left.this just really DOES need to be considered with your kidneys being'cysted".you also just had a good round of barium PLUS IV contrast as well. i am not too sure about those affects(the barium),it wouldn't hurt to ask the rad people about it as well.

you just really do need to find out where your kidney functions are before doing anything more using contrast dye.you do have certain rights here when it comes to just protecting your own body organs from damage.a little mucomyst(tho it does smell like rotten eggs but can be hidden really well in orange juice)the day before and the day of will protect your kidneys from some of the more possible toxic effects of the contrast.if you need more info on this just do some searching using 'contrast dye kidney failure" this should give you alot of info.i was never told about this possibility til after i had several contrasted MRIs done.it was when i had to have an angiogram and coiling procedure done on my brain aneurysm that this came up.i was a bit shocked since none of the rad people ever mentioned it before despite the fact it stated on my forms that i did have kidney disease.

I wish you lots of luck with this and hope everything comes out okay for you.please keep us posted,Marcia

Closed Thread