It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #1
(male)

trojan23_us HB User
Fatty Infiltration of Liver causing back discomfort?

Hi All -

I've been reading posts for the past 2 months after being diagnosed with fatty infiltration of liver in April 2007...and now have finally registered on the board.

A quick background on my case:
I went to see my primary care dr because I was having some upper right abdominal discomfort, as well as some right flank pain with small bouts of feeling bloated. I originally thought I could have had kidney stones since I have had 2 gout attacks in my ankle in the past and I heard that individuals with gout have higher chances of getting stones. I also have metabolic syndrome (Syndrome X) with my high trigylcerides (290), borderline highblood pressure (128/88), high uric acid, low HDL (35). I don't really consider myself to be in bad health...just out of shape. I used to be really active and always hit the gym for 2 hours (weight lifting/cardio) for 4days/week. It was just this past year (after changing jobs) did I stop all my exercising but still didn't really "look" overweight, etc.

At any rate, I went in and my dr did an abdominal palpatation (sp?) and everything felt normal. I then had a CT scan (w/o contrast) of my abdomin and no stones were found, kidneys unremarkable but he said that something was "weird" by my liver so he scheduled an ultrasound a week later. Needless to say, I was going insane wondering what could be "weird" even though he said it could be something called "fatty liver".

At that point, I began looking up what it was and changed my diet...which I didn't think was bad (small amounts of red meat/mostly pork&chicken/rice/etc.). I began eating small salads for lunch, as well as incorporating lots of fish into my diet and started exercising 5days/week (1-2 mile walk). I was 207lbs at 5'10". I also began taking milk thistle (3x/day @ 175mg 80% standardized), omega-3 pills and eating dried goji berries throughout the day.

So I then had the ultrasound (still having the discomforts) and turns out that it was "just" fatty infiltration of the liver (right lobe) with some fat around my gallbladder. No lesions found on liver. Pancreas was unremarkable. Whew...

At any rate, I've stuck to my diet and exercise. I've lost some weight and am about 190lbs. I've begun walking/jogging further...about 2-3 miles (sometimes uphill). I really don't have the upper right abdominal discomfort anymore too...just occassional twinges of discomfort.

My question now is, should I continue having some back discomfort on the right side? It's about where my lower rib is on the right. It's not painful but rather just a discomfort when I lean back on a chair, etc. I also feel like my lower lumbar muscles are inflamed.

Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by trojan23_us; 07-02-2007 at 02:06 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to trojan23_us For This Useful Post:
lenamurillo (12-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
(male)

jeb1977 HB User
Re: Fatty Infiltration of Liver causing back discomfort?

hi trojan,

I was diagnosed with fatty liver as well, it looks like you are in the right path. fatty diffusion changes in about 6 months after strict dieting. I started going to the gym lift weights and cardio 4 times per week, I kept doing that for the last 4 yrs non stop. my health has never been so good as now. I'm 29 and the doctor told me that I had the health of a 60 yr old, I had fatty infiltration, low hdl high ldl and two and half times the tryglicerides. I felt disconfort too exactly like you said, specially on my lower right quadrant and all that dull pains went away, I asked the same question to my doctor and he said that It was probably the fatty infiltration. b the way the fatty liver went away within 8 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan23_us View Post
Hi All -

I've been reading posts for the past 2 months after being diagnosed with fatty infiltration of liver in April 2007...and now have finally registered on the board.

A quick background on my case:
I went to see my primary care dr because I was having some upper right abdominal discomfort, as well as some right flank pain with small bouts of feeling bloated. I originally thought I could have had kidney stones since I have had 2 gout attacks in my ankle in the past and I heard that individuals with gout have higher chances of getting stones. I also have metabolic syndrome (Syndrome X) with my high trigylcerides (290), borderline highblood pressure (128/88), high uric acid, low HDL (35). I don't really consider myself to be in bad health...just out of shape. I used to be really active and always hit the gym for 2 hours (weight lifting/cardio) for 4days/week. It was just this past year (after changing jobs) did I stop all my exercising but still didn't really "look" overweight, etc.

At any rate, I went in and my dr did an abdominal palpatation (sp?) and everything felt normal. I then had a CT scan (w/o contrast) of my abdomin and no stones were found, kidneys unremarkable but he said that something was "weird" by my liver so he scheduled an ultrasound a week later. Needless to say, I was going insane wondering what could be "weird" even though he said it could be something called "fatty liver".

At that point, I began looking up what it was and changed my diet...which I didn't think was bad (small amounts of red meat/mostly pork&chicken/rice/etc.). I began eating small salads for lunch, as well as incorporating lots of fish into my diet and started exercising 5days/week (1-2 mile walk). I was 207lbs at 5'10". I also began taking milk thistle (3x/day @ 175mg 80% standardized), omega-3 pills and eating dried goji berries throughout the day.

So I then had the ultrasound (still having the discomforts) and turns out that it was "just" fatty infiltration of the liver (right lobe) with some fat around my gallbladder. No lesions found on liver. Pancreas was unremarkable. Whew...

At any rate, I've stuck to my diet and exercise. I've lost some weight and am about 190lbs. I've begun walking/jogging further...about 2-3 miles (sometimes uphill). I really don't have the upper right abdominal discomfort anymore too...just occassional twinges of discomfort.

My question now is, should I continue having some back discomfort on the right side? It's about where my lower rib is on the right. It's not painful but rather just a discomfort when I lean back on a chair, etc. I also feel like my lower lumbar muscles are inflamed.

Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
(male)

trojan23_us HB User

Hi jeb -

Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to wonder if only I had those symptoms for my diagnosis of fatty liver. ha! Glad to hear (well, not figuratively) that there are others like me feeling the same way. So if I may ask, how tall are you and what did you weigh at your original diagnosis? I'm asking because I still have 10 more lbs to lose until I get to my dr's recommended optimal weight for me...180. It's just weird to me because even now at 190, I feel weird (not in a bad way) since I haven't been this weight in ages...which I guess can explain how out of shape I've been for all these years and the stress it's been on my liver. I want to go back to the gym and lift weights again but my dr. is not recommending it...at least not like how I used to (heavy weight lifting) because of the weight I put on when I hit the weights. Also, my back discomforts are making me iffy with weights and stuff. And along those notes, since my original post on 7/2, my back actually has been feeling better. I now sleep with a pillow under my legs...sit with proper posture at work...take frequent breaks to stretch out my back...as well as slowly losing weight, etc.

So you were originally diagnosed with fatty liver at 25? And it took 8 months for you to get rid of it? With that said, I guess I definitely am on my way to better health...just impatient...ya know? Do you take anything for your high triglcerides?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
(male)

jeb1977 HB User

exactly, I was diagnosed with that at 25... I recommend you to start the weight lifting BUT start slow with light weight just so your body starts to adapt, do cardio like walking on the threadmill or the bike, start slow walking, then put more speed but little by little you will be able to get on shape, One of the engineers here at work he's 49 and I "introduced" him to the gym and now I can't keep up with him, there's a lot of people like his age or a bit older and we even workout together sometimes, he even lost 30lbs no bull.. but he was obese... now he's not taking those medicines for his blood pressure anymore his doctor took those off of him about 6 months ago which is good, now the gym is part of his daily basis things to do.

make sure but make sure to eliminate red meat as much as posible... really you don't have to starb when dieting.. I was death serious when I start my diet to put myself back on my feet.. most of the time I would eat chicken breast with a cup of brown rice and veggies, try to avoid sodas, salt, sugar, white bread, pork(<lean if any) starchy foods, just like if you are diabetic... the reason for this is because you don't want to cause those spike insulin level to go high because that's when you gain weight, don't mix sugars and carbs that a big no no in a diet, get your good complex carbs from veggies, brown rice, whole grain wheat breads, wheat pasta etc etc (do some reseach on complex carbs) don't eat the egg yolk just the egg whites because they are full of rich amino acids and vitamins b which are good for you, the egg yolk has vitamins as well but it has fat and cholesterol. when you cook use the olive oil spray watch what you eat.. well since I work in a office (I do design in computer for civil engineering) and sitting down most of the time, I also was having problems with my back and since I would sit down real confy and not how you're supposed to (spine straight) my tail bone hurt like for months that I even thought that I had something back there LOL.

anyways... I'm at 177-180 right now and I'm 5'-9", I used to weight between 194-196 I know because I would weight myself often, I used to eat every greasy food you can think of, specially like ribs the ones that have an outer layer of fat?!?! mmh those were good!!!!! I used to eat that a lot and steaks with a lot of grease, mcdonalds, a lot of junk food... I would drink almost everyday (and smoke since I was 17)I would get out of here (work) and go straight to the stop and go to pick up my 2-24oz beers or a six pack go home and cook some greasy stuff.. I just didn't care what I would eat, drink, go to sleep real late and come back to work in the morning... omg those mornings were awful!!!!

I have pictures of before and after I started dieting and going to the gym, maan people say that I look years younger because at 25yrs old girls would tell me that I was like 35-38, now I look younger, feel younger and with a lot of energy, I couldn't lift heavy at all and I would get easily tired at the gym within 5 min... now with all my effort I can keep up with the guys at the gym, I lift heavy now (not that heavy but much more weight) and I can run 2 miles without a problem. I have never ever in my life felt so energetic as I feel now, I don't get sick as often as I used to, everything changes your imune system becomes stonger, energy, good well being.. overall good health. THERE'S NOTHING BETTER FOR THE BODY THAN EXERCISE AND EAT RIGHT TO CORRECT OUR HEALTH.

as for supplements, I take Milk thisle and Liv.52 for liver support. for overall health and is a must to take a multivitamin (specially dieting) Omega-3,6,9 which is the flax seed oil or fish oil these oils either one they help you with the tryglicerides and to elevate your cholesterol hdl and lower your ldl and for is good for your joints too, vitamin b&c in one fill form.. these are good because of their great antioxidants and b vitamins are super good for your for energy. well gotta go I hope this helps... get back...

yeah it took about 8 months to a year, when I went on my 8th month for my follow up blood work and ct they told me that that's when they started seeing the diffusion of fat out my liver according to my ct scan but I still had to work on my tryglicerides which right now they are normal high but normal... that gave more strenght to keep going... keep going and don't stop, just keep in mind that there's nothing special about lifting weights and exercising.. just be consistent and you WILL see results! I guarrante it! get back when u get a chance.!

later

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan23_us View Post
Hi jeb -

Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to wonder if only I had those symptoms for my diagnosis of fatty liver. ha! Glad to hear (well, not figuratively) that there are others like me feeling the same way. So if I may ask, how tall are you and what did you weigh at your original diagnosis? I'm asking because I still have 10 more lbs to lose until I get to my dr's recommended optimal weight for me...180. It's just weird to me beca<u>se even now at 190, I feel weird (not in a bad way) since I haven't been this weight in ages...which I guess can explain how out of shape I've been for all these years and the stress it's been on my liver. I want to go back to the gym and lift weights again but my dr. is not recommending it...at least not like how I used to (heavy weight lifting) because of the weight I put on when I hit the weights. Also, my back discomforts are making me iffy with weights and stuff. And along those notes, since my original post on 7/2, my back actually has been feeling better. I now sleep with a pillow under my legs...sit with proper posture at work...take frequent breaks to stretch out my back...as well as slowly losing weight, etc.

So you were originally diagnosed with fatty liver at 25? And it took 8 months for you to get rid of it? With that said, I guess I definitely am on my way to better health...just impatient...ya know? Do you take anything for your high triglcerides?

Old 07-17-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

can u tell me what the milk thisle and liv.52 does for the fatty infiltration on the liver i was diagnosed about 3 months ago and have been looking for something to help

Old 07-17-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
(male)

jeb1977 HB User

the main key to difuse the fat from your liver is diet, milk thisle it's a supplement that aids in restoring your liver cells and to regenerate your liver by making it stronger and that leads to difuse the fat out of your liver with the help of this great supplement. here's some info for you to read, you can do a seach on this supplement and it'll give you a lot of medical studies backing up how good this herbal supplement is.

Fatty Liver Syndrome:
The liver contains an excessive amount of fat and the normal healthy liver tissue is partly replaced with areas of unhealthy fats.

Toxicity:
You may have a build-up of fat-soluble toxins (such as insecticides & pesticides), drug metabolites, alcohol consumption, junk food or waste products of metabolism in your fatty tissues and liver. This slows down the metabolism of the fatty parts of your body & also over-burdens your liver. This means that the liver burns fat less efficiently. Gentle and regular detoxification is very helpful when trying to lose weight. Drinking plenty of water, raw vegetable juices and Milk thisle formulas and strict diet will help the detoxification process.

How long does it take to see the results with Milk thisle:
The liver has become a fat storage organ rather than a fat burning organ - so this situation must be reversed before actual detoxification of the liver & weight loss can occur. Obviously this will depend on the extent of the fatty liver as to how long this will take. Also be prepared for the fact that you will more than likely hit a 'plateau' - where weight loss will stop or slow right down - this may go on for weeks or a month or two - Don't be discouraged at this time - the fat loss is occurring - but is going from within your liver so you may not see any visible fat loss from the body - stick with it! It is at this time that people will tend to give up thinking that that's it - they won't lose anymore - not true! - you must be diligent and patient - the symptoms you are experiencing have taken years to develop and cannot be reversed by a couple of weeks of "dieting" Yo Yo dieting is not advisable as the weight lost will return plus more and the metabolism will slow.

Treatment:
The body needs to be provided with the correct nutrients required by the metabolic and detoxification pathways to effectively improve the liver function. This needs to be a combination of correct eating principles and antioxidants as milk thisle and other and other natural plants that should be followed generally as a way of life and the correct supplementation to give the liver/thyroid etc what it needs and nothing that it doesn't need as these 'extras' will only weigh it down even more.

What is Milk thisle:
Poisons enter your body whenever you smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, work with solvents and paints, take medications to combat pain, or walk down a city street breathing the exhaust of cars and buses. Even if you live in the country, hundreds of miles from an industrial hub, you probably breathe air laced with some of the 851 million pounds of toxic chemicals that are released into the environment each year.
What keeps these poisons from overwhelming your body is your liver. The liver breaks down toxins in the bloodstream and turns them into less harmful substances that are eventually flushed from your system. Your liver is the great detoxifier, and it has the capacity to serve you well for a lifetime. When your liver becomes damaged by toxins, however, Milk Thistle, a plant with a long history as a liver tonic, may be helpful. This herb has been used to treat inflammation of the liver, hepatitis, mushroom and chemical poisoning, and liver damage from alcohol abuse or long-term use of certain medications. "Milk Thistle strengthens your liver and reduces the damage from environmental irritants like pesticides," says Jennifer Brett, N.D., a naturopathic doctor at the Wilton Naturopathic Center in Stratford, Connecticut. molecules that rage through the body, harm healthy cells, and accelerate aging. Silymarin is actually a group of flavonoids that functions as an antihepatoxic, meaning that it acts directly on the liver to protect it from poisons. It mounts the defenses on two fronts. First, it binds to the membranes of liver cells and creates a tough shield so that toxins have a more difficult time penetrating the cell walls. If toxins do make it into the cells and cause damage, silymarin stimulates the liver to speed up production of beneficial enzymes and proteins as part of a healing restoration. Milk thistle is native to the Mediterranean but now grows wild in North America, especially California and the eastern United States. Although it was used for centuries in Europe as a liver tonic, by the beginning of the twentieth century, its value was nearly forgotten. Some years ago, German scientists began investigating the chemical properties of the Milk Thistle fruit and discovered a concentrated group of flavonoid compounds called silymarin. Flavonoids in general are an important group of antioxidants that devour free radicals, the free-roaming, unstable molecules that rage through the body, harm healthy cells, and accelerate aging. Silymarin is actually a group of flavonoids that functions as an antihepatoxic, meaning that it acts directly on the liver to protect it from poisons. It mounts the defenses on two fronts. First, it binds to the membranes of liver cells and creates a tough shield so that toxins have a more difficult time penetrating the cell walls. If toxins do make it into the cells and cause damage, silymarin stimulates the liver to speed up production of beneficial enzymes and proteins as part of a healing restoration.
"Silymarin is an antioxidant that acts very specifically on liver tissue. It also increases the activity of glutathione, the bodyís own antioxidant," says Alison Lee, M.D., a pain-management specialist and medical director of Barefoot Doctors, an alternative medicine practice in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Milk thistle ( Silybum marianum ) has been used since Greco-Roman times as an herbal remedy for a variety of ailments, particularly liver problems. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries physicians in the United States used milk thistle seeds to relieve congestion of the liver, spleen, and kidneys. Today, several scientific studies suggest that active substances in milk thistle (particularly silymarin) protect the liver from damage caused by viruses, toxins, alcohol, and certain drugs such as acetaminophen (a common over the counter medication used for headaches and pain; acetaminophen, also called paracetamol, can cause liver damage if taken in large quantities or by people who drink alcohol regularly.)

REMEMBER THAT DIET IS THE KEY TO GET RID OF THAT FAT IN YOUR LIVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delrae4753 View Post
can u tell me what the milk thisle and liv.52 does for the fatty infiltration on the liver i was diagnosed about 3 months ago and have been looking for something to help

The Following User Says Thank You to jeb1977 For This Useful Post:
lenamurillo (12-21-2011)
Old 07-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
(male)

eric5555 HB User

Thanks for this info jeb1977. Especially the part on milk thistle. I've recently started taking it.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
(male)

trojan23_us HB User

Hey jeb - Wow, it's crazy how fatty liver can just appear at such a young age. I still consider myself young at 31. I was also like you where I thought I could eat anything and have drinks. Lately, my drinking has been more of some wine here and there with dinner but still. Thanks for the encouragement with the gym and exercising. I'm definitely sticking to it...especially the cardio. I'll also slowly incorporate some light lifting...once I can settle down my back.

The diet is the hardest as I love the steaks, etc. but I've done a good job limiting it to the smallest amounts eating it maybe 2 times a month. The rest of the time, it's fish, chicken and pork but I'm going to try to cut down on the pork too. Also, lots of veggies and fruit as well as brown rice (when I can). I also take milk thistle, which I believe is helping my liver.

What originally got you to see the dr? Was it the ache by the ribs?

Old 07-18-2007, 08:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

thanks so much for the info i have an appointment with my dr next week and i need to find out from her if its going to be ok taking the milk thisle becasue of the meds im on for the diabetes and bp she has to ok any herbal supplements, now that i have this info i can take it to her and ask

Old 08-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
(male)

trojan23_us HB User

So got my latest blood work done and here are the results with comparisons:

The following tests were normal:
Lipids (Cholesterol)

The following tests were abnormal:
HDL cholesterol low
Glucose (blood sugar) = Slightly high at 100
Uric Acid high

CHOLESTEROL (mg/dL)
Date Value Low High
08/02/2007 157 (<200)
09/18/2006 174 (<200)
----------
TRIGLYCERIDES (mg/dL)
Date Value Low High
08/02/2007 90 (<150)
09/18/2006 297* (<150)
----------
HDL CHOLESTEROL (mg/dL)
Date Value Low High
08/02/2007 34* (>40)
09/18/2006 35* (>40)
----------
LDL (mg/dL)
Date Value Low High
08/02/2007 105 (<130)
09/18/2006 80 (0 130)
-----------
URIC ACID (mg/dL)
Date Value Low High
08/02/2007 9.5* (2.6 7.2)
09/18/2006 10.3* (3.4 7.0)
-----------
GLUCOSE (mg/dL)
Date Value Low High
08/02/2007 100* (70 99)
09/18/2006 92 (70 100)

As for my fatty liver, I still feel on occassion some twinges but not like before. My back issues have still been bothering me but it seems to be getting better...slowly though. I've been doing back exercises as well as sitting better at work with a lumbar support.

Weight is hanging around 188lbs and blood pressure was 120/83.

So looks like things are slowly getting better...I hope!

Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
(male)

trojan23_us HB User

So I just saw my doctor again since my lumbar muscles were still inflamed and bothering me. He had me do a normal xray of my spine and the results were negative.

Does anyone out there know if having weak core muscles can cause my back to be inflamed like this? I've also had others suggest that I may have "slipped rib syndrome"?

Closed Thread