It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
(female)

katya1974 HB User
High Liver Test results

I went in for blood tests(yearly) and my cholesterol was terrible but what really scared me is that my liver AST and ALT results were high.
My AST was 105 and ALT 192. They marked it high but what does that mean?
I have been reading all sorts of different high scores from 300-1000.

Also how can I lower this besides not drinking which I have done as per the doctors written request. I do not take any drugs at all not even over the counter.

Please help- any advice would be appreciative

PS What does milk thistle do and how do you know it is working? How much do you take? I bought capsule form.

Last edited by katya1974; 07-22-2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: additional question

Old 07-24-2007, 04:58 AM   #2
(female)

1BadLiver HB User
Re: High Liver Test results

Hi there,
As I posted here (somewhere) before, Labs use different "values" or "ranges" so I don't know what your lab considers normal range. ALWAYS, ask for a copy of your lab results from your doctor! It will explain the ranges they use.

As for AST/ALT values, here is what an attachment to the labs said that I received: AST (Normal 8-40) & ALT (Normal 20-65)- These enzymes measure liver function. Isolatd very mild elevations on a routine chemistry profile may be normal. However, any significant elevations should be evaluated.

BILIRUBIN: (Normal 2.5-4.0) The bilirubin along with the alk phos, AST, and ALT is a measure of liver function. Elevated values may indicate a biliary problem. However, mild elevations of bilirubin also occur with a relatively benign lifelong asymptomatic condition known as Gilbert's syndrome.

ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE (Normal 40-126) Low values are not significant. Elevated values may indicate a biliary problem or a bone problem. Minor elevations without other signs can sometimes be re-checked before further evaluation.
________________________________________ __
So you see, there are quite a few results taken into consideration by your doctor besides the AST/ALT. When my liver was REALLY bad almost everything was off. My Iron and Potassium was dangerously low. I had to have a blood transfusion. There are many things to be taken into consideration.
I don't know if Milk Thistle works, or doesn't. My docs said it was okay to take it. My liver could have (calmed down) simply because I didn't drink alcohol any longer (SIX MONTHS this past weekend! Yay for me.)

I cut back on protein intake (a bad liver has trouble processing protein, apparently), or was it the MT? I don't know but my levels are at a near normal level the last time I had them checked. I am at stage 3-4 liver disease.
Here's my vitamin regimen which is okay with the docs. I take MT, Folic Acid, B12, Calcium/D, Potassium and Iron. Bare in mind that everyone is different and you definately should talk to your doctor's first (other than the MT which is herbal). Too much Iron can be bad for you, for example. I also have gallstones (that they won't remove) so I can't tolerate dairy very well..that's why I take the calcium/D.

I'd have to say that the most important thing is COMMUNICATION with your doctor. Don't let them rush you in and out of an appointment. If you forget to ask him/her something during a visit, you should be able to call and at least speak with a nurse and get a response back to you in a timely manner. If you don't get these things..... Swith doctors! I've seen enough doctors over the years between my kids, myself, and now my Mom, that I just won't tolerate anything else but the time and care I deserve!

Good luck with everything!

Last edited by 1BadLiver; 07-24-2007 at 05:01 AM. Reason: extra word in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread