It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

girlcat36 HB User
how much time with end stage liver disease??

My father was recently hospitalized with end stage liver disease(due to alcohol). He was sent home after 5 days, and having some fluid drained from his abdomen(which was infected). On a visit to his doctor today, he said they wouldn't be draining anymore fluid. His stomach is huge, bigger than when he left the hospital 2 weeks ago. Why wouldn't they want to drain that fluid? While we were told he has end-stage disease, no one would give us a time frame of how much longer he may have. He also had two esophageal varices in the past five years which, obviously, he survived. He spends much time in bed because the ascites makes his back hurt so much. Can anyone who has been thru this give me some idea of what end stage really means, and how much time my father may have left?

Old 08-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
(female)

1BadLiver HB User
Re: how much time with end stage liver disease??

I'm sorry but I can't help you much. Maybe your questions should be directed to the doctor. His belly may still appear large without fluid build up. His liver, gallbladder, spleen, etc. are most likely enlarged a great deal. My doctor told me my liver was HUGE so I asked if it would shrink and get back to normal size... he said that if it begun shrinking, that would mean that more scar tissue was developing and that's not good.
Again..you should probably be more specific with the doctor.
Best wishes.

The following user gives a hug of support to 1BadLiver:
shaunahagen (01-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
(female)

girlcat36 HB User

Doctor refused to specify, and I can't get much info online. this has become complicated--he was ordered back to the ER, because blood taken yesterday showed that he was infected with Babesiosis(a tick-borne ailment), not sure what the treatment will be now. Just got word he will be admitted again.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

girlcat,

My uncle got that diagnosis and was immediately admitted to the hospital (Friday) and he was dead by Sunday.

Deciding to stop draining ascites means they have thrown in the towel. Figure a few weeks, maybe much less, and you won't be far wrong.

Sorry!

Last edited by Lenin; 08-11-2007 at 05:54 AM.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
(female)

kimmimc27 HB User

I have had two of my uncles die from liver disease,it's not pretty. At the very end they just sedated them with heavy doses of Morphine. It's painful,for your father,and for you to watch! I feel for you.If they've stopped draining him, depending on how far in the end stage he really is,he may only have a week left,at the most. The best thing you can do is be there for him,tell him you love him,hold his hand and let him know you're right there with him. He may not responde to you,but he can still hear you. Let him know it's ok to go and that you'll be ok,because you will be eventually. Best wishes to you!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimmimc27 For This Useful Post:
shaunahagen (01-02-2011), tetoterri (03-25-2012)
Old 08-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
(female)

girlcat36 HB User

Thank you all for your replies. He's not looking good today. His ammonia levels are high, yet he remains fairly clear-headed. The ascites and the jaundice look pretty bad, though. Won't be able to talk to his doctor 'til Monday.

Closed Thread