It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

donna70 HB Userdonna70 HB User
Lesion on ultrasound not on MRI???

Hi,
I am dazed and confused just had an ultrasound of my kidneys to follow up cyst on right kidney which lighted up on an MRI in April. Now they say simple cyst on kidney but they note that the liver lesion is still there that was seen on an ultrasound of the abdomen at about the same time as the CT and MRI but on that MRI they ruled out liver lesion said none seen. So now they say the liver lesion is slightly bigger 4 cm and this was not demonstrated on that MRI as a distinct structure and will review the MRI again. Help!! I asked for my own reports because I want to know what they say. Liver is not fatty, so no fatty sparing. On the original CT revision said it resembled liver tissue but did not have the central scar, but then again nothing seen on the MRI that followed but now on this new ultrasound showing a slightly larger version of the lesion. Does anyone make any sense of this? hoping it is just tissue, so far my dr has not called me and the radiologist said he was just going to review the old MRI. just want to know is an ultrasound more accurate than an MRI? thanks for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
(female)

ladyj2 HB User
Re: Lesion on ultrasound not on MRI???

HI,
Wow, I can see why you are confused! I can tell you that Ultra sounds are not as accurate as MRI's. I use the U/S to monitor my lesion and the sizes will vary because it is a person doing the measurements. Everyone is going to measure it a little differently. My lesion is never the same size. I also had both my CT and MRI with a contrast dye....did you? I don't think my lesion would show up without it. I probably have FNH and just have periodic U/S to monitor the growth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2007, 06:45 AM   #3
(female)

Hi,
Thanks for your input, mine is a solitary lesion but I did have contrast on the MRI which did not visualize it, just wish my internist would call me and say not to worry. so guess not to worry till the dr says to worry. Did not like getting the contrast about 2-3 wks later developed a sudden allergy to certain foods and now have to carry an epi pen but the drs say the gadolinium had nothing to do with that. take care!!
Donna70

Old 08-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
(female)

ladyj2 HB User

e]h, I hated that dye too. I kicked and screamed and cried when they injected me. That's why I am so happy just getting US to monitor the lesion even though it's not as accurate. It's quite baffling that it doesn't show up on the MRI. Mine is in an odd spot, sometimes hard to see. The last US the girl spent like 20 min on me and couldn't find it. She had to get a previous US to see where it was located. PLease post again and let us know how things turn out.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just an FYI here but if that 'lesion' is actually a hemangioma,it would not light up with contrast since it is made up of venous vessels and not arterial.i too really don't understand why a lesion that large would not actually show itself in some way shape or form upon MRI either.you DO most definitely need to start gathering up ALL of your medical records including all testing and the docs clinic notes too.you just need to read thru this stuff to really know for sure what is and is not in them.this also helps give you a better indication of just what your docs impressions are of your overall condition since this is what clinic notes actually are.you can do this all over the phone just by calling all and any place that has layed hands on you or tested something.its just the best possible way to stay fully imformed on your health/medical conditions.hopefully this is not anything major.please keep us posted.Marcia

Old 09-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
(female)

Hi
My dr called and said nothing to worry about but did not have the addendum from the radiologist yet and I did not get it in the mail either, though the radiology clinic secretary said she was faxing it right to his office and sending it to my home. So, still waiting and wondering if the secretary was mistaken about an addendum and will let you all know what is going on if I receive it. Can I ask if anyone has had a very swollen face with their problems? My face has swollen around the eyes and cheeks and my gyn said she thought that was kidney trouble and my internist who has not seen my face said it was "old age". thanks for any input about that.

Donna70

Old 09-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
(female)

Hi,
I called the radiology office back yesterday and spoke with medical records and they said there is no addendum, so the secretary must have confused my April addendum to a CT scan with the new ultrasound report which means they saw 4 cm of "nothing" on my ultrasound, so guess I am not going to pursue it. Maybe I just have liver tissue that looks funny on ultrasounds. My internist is not happy with me and when I asked about why my face is swollen he told me it was old age but my family thinks I look different, maybe I will switch internists. He is good sometimes but because I have worked in the medical field doing typing, medical assisting etc I am a hard patient. thanks for all your input, it was helpful.

Donna70

Old 09-08-2007, 11:41 PM   #8
(female)

roses4evver HB User

Donna,
Gosh...telling you it's "old age". I would be getting me another Dr.
FYI
It is possible the MRI was read incorrectly, or in other words missed, right? This maybe why your internist was talking about getting an adendum. That would be having another radiologist going back & re-reading that MRI to make sure something really wasn't there. It happens all the time!

wishing you lots a luck

*~* "Cherish every moment you share with your love, drink life every second you can, love like there will be no tomorrow!" *~*

Old 09-10-2007, 05:23 AM   #9
(female)

Hi,
I posted on another thread thought it would be easier to read, but I did get an addendum that said it was fatty infiltration and liver spurring but no recommendations were made, which if you look for the thread still confused, on the original ultrasound, the radiologist said no fatty liver, so after reading the April MRI, he says fatty infiltration and liver spurring which I think they meant liver sparing, but think in the end it was like a nodule of fat?? I will see if my dr calls and lets me know he got the addendum. thanks!!

Donna70

Old 09-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
(male)

J.BROW HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna70 View Post
Hi,
Thanks for your input, mine is a solitary lesion but I did have contrast on the MRI which did not visualize it, just wish my internist would call me and say not to worry. so guess not to worry till the dr says to worry. Did not like getting the contrast about 2-3 wks later developed a sudden allergy to certain foods and now have to carry an epi pen but the drs say the gadolinium had nothing to do with that. take care!!
Donna70
Donna,

Did they provide you with any idea of how they were able to determine that the gadolinium wasn't the culprit of your sudden food allergy? How did they determine what foods you became allergic to?

J

Old 09-12-2007, 05:30 AM   #11
(female)

Hi,
I had my lip swell after eating honey which I have eaten all my life then it was something else and my mouth swelled so my internist had me carry an epi pen and then go to an allergist which was time and money consuming but when I asked about the gadolinium, the allergist said he did not think it was the problem, I had no effects immediately after the MRI so just went with what they said. I originally started reacting to a lot of foods I normally ate but it has calmed down now but still won't eat honey. It is more serious if your throat swells of course but the same mechanism works when it is your tissues rather than the skin, so you have to beware. maybe it wasn't the gad, I will never know. hope that helps.
Donna70

Old 09-14-2007, 05:49 AM   #12
(female)

Hi,
Just wanted everyone to know that my internist called about the addendum and said it was alright, that there was nothing to worry about, something about fat strands in my liver and he was confused about the MRI addendum and was telling me that I had to come back for another ultrasound in three months, but he was quoting the April MRI from which the addendum was done after this most recent ultrasound, so nothing to worry about!!! thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate the wealth of info available on this board.

Donna70

Closed Thread