It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #1
(male)

pt1240 HB User
Re: Does the liver hurt? How much damage can it take and still function??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamonkey View Post
I have been drinking for 25 yrs and eating whatever. I was curious how much the liver can take and what are the symptoms, if any, show up when the liver starts to get fatty, toxic and unhealthy?? I feel like I've had sensations under my lower right ribs even to the back of my ribs but I'm not sure if it's in my mind or not.
Hi Seamonkey - I was recently diaignosed with fatty after I turned 40 and only 3 weeks ago had major surgery to address OSA which I have heard may be a culprit in fatty liver. But I also drink a bottle of wine a night on average, and have drunk an equivelant amount for 20 years or so even though I eat well and hit the gym 2-3 times a week. I am in the process of addressing this behavior, but have recently noticed similar symptons you noted - an almost imperceptible "pain" or discomfort in the lower right rib area to the lower back. I'd be curious to know if you have found out anything further re: your possible condition.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
(female)

alice13k HB User
Re: Does the liver hurt? How much damage can it take and still function??

What are the symptoms of chronic liver disease?
The symptoms are many and varied. You may have experienced some or all of the following:

* Fatigue - varying degrees of tiredness which may affect your quality of life
* Jaundice - yellow colouring of the skin and the whites of the eyes caused by a build up of bilirubin in the blood.
* Dark urine - caused by bilirubin in the urine
* Pale stools - difficult to flush away due to high fat content
* Pruritis - a persistent itch all over your body which is often difficult to treat
* Weight loss - the diseased liver cannot properly absorb nutrients from the food you eat
* Muscle wasting - the body will start to break down muscle as a source of energy if it does not get essential nutrients from the food you eat
* Tendency to bruise and bleed easily - caused by the inability of the diseased liver to make enough blood clotting factors
* Ankle swelling - fluid retention ascites - build up of fluid in the abdomen
* Vomiting blood - blood is not able to flow through the scarred liver easily. This causes a build up of pressure in the blood vessels of the oesophagus (gullet). If the blood vessels become very swollen they may burst and bleed into your stomach causing you to vomit black stools - if there is bleeding into your stomach you may also notice your stools are black due to digested blood passing through your system
* Mental confusion - the cause of this is not well understood but is thought to be due to the build up of toxins in the blood. If it progress it can lead to coma.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread