It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
(male)

Rheinau HB User
Aching pain in Liver area – Normal Liver Function Tests

I have read many posts where folks mention pain in the right ribcage in the liver area – also known as Upper Right Quadrant (URQ), but I don’t think I’ve seen one post with a definite diagnosis.

I a 40 yr old male (a nondrinker for 20 months) and have had the pain on and off for the last 20 months. My liver function tests have been within normal range. Recently tests revealed that my gall bladder was non-functional (no stones) and was removed 7 weeks ago. Still have the pain.

My pain is mild – pain level 2 or so. It started out as a pinch 20 months ago and would come and go – sometimes for months at a time. It returned about 4 months ago and has been present more days than not since then.

There are three areas to my pain – 3 inches below and right of my right nipple area. Second area is directly across from my nipple to the right side of my ribcage. Third area is three inches or so under my right nipple area.

Have had LFTs, ultrasound, CT scan and Xray. Neg for Hep B and C. All tests okay (am thankful for that).

Have any of you had the same condition? Any diagnosis?

The following user gives a hug of support to Rheinau:
nitashaw (02-02-2011)
Old 11-17-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Re: Aching pain in Liver area – Normal Liver Function Tests

I had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago because it was non-functioning. I still feel the same pain on and off at times, although not as intense. My pain is under the ribcage where I had the gallbladder. Had many followup tests that came back normal. My surgeon said that I might not be able to process fats well, or it could be acid, or even just scar tissue.

It's a mystery! I've read others have the same symptoms afterwards, so you aren't alone.

Last edited by sunnydaze1; 11-17-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 08:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just an idea for ya here,but when you look at the 'front' and cannot find the reason for pain,you go to the "back".ALOT of ribcage area pain can be traced back to an actual spinal problem.it all depends on just what area of the spine is being affected and by what.could be many possibilities.just an FYI if you really do need to find the real trigger for the pain.this is a big possibility.it would appear from what you have described that all of your pain is within the same level?this could be the dermatome stemming from the nerve root in the spine.just something you should probably have checked out at least.it IS a very real possibility.an MRI done on the C and T spine would pretty much show if there is any real issues that could be causing this.it is just something that really should be ruled out so you can move onto other possibilities.tho you have had an x ray that would have possibly shown at least part of your spinal column,it would not have shown anything that you really need to actually see,the cord and nerve level.

it is always possible to have more than one strange thing going on in your body at the same time,trust me on that one.i wish you luck in tracking this pain,hopefuly you can find the answers soon.please keep me posted on what you actually find out,K?

Old 11-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
(female)

lori77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheinau View Post
I have read many posts where folks mention pain in the right ribcage in the liver area – also known as Upper Right Quadrant (URQ), but I don’t think I’ve seen one post with a definite diagnosis.

I a 40 yr old male (a nondrinker for 20 months) and have had the pain on and off for the last 20 months. My liver function tests have been within normal range. Recently tests revealed that my gall bladder was non-functional (no stones) and was removed 7 weeks ago. Still have the pain.

My pain is mild – pain level 2 or so. It started out as a pinch 20 months ago and would come and go – sometimes for months at a time. It returned about 4 months ago and has been present more days than not since then.

There are three areas to my pain – 3 inches below and right of my right nipple area. Second area is directly across from my nipple to the right side of my ribcage. Third area is three inches or so under my right nipple area.

Have had LFTs, ultrasound, CT scan and Xray. Neg for Hep B and C. All tests okay (am thankful for that).

Have any of you had the same condition? Any diagnosis?
WHat medications are you taking? What is your height and weight? Any other medical problems, signs or symptoms? Do you have aches and pains, chills, fatigue, nausea?

Old 11-19-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
(female)

PiaSava HB User

I get pain in my URQ, just like you descirbed. In different places and it started like a pinching feeling. I have normal LFT's and liver looks normal on ultrasound.

I had a colonscopy after the pain started and there were ulcers in my colon. They didn't give me a diagnose of IBD, since I hadn't had any problems with my intestines before.

Anyhow.. to make a long story short...

Prior to the pain in my URQ, I was having mild joint pains that I blamed on shoes etc. Now that pain is getting stronger and attacking more and more of my body. I have bad pain from my sacral area when sitting and I am looking into arthritis as a cause. (I actually feel like my tendons/ligaments are inflammed.) After a bit of research I found out that Arthritis and intestinal health are closely connected.

I have come to realize that the pain in my URQ, is ligament and tendon pain from inflammation. I think feelbad is right on track by saying this pain could be reffered pain from your spine.

Good Luck

Pia

Old 11-20-2007, 05:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

pia,so glad you were actually able to find the trigger or cause for your pain.many many people have alot of pretty severe spinal issues that becasue of just how our nerves run to many areas of our body,you would think it is actually a problem that is 'in' some organ or specific body part.checking the spinal areas for any unexplained abdominal type issues never hurts,espescially when all diagnostic teasts including labs all seem to be normal.i had no idea of all my c spine and spinal cord problems til it was revealed upon the MRI.also,any possible compromise of the vagas nerve that is up from the brain,then into the c spine area then winds(they call it the "wandering nerve')down thru the neck and into the bowel areas can cause a host of IBS like symptoms that are actually not really related specifically to the GI tract,just some level of a problem up in the c spine or along the throat areas.it just never hurts to check.hope things are going better for you.marcia

Closed Thread