It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
(female)

VickieLynn HB User
Red face I have a tumor in the liver > 1.5 cm Hemangioma right Hepatic Lobe

i just got some results from my Dr last night on a CT scan he did...... seems i have a cyst on my right ovary (recurring) so they wanna do a complete hysterecory which im fine with as i plan never to have any more kids, and i kinda knew the cyst was back from the pain i was having, but then my Dr threw me when he said i have a 1.5 cm Hemangioma (tumor) in teh right Hepatic Lobe of my liver, This worries me, I know nonthing about the liver area.... he says it appears non0cancerous (thanks god) but with all my Other health problems im still worried about this. Im a Brittle diabetic on 42 different meds a day and on an insulin pump, after 2 years im still out of control, my sugar ranges from 27-600 every day no matter if i eat or not, i have an overactive thyroid and was told im in the danger zone for that and also have eye problems,kidney probelms,copd in Both lungs,High colestrol,and lots more health probelms ..Just when i think im gettin better something else pops up..does anyone know what the Drs can do to get rid of the tumor? is it a safe priocedure? and how much pain is involved, I have spoken with my dr and he is looking for a Liver Dr for me at this time But id apppreciate alittle heads up on this, as i have been thru so much already............. thanks for reading and God Bless

The following user gives a hug of support to VickieLynn:
katzeyz51 (03-09-2011)
Old 11-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
(female)

neens7982 HB User
Re: I have a tumor in the liver > 1.5 cm Hemangioma right Hepatic Lobe

The hemangioma is nothing to worry about! I had one that was incidentally found after gallbladder surgery. I followed up on it and it began to grow. 20% of the population have them and for most people, they cause no problems and they don't grow. I had some slight uncomfortableness and had a scan of my abdomen two years after my gallbladder surgery. It had grown from 2.5 cm to 4cm. I went to see a hepatologist and a liver surgeon. They just followed up on it every year...they said there is no concern unless they become symptomatic. They told me mine is in a weird location on the liver. It is at the top of my liver and is starting to hit my diaphragm, which is now causing pain. I have an intense shoulder pain and right upper quad pain. I have a doc in Dallas who says that typically, they don't like to do anything with them, but Mine is fairly large...it is now 7 cm and I now have to schedule surgery because of it. Simply in the wrong location. Being 1.5, yours is really small. Other than maybe follow up on it in a year or two, there is nothing you need to do. Hopefully this helps!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2007, 05:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

what a hemangioma actually is is more of a lesion and not an actul hard tumor type thing.it is a glob of veinous blood vessels that is usually there from birth but just not known til some sort of scan is actually done and they just show up.while they can bleed at times,since these are veinous fed lesions and not arterial it is,if anything,very small oozes which really don't impact much when it is in the liver(alot tho never actually bleed).if you actually had one in your brain or spinal cord(mine was IN my actual cord) then it could present issues,some devistating ones with continued oozes.but having one within your liver,depending upon actual location,is really not a huge issue.my mom has had one in her liver for many many years and it was just found like two years ago upon ultrasound.no problems with it at all,and she is in her late 60s.just leaving the angioma alone is usually the best thing to do when it is in an organ.it really usually does not impact anything in any real way.unfortunetly,mine had to come out of my cord,it wasn't a pretty surgery or outcome.but mine was actively bleeding and closing off my cord space.but you should be okay where yours is located.hope things will get better for you.marcia

Old 11-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #4
(female)

corricatt HB User

In April '06 I had a hemangioma removed from my liver. It was the most painful surgery. 6 days in the hospital... It took 8 weeks before I felt human again! I have a hideous 11 inch scar across my right abdomen. If I knew then what I know now, I never would have let the doctors convince me to get it out. It was a $25,000 surgery that never had to happen. Gotta love our medical profession. In January of '07 I went back to the gastroenterologist -who sent me to the oncological surgeon that took it out (btw, he said the incision was so big because the tumor wasn't where it looked like on the scan, and took my gallbladder for the hell of it) -because I was having horrible acid indigestion and reflux. He put me on Protonix for a month and that solved that problem. When I told him the surgery ruined my life (I'm being treated for depression now) he said he was not sorry we did it. Of course not, he's making money on me!!!

Take the advice of the previous poster and keep track of it's size. With all your other health issues, that last thing you need is to be laid out on your back for 4 weeks because of the unbearable pain of the surgery.

Oh and by the way... I still feel the pain that sent me to my primary in the first place........ on my right side, at the bottom of the last rib. Sometimes it "burns" and when I bend over I still feel that "lump".. Nothing inside has changed but I'm 40 pounds heavier and very depressed!

Last edited by corricatt; 11-24-2007 at 05:28 AM.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

CC,so sorry for what you had to go thru and are living with now.i just wanted to mention something to you about cavernomas?the burning type pain you are still having,well there IS a possibility that you 'could' and i am saying 'could' possibly have some other hemangioma within your actual spinal cord that could also be casuing your symptoms.having one just makes the risk for possibly having another one somewhere a bit higher than the rest of the population.once they found the one i had in my c spine,they had to do my entire cord with MRI,all the way down to the sacral level,just to be certain there weren't anymore lurking in there somewhere.tho the likelyhood of having another there would be just abit higher than normal,it should be looked into just to be certain.just a thought for you.i am not trying to scare you,just letting you know the possibilitys.

the basic rule of thimb with these vascular veinous globs is to kind of leave them alone unless they are actively bleeding and causeing you some major pain or problems.so the indications were actually there for what your surgeon did,but unfortunetly,it is really difficult at times to realistically know with 100 % certaintly just what may or may not be an actual symptoms of the hemangioma itself.just what are they currently doing for you to try and manage your pain?just what does your pain feel like to you?again,sorry for what you are having to deal with.marcia

Old 12-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

cc, sorry for your trouble, i hope you are better! I jut wanted to say i can relate to this> I still feel the pain that sent me to my primary in the first place........ on my right side, at the bottom of the last rib. Sometimes it "burns" and when I bend over I still feel that "lump>(mine seems to be more at the top part of the rib i think)
How did they find this? Wouldn't an abdominal ultrasound or a hidiscan detect this? Or would it have to be a good size you think?
Love, Monkey

Old 12-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickieLynn View Post

i just got some results from my Dr last night on a CT scan he did...... seems i have a cyst on my right ovary (recurring) so they wanna do a complete hysterecory which im fine with as i plan never to have any more kids, and i kinda knew the cyst was back from the pain i was having, but then my Dr threw me when he said i have a 1.5 cm Hemangioma (tumor) in teh right Hepatic Lobe of my liver, This worries me, I know nonthing about the liver area.... he says it appears non0cancerous (thanks god) but with all my Other health problems im still worried about this. Im a Brittle diabetic on 42 different meds a day and on an insulin pump, after 2 years im still out of control, my sugar ranges from 27-600 every day no matter if i eat or not, i have an overactive thyroid and was told im in the danger zone for that and also have eye problems,kidney probelms,copd in Both lungs,High colestrol,and lots more health probelms ..Just when i think im gettin better something else pops up..does anyone know what the Drs can do to get rid of the tumor? is it a safe priocedure? and how much pain is involved, I have spoken with my dr and he is looking for a Liver Dr for me at this time But id apppreciate alittle heads up on this, as i have been thru so much already............. thanks for reading and God Bless

Vicki, my problems started just before they found ovarian cysts also, do you think this could all be related? I had a hysterectomy but they left the ovaries, i had it do to suspicous cells in the cervix or uterus.
Love, Monkey

Old 01-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
(female)

neens7982 HB User

They usually don't touch hemangiomas unless they become very large or symptomatic. I recently had a liver resection to remove mine due to it continually growing and becoming symptomatic. It was 7cm. I am very glad that I had the surgery done. Now, I have no more shoulder pain (which was referred pain).

Good luck to you.

Closed Thread